Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traded my Pontiac for a whole CREW!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blam, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Blam

Blam

i was thinking it'd be cool to put a Y-Block in it, but that might be opening up a whole can worms...

2. Moondog13

Moondog13

You did good man! I've always liked those vans. :D

3. Hellfish

Hellfish

I think a Y-block would be a lot of work and a lot heavier than a 289/302. You can stuff in a 351W, but will have to cut up the floor and dogbox.

Yes, a 300 6 will easily replace the 240. I believe Clifford's carries intakes for the 240/300.

Any significant lowering in Econolines is tricky. Lowering the rear requires cutting up the floor/frame, and lowering the front requires a LOT of engineering and restructuring. It's been covered a lot on the HAMB.

4. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

selling your ride to pay bills suck! but looks like u got a cool van and cafe racer , its all about what u like...

5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I think ya did a good job.
    1)Those Cushmans are a real hoot. They go forever. I had a 58 Eagle that could do about 55. Its a mini harley.
    2) I had an old Ma Bell van in the early 80's. Lotsa fun too.
    3) The corner carver, whew!

6. Slow55

Slow55

Side pipes and avocado green shag carpet are a must. Nehru shirt is optional.

7. Kerry67

Kerry67

Can't say I am a fan of the Van but the Cushman is really cool. I really liked the Pontiac, too bad you had to get rid of it. Lets see some pics of the van after you mess around with it.

8. Mathew21

Mathew21

Cool Van but I really want your Cushman.

9. 62cadd

62cadd

Update on the van ?? pics with the new shoes ?

10. Blam

Blam

I'm not gonna go crazy lowering it. I just wanna remove a few leaves to put it down a couple of inches, that shouldn't be a problem right?

11. yep...8 doors are rare....really rare...nice Poncho...but think you did okay...cushmans cool too...

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

probably not. Only one way to know for sure. :D

13. Blam

Blam

I'm not familiar with lowering a uni-body, that is my main concern.

14. Hellfish

Hellfish

It's not the unibody part that's the problem. The forward controls are. The steering and all the suspension geometry are very affected by lowering in an Econoline, plus since you sit on the wheel well, that can be affected as well. The "frame" is straight in the rear with no kickup for the axle, so with minimal lowering you'll have a rear end hitting the frame... so, you have to cutout and make a c-section in the rear, thus losing interior space in the bed/cargo area. It can be done, but it's a LOT of work.

15. erock805

erock805

pulling a couple of leafs (if the leafs are in not already sagging a bunch) will be no issue. You always have trade offs when lowering...

Just the way it is... But they look so damn cool! Id swap a 300...in it when the time comes...sound way cool, and different..

Have fun either way!

16. nailheadrod

nailheadrod

Man, a van, are you going to grow a mustache and put "Free Candy" on the side of it? What does you dad think of you having that in front of his shop? You and Sean will have to start a van club, haha.

17. I would ask for the poncho back?

18. A lot of guys sell their rides to pay bills, AND don't have an old car anymore. I dig those Econolines and A100s. Plus, put a little time and money into the van, then sell it or trade for your NEXT old car. And so the circle of life continues.....

19. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

you got to do what you got to do sometimes! Nice econoline and cool bikes....Good luck with the project!

20. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

The Pontiac had the coolness of all three put together,,Oh Well,,,
    Bright Side!!!
    You have everything that's needed to start an Ice Cream Bizness,,,
    "Mommie can I have a dollar? Here comes the Ice Cream Man",,,ding a ling ding a ling,,,

21. I have a soft spot for a '60 Pontiac... one of the best taillights, ever! But I like what you got in trade....very cool stuff with lots of potential. The Honda sweet... it makes me want one. Nice trade.

22. What you did was honorable to pay the bills. Problem i have is this is about as on topic as my 1966 Belair wagon.

23. Blam

Blam

Way ahead of you. Sean stopped by the other day and we were comparing vans and mustaches. I'm really pushing for a club name Vandito's, even if i'm the only member...

24. Blam

Blam

Would it help if i told you it was a 61 instead?

25. You gotta do whats best to pay bills off. I am learning that as well. Old cars are great but living comes first. Glad you got something out of it. Like some people said You can always sell what you have later and save up for another old ride. The older the better. Enjoy what you got bud.

26. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

The pontiac is a cool body style, but I think i'd rather have the van and bikes.

27. The only other 8 door van I've ever seen was a old Dodge owned by a friend's family. I think they were generally sold in bigger cities with a lot of one-way streets. They allowed "curbside" deliveries regardless of which side the street you parked on. Heard they were also favored by florists and caterers so they could unload without having to lift and drag stuff over their other merchandise.

Maybe you could paint it up like a boxcar, but if you let it sit too long with the doors open you might have to roust the hobos out of it! :D

28. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

<TABLE id=post5360236 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 0px solid" class=thead><!-- status icon and date -->[​IMG] 06-22-2010, 05:21 AM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=thead align=right> #8 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>Winged Avenger II<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_5360236", true); </SCRIPT>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Quote from the winged avenger II......"got rid of a poncho for a bunch of crap"

When I read these mindless statements from others I usually look at their profile.
    You know, to see what they are all about. Hmm, this one has no friends. I wonder why? Also, I see no photos of THEIR car(s).
    Why take the time post anything if the intent, or potential, is to hurt someones feelings? Most likely these words are from pimply faced 13 year olds living in a fantasy world or super anal retentive types.
    Hey, Blam, the Econoline looks very cool. As someone requested, keep us updated on the progress!!