Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a little help to ID a posi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39ChevyRatRod, Jul 16, 2010.

1. 39ChevyRatRod

39ChevyRatRod

I am currently working on a 64 ElCamino and the posi isn't holding, so I took the cover off to investigate and this is what I found. What kind of posi unit is this? The rear is original to the car as far as I am able to tell and is a 10 bolt. I presume it needs new clutches but need to know what make this is to find parts.

Attached Files:

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8.2" 10-bolt used cones in the diff that are impossible fo find or fix once worn out. replace it with a richmond or auburn.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Did you do anything to try to make it work before disassembling it? Sometimes, all they need is a fresh dose of limited slip additive.

4. 39ChevyRatRod

39ChevyRatRod

Yea I tried slip lube, no luck. I havent taken it apart yet to find the trouble just removed the cover to look. I have seen other cone types coaxed into working agian buy taking some material off the bottom of the cone to allow it to seat a bit farther down, I will take it apart someday and see if that can be done to this one. Thanks for the ID though, I thought all GM limited slips had the pressure plates on top of the side gears, this is the first I had seen with the pressure plates under the side gears.

5. contact randy's ring and pinion in everett wa. they could probably help.