Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best engine stand for the money?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanIam, Jul 16, 2010.

1. DanIam

DanIam

I want to buy and engine stand and Harbor Freight has the 1000 pound stand on sale for $49. The 2000 pound stand with folding legs (for storage) is $99. Are these decent stands for the money? Any reason I should steer clear of these, or is there anything better on the market?

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

TORIN big red engine stand, 1250 lbs capasity, $80.00

Google it and you can find one close to you.

3. DanIam

DanIam

Thanks!

4. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

just watch craigslist people are almost giving away heavy duty stands, they become clutter in a small garage after a while.

5. HF is alright if you get the Hd one I have the Cherry picker, the fold up one

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  6. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

I bought a good quality engine stand back in the 70's, it cost $125 back then. The same quality stand today would be $250 + some. I still have the original stand I bought way back then & have no regrets buying a good stand. I now have 6 more as good and some better. The scrap guys come by my shop all the time with the Harbor Freight, light and heavy duty stands that people are tossing out. They never have a good stand that was tossed.
    Van

7. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

alot of people buy and use once then sell them. but what i dont understand is they effin sell them for 40! wtf u caan get a new one for 50. i doughbt they get 40 but ... well i get them given to me be caus there in peoples way. and im stupid enoguh to drag clutter home. ive only got one extra now. its a good rag drying rack! LOL

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I really dig these Cornwell gear driven stands.

about $250 and worth every penny if you use them regularly.

9. fatrhino

fatrhino

All of the cheap ones seem to be pretty flimsy and the nice ones are all very very expensive just to hold up a motor
    What I would do is get any old cheap used one from craigslist or somewhere used, and beef it up with some extra square stock, maybe add a nicer handle/turning/lock mechanism, and make sure the wheels are decent enough to make it around your floor

10. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I've got 2 of the 2000lb ones, with the folding legs. I've got 900lb Caddy flatheads on them, with no problems. Pretty good buy for the money.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  11. Consider the folding leg ones carefully. Got a 327 from a guy on one of the folding stands. As he was rolling it to the overhead door, the leg folded, dropping the block right into his freshley painted 55 Chevy. No damage to the block, but the rear quarter would make a grown man cry!