Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model a coupe headed for the scrap yard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33_chevy, Jul 18, 2010.

1. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

If you can do the work yourself or have close friends to help, keep the car and have at it. However, if you were going to have to pay for someone to do the work, I would say, sell this one off to someone else who can do the work, and take the cash and get a better body.
    You'll end up paying big money if you're paying someone else. Or if you want to learn how to do metal work, this is a good start and the price was right. I did a Rambler for a guy and it was $14,000 in metal work, I found him a rust free car for $900, don't ask me why but, he went for the complete restoration of the one he had. I'm not complaining but, it didn't make sense to me.
    I buy stuff like this coupe all the time and restore/ hot rod them but, I'm not paying someone to do it so its worth it to me.
    Have fun, whatever you decide to do, at the very least, you saved it.

2. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

This car will be in my garage with me hammering away on it,that's what hotrodding is all about,or at least that's the way i see it,not putting anyone down for having to pay someone else but young guys build hot rods in the 50 and 60's late at night in there own garage,it don't get any better than that if you ask me,i don't have all the fancy proper tools but i have some skills and i do the best i can.

3. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

x10

nice score, i hope you but it back together.

4. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

That car is not worth saving. I'll double your money. I'll be there this week, cash in hand. :)

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

$350? ya done good.

6. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Good job you saved it, it would be a shame if that had been crushed. Something like that would fetch a lot here in the UK. The metalwork can be done. If you don't have the skills you can learn them. Like most things its just knowing the basics and practicing.

7. MODELA30

MODELA30

Wow!!!! $350.00 thats a fucking deal. So really tell us what kind of gun were you holding at the guy the time you got it. You did great. Knuck from indiana.

8. 2drmerc

2drmerc

if you find that you cant do it then would you send it to

2drmerc
    unit 8 north hill ind est
    horndon
    essex
    england

but seriously good luck

9. It's soooo rude to ask what he paid for it (sarcasm).

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

So, you'd lock up an 88 year old widow that had it setting in the shed attached to the garage for the last 40/50 years, after her son was killed in Nam...???

There's always more than one side to the story...could be the person hauling it to the crusher didn't have any idea "junk" like that could be desirable...could be it was just an "old body" to him worth only the price of scrap...not everyone is in the know all the time.

R-

11. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

YOU BASTARD! Don't send that beautiful metal to its grave!

12. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd get my ass over to that scrap yard first thing to see what else is there!

14. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I was gonna call bullshit!

I guess you are serious though? People dream about a find like that for 5X that much money. Hell the dropped axle is worth that, and you got the rest for free!

Good Job!

15. You wouldn't want to see what you could buy here for 350, that's one hell of a deal !

16. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

33 Chevy, glad you're building it yourself and all the power to you. All I was stating was if you can't build it yourself, it would be cheaper to start with a better body instead of paying someone to repair this one. If you can work on it yourself, go for it, thats all the better and you're 100% correct, thats the way most built them. I want to see you post a thread on the build, I'll be watching for it.

17. Kerry67

Kerry67

If nothing else it is cool to have sitting around

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a lot nicer than the Chopped 29 A sedan body I was willing to pay a lot more for a few months ago. Nice find and save.

19. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

I dare you to scrap it. I have scraped alot of model t and A stuff. I guess I got tired of the flakey HAMBsters here. Like yeah man I'll be there tomorrow and I wont call or show up. Also too many cheap bastards out there.

20. ^^^ The flakes and lowballers are everywhere.....

I do GM G-body cars primarily, and the cars are prone to rust in the doors, and even moreso in HI. On the occasion I find good doors, I list them at market price and people locally want them for $100... One guy kept buggin me to sell him a rust-free El Camino door for $100... I wanted $400... Rust-free sun belt parts will cost you $400 + frt to HI and this was rust free....

He'd call every week, asking the same question: "would you take $100?"

Finally, I sold it to a friend with a body shop for a customers car. The next week the guy calls again and I tell him I sold it... he said I would have given you the $400... I told him then you should have... :D

21. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

You are too kind. I would have told him that it went to the crusher !