Register now to get rid of these ads!

What color is it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr.gussett, Jul 18, 2010.

1. mr.gussett

mr.gussett

Is there a typical or most prominent color you would rather see on a rod?
    :confused:

2. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

All cars should be paintd white, red or black.

3. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

the one you want

4. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

nanner yellow

5. ChevyDevil

ChevyDevil

Whatever you want, but if you pick an odd one, you better be ready to defend it. I'm partial to red myself.

6. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Color is a combination of pigments...combined in such a way to give tone to items...Black is the combination of all colors, while white remains the absence of all color...white is the hardest pigment to produce while black is the easiest.

Ther basic colors are red, yello, blue...these colors can combine to make nearly any color you can imagine...

Color derives from the spectrum of light (distribution of light energy versus wavelength) interacting in the eye with the spectral sensitivities of the light receptors. Color categories and physical specifications of color are also associated with objects, materials, light sources, etc., based on their physical properties such as light absorption, reflection, or emission spectra.

The science of color is sometimes called chromatics. It includes the perception of color by the human eye and brain, the origin of color in materials, color theory in art, and the physics of electromagnetic radiation in the visible range (that is, what we commonly refer to simply as light).

In plainer words, paint the car whatever color YOU like...

R-

8. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

I think wallpaper would be different.
    (are you serious with this question?)

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm rather partial to the maroon side of the red spectrum but paint color has to be the owners choice.

When choosing a paint color for a vehicle several things have to be considered though:

The total look of the vehicle. Some colors overpower the car.
    If you are building a period correct car does the paint match the period?
    Will the color look "so last year", next year or will it have a timeless look to it?
    Does it look good out in bright daylight, under the lights indoors and under street lights?

There was a dark green roadster at Billetproof NW that just spun my wheels. The car isn't really a lot different than dozens of other Ford Highboy roadsters but the whole package was just flat timeless and will look just as good five years from now as it does today. It was a bit sneeky as a guy may walk past it and then it grabs you with the "hey that car is so right".

I love the look of that reddish copper that is on some of the new Mitsubishi Eclipse but that color will probably look dated on a rod or custom in two years and it doesn't really fit the era I want unless I went for the "candy tangerine streamlined baby" look.

10. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Just don't let your wife pick out some pastel blue or turquois. A guy builds a nice car and then some women picks a dumb-ass color. Any roadster should be red (mine was).

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

why are you asking OTHER people what they think? Paint it a color you find pleasing to your own eye and remember that you cannot please all the people all the time. I'm amazed at the number of folks that get on here and ask opinions about what they should do....do what you like. Are you this trepidatious when you dress in the morning? I have friends with several cars....one of them has three hot rods - all black, one has two - a blue coupe and a red roadster. They didn't check with anyone before they lit off the paint gun....of course, you have to start with some self-confidence (aka 'grow a pair').

dj

12. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

I'm partial to gun metal blue.

13. skidsteer

skidsteer

Growing up in the 50's, flat black (primer) was the norm in my neighborhood, simply because of the cost factor. Also, yellow was popular, because we knew a guy who worked in the street dept, and he got the "empty" barrels of paint they used for painting the yellow line down the middle of the road.

14. rodger6494

rodger6494

I don't know.. Some cars (I'm talking factory at this particular moment) do tend to look better with a certain color.Maybe that's in my mind. In general though,I like deuces either red,or yellow,low slung cars in darker colors,or black,and the bigger cars from the mid early 60's in med blue.Those are just my personal tastes in general,and every now and then something totally out of left field grabs my eye, and throws everything I just said out the window. So what I'm really saying is "whatever floats your boat is fine with me."

15. IMHO not all colors will look good on all vehicles. As was mentioned earlier, if you pick a strange color, there will always be the element that will bitch about your choice. They probably won't understand that it is in fact "Your Choice" and that you are the only one that will live with it. As for me, I am partial to dull shades of green - gray, again depending on the vehicle.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  16. my opinion isn't important it's your car built to your taste pick a colour you like and go with it but be careful some colours you will tire of fast

17. rodger6494

rodger6494

When I used to be a truck driver,my last truck was lime green. Most responses I got was either they absolutely loved it,or hated it. It was almost always a strong reaction to the color,but I loved it,and those that complained about it,were just told that it was MY truck,and not to worry about it.

18. zzford

zzford

Paint any color but flat black.

19. mr.gussett

mr.gussett

Thanks for all of the comments! Your right! It is MY choice to paint or ...not to paint!:rolleyes:

20. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

You can paint it any color, you want so long as it's black........

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

You can have any flavor you like as long as it's vanilla...

R-