Register now to get rid of these ads!

1931 Chevy coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod56cars, Jul 10, 2010.

1. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

handle is 31 chev, I have 2, 31 chevys, the dash on a chevy is one piece, top and bottom, not like a ford, where the lower dash is the gas tank, and there is an upper rail, earlier chevies are the same, 1 piece, but different in design than 31 and 32, 32 is slightly different on the top reveal.

2. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Maybe it's a Pontiac? Olds? Buick? :confused: It doesn't really matter.

The body can not be attached to the frame to build a sub frame because the body does not attach to the frame, the subframe connects the body and frame together. "Rome wasn't built in a day" and I"m just getting started on this one, it will be tied together left to right.

3. Ghost28

Ghost28

4. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

Who said attach the body to the frame, all I said is build the sub frame for the body with the body on the frame, do this only if you want your doors and everything else to fit ...hey you know what your doing, im only trying to help. oh yeah the visors wrong for the car.. not chevy either, looks like it goes with the dash, model a probably

5. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

Here is a Chevy I sold a couple years back after pulling it out of the woods.[​IMG]
    This is a frame i still have. HAMB members have told me it is '31 Chevy?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

heres some dash pictures for you, blue dash with all the gauges is 31, The other dark blue one is orig 31, copper one is 30, non have a seperate rail on top,

Attached Files:

7. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Yep, I agree. That upper dash rail is out of a model A Ford and the visor, probably the same. I definately don't know the details of any of the early years, except for deuce pickups. The upper dash rail wood had these steel brackets that were held on by screws, they looked like a stock part should look, and the dash was green... so I thought they were original to the car... :p
    So that's great, I know it's a 1931 Chevy. Thanks for the help! :D

8. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

DAM THAT DASH IS SWEET lol i thought that thing would be almost done by now keep at it jim

9. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Now put a Ford in her just to keep things even .....

10. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Ohoh, I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. :eek:

11. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Progress has been very slow on my project, after over a year and a half of unemployment I got a job. :)

12. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

Great thread !!

13. Yeagley

Yeagley

Great build! I just picked up 2 1931 Pontiac 4 door sedan bodies. They are just sheet metal. I will be doing what you are doing. I like your rocker idea. Keep it up.

14. Normbc9

Normbc9

I have a '32 sedan and the wood is under attack from termites and rot. I'm just getting up enough nerve to try and tackle the replacement of the wood. I did find a supplier in New Hampshire but it isn't cheap.
    Normbc9

15. Keep up the good work. I have a 33 Chevy Cabriolet that I'm replacing the wood with steel. I bought it in pieces and I'm slowly putting it together. Looks like you're on the right track.

16. bald_1

bald_1

good lunk on that coupe .im building one also .i had all wood intact kind of made it sort of easy .anything can do give me a shout [email protected]

17. Chevy outsold Ford especially when Henry closed the factory to begin producing the Model A and in subsequent years, Chevy, used a wooden frame for its cars, Ford used steel, one too good to last until this time...