Register now to get rid of these ads!

1931 Chevy coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod56cars, Jul 10, 2010.

1. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

I bought a 1931 Chevy coupe, or so I was told that's what it was. It's just the main body shell, the doors, a hacked up bare stock frame, and a 12 bolt Chevy rear axle. I'll let the pics do most of the talking. These pics show what I started with.

Attached Files:

2. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

The way they put these things together is nuts. I don't have expensive "shop" tools.

Attached Files:

3. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

The dash looks sweet in there. The new rockers look purposely different than how they were originaly made. I have more ideas that will go along with that new rocker shape. That's pretty much how the project looks now.

Attached Files:

4. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Looks killer from here,dash is a nice piece!

5. Great start, keep those pics coming.:D

6. 55chevr

55chevr

I passed on a 34 Chevy because it was basically a wood framed car with a metal skin. Almost a stage coach with an engine. The car didnt look bad but the wood was soft and the doors sagged. The more I looked at the more it looked like a wood working project. That was when I decided Ford really did have a better idea.

7. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Looks like a good start. Nice to see old Chevrolets coming back to life.
    Subscribed for updates.

8. Rev. Whitewall

Rev. Whitewall

Cant wait to see more! Subscribed as well....

9. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

You're off to good start with metal work. I'm in same boat with my Chevy so I'll definately be checking on this thread.

10. Ghost28

Ghost28

Oh yeah it's a 31. It looks like you got a good start on it, I'll follow along.

11. Mean Lean

Mean Lean

I started with the same, some years ago. But after you have finished the car you have learned a lot, like bodywork, welding and so on. Keep the pics coming.

Attached Files:

Kreepea_1 likes this.
  12. HARD EDDY

HARD EDDY

nice too see more chevys comin out.

13. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

I bought a 33 chevy in the early 90's I removed all the wood and replaced it with steel. My first tool I bought for the project was a shrinker/stretcher I bent some angle and formed it around the inside to replace the wood. it is stronger then ever now
    keep up the food work, it looks like a start of a great ride:)

14. Another Chevy coming back to life. Good job!

-mikethegreek-

15. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

A lot more interest than I thought it would get. Thanks.

"... Stage coach with an engine..." check the pic of the Fisher body tag :D . These old Chevy's have some really cool lines that a Ford can only dream of and a (very old) Chevy dreams of having a Ford's structural steel strength. Look at a few of these lines, they're sweet! This old Chevy has to be a woman, check the curves.

Attached Files:

16. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

There's quite a bit of bad work done before I got ahold of it.

Attached Files:

17. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

I'm not certain of it's year or it's make (other than Fisher) due to the stock upper dash rail, I've never seen one that looked exactly like mine. With the 1931 Chevy dashboards that I've seen the upper dash rail has a wider "flat spot" in the middle of the rail.

Also while I got ahold of a few early Chevy fans, I've noticed some 1931 Chevy's have a bunch of louver's in the hood sides and others have 4 doors or vents in the hood, why the differences? Thanks

Attached Files:

18. The 4 Vent Hoods are 1932's as far as I've seen. The earlier 1929-1930 have louvers that aere only about half of the hood sides.

19. texkbc

texkbc

Here is my 31. Are you going to use the stock frame? What kind of suspension are you considering.

Attached Files:

20. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

texkbc's 1931 Chevy's upper dash rail is completely different than mine, his is typical for a 1931 Chevy, mine has to be a Pontiac or Olds or something other than a 1931 Chevy.

I have a stock slightly butchered bare frame, I'm not sure if I'm going to use it or not. It's going to have a solid front axle with a single (Ford) buggy spring. I have a 12 bolt Chevy rear axle and a 350 4 bolt main Chevy for it.

21. MODELA30

MODELA30

Cool chevy hard to find these. Depression era cars especially chevys are rare they did not make that many because chevy's prices were higher than the fords.

22. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

Not sure how you can figure rare, chevy out sold ford 3 years in a row starting in 1929 and ending in 1931, now lets talk about wood

23. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

24. MODELA30

MODELA30

I still hold my ground on chevy not selling as many as ford. Ford held sales superioraty up till 1927 or 28. Chevy did sell more that year due to ford retooling from the model t to the a. Ford outsold chevy in 29-31. Late 31 chevy did out sell ford but not by much but at that time chevy as ford were dead from car sales due to the depression. Yes the wood frame work and not steel also played a huge part but that still constitutes a rare car. Well at least in my book. You just do not see as many chevys than fords during those years. Knuck from indiana.

25. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

I correct myself on that, chevy out sold ford for 4 years straight not 3, 1928-1931, actually in 1928 chevy out sold almost ford 2 to 1, chevy sold almost 1.2 million million cars and ford less than 700 thousand, look at the numbers, everybody wanted the 6 cylinder over the 4, we can argue but the numbers tell the story, you dont see as many chevys now because of the popularity of the fords over the years, and nobody wants to deal with the wood, there out there and if you notice there is more and more, hey im a ford guy, but I have a few chevys only because i had one when i was a kid, When you compare them now, the chev is actually a better car, in my opinion

26. MODELA30

MODELA30

Well i dont consider myself a chevy or ford guy. I have owned both i do as i speak. I guess as american we should stop talking about each other and complain of the foreign stuff around us. We have brought up some good points. Thanks. Knuck from indiana.

27. I don't know where you get your info, but Chevy outsold Ford in 1929-1931 by a 3 to 1 margin.

28. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

No one recognizes my car's upper dash rail? :confused:

Pics of the new front body mounts, not in the stock location.

Attached Files:

29. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

Yup, its not off a chevy, chev's dash is all one piece, You need to tie that body in lft to right, also you should be building the subframe for the body, with the body on the frame.

30. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

It's very difficult to find good quality pics of the dash of other 1929-1931 Fisher body's. I think the outside door handle might be another clue as to what it actually is.

Attached Files: