Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 1st. FLATHEAD NATIONALS PICS...FRI MORNING

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gooseta2, Jul 16, 2010.

1. gooseta2

gooseta2

Here are some pics from Friday morning at about 11 am..( this place is the most beautiful spot for a carshow I've ever seen...great layout)..It's going on the whole weekend...Mark Kirby has a Professional photographer coming in for tonight and Sat & Sun..Food...Bands...Fun...Vendors.....So as I get the pics I'll post them.....As of about 11am we had about 50 cars....all flathead powered...except 2 mustangs and a 67 nova.....There was still a steady stream of cars coming in when I left at 3pm...But please remember this is the first year...when I just called Kirby they were up to about 100 vehicals.....so here are some pics....Sorry they are a little fuzzy....had too much coffee....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  2. gooseta2

gooseta2

3. gooseta2

gooseta2

4. gooseta2

gooseta2

5. flat34pu

flat34pu

:Dcant wait to see more pic's, it looks like a great 1st and something i am going to have to work at to get to.
    rich

6. I wonder what sort of event the owners of the Mustangs and the Nova thought they were going to? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pics.

7. Nice representation. Thanks for the pics.

8. gooseta2

gooseta2

it was open to all years this first year just to get a better attendence....And when I drove my 67 nove there I thought I was going to the flathead nationals....lol ..I had another show to hit....my shoe was acting up

9. whats the story on those motor city heads?

10. good stuff! thank you!

11. gooseta2

gooseta2

...we sell them at Shadowrods.com.....flow tested.....and kill the competition....

12. Nice pics.....thanx !!

More pls !!

Rat

13. Here's a few pix I took from Saturday. I'd like to thank The Kirbys, Ric and Lisa and their extended family for putting on such a cool and unique event. Also I'd like to thank the local club that worked the event and made everyone feel really comfortable and welcome. The show is still going on today (Sunday July 18th), so if you're able, slip on over to Dundee and take it in.

Since I had never been to Dundee before in my 10 years of living in Michigan, I thought I'd check it out. I found Dundee to be a pretty neat little town that seems perfect for a traditional show.

Enjoy! -Mark

[​IMG]

The River Raisin runs right through the heart of town.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow, look...a functioning downtown; you don't see that much anymore.
    [​IMG]

Nice to see a hardware store downtown and open for business.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice little Town Green they have too, complete with a bandstand.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Great idea for an event...

15. Like others have mentioned, the grounds for the first Flathead Nationals are amongst the most beautiful, relaxing places I've ever attended a car event at. What makes for good insurance that this event will continue on is that this is not a city, county, state nor municipal park in any way...it belongs to Ric and Lisa's family and it sure was nice of their family to share it with us all. Thanks again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neat stanchions for the swap meet signage, eh?

[​IMG]

A table full of new go fast goodies for your flathead!
    [​IMG]

A 'big enough 'stage with lots of PA and speakers....I couldn't stay for the band, perhaps someone else has pix from their performance...

[​IMG]

16. So why are we here? Flatheads, of course! Mark Kirby had this one on a display stand and will happily fire it up for you and yes, it sounded great. Again if you can make it out to Dundee today, I highly recommend it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. More, more more...

[​IMG]

This Mercury wins my informal 'If I could take one car home' award...love this car, love the look, the stance, the power and the attitude.
    Love it all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve, it was great chatting with you and your friends and thank you for letting me shoot your beautiful roadster. I hope to run into you again down the road...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even the turn signal was cool.
    [​IMG]

Anyone care to guess the origin of this badge? Steve has a good story to go along with it's comical style.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

funny how just a few weeks ago I got ripped on here for even mentioning the fact that I was gonna run an alternator on my flatty, and then I see all these pics of truely nice flatheads with mostly g/m alternators....hmmmmm

19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

must be a conspiracy , not a 4 banger anywhere !! .................. great pix ... steve

20. More, more, more.
    Again, great cars, great location, great low-key event.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone care for some shiny black paint?
    This pix is raw, I have not enhanced it in any way-amazing paint.

[​IMG]

This pix is raw too...again amazing paint.

[​IMG]

All that shiny black paint belongs to this great car.
    [​IMG]

...and it's Ardun-enhanced flattie.
    [​IMG]

21. smartresins

smartresins
    from NY

Great stuff there! thanks for sharing!

22. Okay...last post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sweet dash....
    [​IMG]

I'd like to learn more about this Motorola column cluster.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shadow Rods brought a few of their XL27s out. Here's one; they appear quite roomy on the inside.

[​IMG]

Thanks also to Larry for chatting with me and letting me shoot his very red, Navarro-enhanced roadster.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark Kirby's 'Test Car', a flathead we see all over the Midwest with a lot of miles on it-a testament to his great engineering, design and engine building skills.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry I don't have a better pix to showcase this elegant and unique trophy plaque. If I heard correctly, they were milled from CAD data and with finishing took around 10 hours to complete each one-someone please correct me if I have that wrong but all in all a very special award that anyone would love to earn.
    [​IMG]

Mrs. Kirby showing the award off...amazing piece.
    [​IMG]

Thanks again to the Kirbys, Motorcity Flathead, Ric and Lisa and their family for putting on what we hope is the first in a long line of great, fun, low-key Flathead Nationals out in beautiful Dundee, MI.
    If you have time today, the show is still going on. Stop by and take it in if you can.
    All the best-Mark

23. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Wow! Very cool event and pics! Thanks for posting.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let em rip dude. Fact is that most of the "rippers" are probably sheep quoting from hardcore old timers and have nothing.

Looks like a kool event for the future. You folks need to really spread the word and maybe change the date. You're piggybacked on the Early V8 Club swap at Bellville. Could be good, could be bad. JMO. How many cars showed up?

25. ChekrdPast

ChekrdPast

Hopefully my '53 Merc Flatty is headed to the machine shop in a couple weeks. Pictures are good motivation to get it running. Good luck with the show and maybe I'll make the drive from NYC and see you next year !

26. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

It really doesnt matter what form the flathead takes,wheather its stock,modified or hugely modified,it sends a shudder down the spine.What a great idea for an event,great pics and its events like this that become true testament to the flathead as a hotrodding legend.

27. Oh Baby! I am in love!

Thanks for the coverage guys.

Attached Files:

28. fordcpe

fordcpe

Just got back drove 2 hours. First went to little deerborn swap then to Kirby's show. Very nice place I will go back and here are some picks from today. Darrell

Attached Files:

29. Why the hell was I at the FMRCOA swap meet in Belleville trying to peddle a few
    Ford parts when I could have been in Dundee.

30. StrickV8

StrickV8

great pics! thanks for sharing