Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Buick Dynaflow transmission - shops/rebuilds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hackery, Jul 16, 2010.

1. hackery

hackery

Hello,

I been restoring my 56 Buick Special and got the engine running pretty decent but now my transmission just went out :mad: I now need to find a shop that rebuilds/works on Dynaflows at a <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->reasonable price and that is located somewhere in northern California, preferably in the San Jose area. Anyone know of a decent shop or person that is suited for these old ass massive transmissions?

Thanks!

2. Well, i have had estimates on my 53 caddy hydro, and the cheepest was $2500.
    You always have adapter options like bendstens, and that should save you some moneys in the long run. Just my .02.

3. hackery

hackery

thanks hotroddub, I was contemplating the adapter options but from research it would cost about $500+ for adapter and then I would still need to change/modify the rear end so I am looking at close to about 1k. For now, I think I would rather just keep it original.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Last time I had a Dynaflow rebuilt it was about $1200. Find the old transmission shop in your area, the one with the crotchety old dudes in it. They usually are the ones that can do it. The one here it's the retired father that comes in and does them.

5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

At that price I'd get a book and a kit. You really dont have anything to lose and knowledge to gain. Its 40/50's technology. Remember the simplicity part of why we love these cars? I mean if youre considering adaptor, then what the heck?

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

as expressed in this other thread.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299377
    the Dynaflow is not the one to learn on....

7. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

If that ever happened to me, I'd adapt to an ST/SP400 without a doubt. All you're really going to need to do with the rear end is swap the center section out and fabricate a couple locators.

The Dynaflow is basically a one-speed slushbox. I've heard horror stories about guys who had expensive rebuilds, only for them to leak not soon after being overhauled.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That will work on the 57 but not on a 56, different bellhousing pattern. The 56 can be adapted to a TH400 or TH350 with a chevy pattern but you can't bolt the ST/SP400 on like you can the 57 and up.

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A bud of mine owned/operated RPM transmission for years, he's semi-retired. Specialized in Hydramatic, Dynaflow, Powerflite...Shop was on Winchester, in Campbell.
    Last thing I heard, he will still do a repair/rebuild tranny job, (carry in only)
    His name is Bill Young, may be in the phone book. (also Campbell) Fair and thorough, I swear by him.
    Bill had a light blue '41 Ford pickup he used to show in 1958-60. Many awards, mild custom.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Bummer, maybe. Is it more expensive to do a TH400/TH350? I was under the impression the ST400 is basically the same transmission.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The ST400 is basically a TH400 that will bolt to the later (57-66) Nailheads. That's the sweet thing about it, no silly adapter. The decent adapters are
    $700 dollars or so. But then you need to redo the rear suspension as well as swap rears for the 56, the 57 you can actually just do a set of trailing arms and the center section of a early 60's full size Buick to convert to open driveline.

13. hackery

hackery

That great info Mike! I am going to try to locate shop and Bill. I contacted a couple of transmission shops in the san jose area and some were like hummm, well...it's going to be expensive and I found another that is supposed to have experience with them and his dad also rebuilt them when he owned the shop. I just don't want to drop over $1500 to get it going :(

14. napoli

napoli
    from Qatar

Hi guys,
    I own a 56 Buick Special Convertable and although the engine runs well unfortunatly the tranny is not. Its a three speed so I have to hold onto first gear as it tends to want to jump out. Second gear needs to be coaxed in gently but third is fine. I did look online to search for a kit for the manual tranny repair. The link posted (ceedar creek?) only has a kit for the auto and not the manual tranny. Any chance there you guys know of another outfit I can get the repair kit for the 3 speed manual?

Best regards,

Bill

15. missysdad1

missysdad1

Spend your $$$ the way you want, but the last thing I'd do is rebuild the Dynaflo. It never was any good so by stretching its lifetime expensively you won't really gain anything...except more misery in the future.

If you've gotta keep the original mill, go the conversion route and modify the stock rear to open drive as explained above.

Otherwise find a good running early to mid '60s Buick with a 401/turbohydro - try Craigs List and buy the whole car. Swap in the motor and tranny, use the rear axle center section as ZMAN suggested.

Also, a smallblock Chevy with TH350 is a very good fit though you'll still have to deal with the rear end conversion or replacement to open drive.

Mine is '77 Chevelle from front to rear with the 4-link Chevelle rear suspension swapped in by Carl's Hot Rods in Red Oak, Texas. You can see details and photos on the thread in the Tri-Five Buick HAMB social group. The motor/trans is easy but the rear suspension graft is not for the faint of heart. Done correctly, as Carl did, it works flawlessly as a high performance street car that's fast, quiet, smooth and handles like a go kart...

Good luck with yours.

16. ^^ I agree with missysdad1. The Dynaflow I had in my '55 was a real dog. If it were me, I'd find a different tranny. I think it would save a lot of headaches and money in the end.

17. sdluck

sdluck

Try Sunco transmission on Windfield ,408 225 1890 (san jose)

18. napoli

napoli
    from Qatar

Hi guys,
    First let me thank you for your responses. It seems like the consensus is to rip the old engine, tranny and rear end out and replace with another complete drive train. I can understand the frustrations with the engine and tranny but what the issue with the rear end? Admitedly this is my first Buick and I know little about them :) I have several 440 mopar engines and trannys with auto as well as a 383 with auto tranny that I was thinking about placing into the car but still confused about the rear end. I will have to google infor on the rear end I guess.

Many thanks again guys.

Bill

19. napoli

napoli
    from Qatar

Holly Molly its easier to develop a process for cold fusion than get this tranny issue resolved loool! I just read about the closed drive shaft! We must have really been scared of the Russians stealing our technology to have designed such a “closed system” back then!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    It seems like I need a donor car (with appropriate measurements) and some major modifications to the car to be able to install a different engine and drive train plus rear end. At least that would seem to be the long term solution to these cars tranny ailments. Can anyone recommend the Frankenstein (donor) car that would best fit this process?<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks again,<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Bill<o:p></o:p>

20. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

There is one other option, but is more rare than an uncooked steak. Back in the day 322 Buicks were used in larger Chevy trucks with hydramatics bolted to the nailhead. If you could find one then you could do that swap, but you are still into a new open driveline.

If my current project was complete I would recommend it, but I need some time to finish it up. No changing the torque tube setup, but oh what a difference in response.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

21. mlagusis

mlagusis

There is (or was) a place in Concord...can't remember the name. It was or is by Bart

22. You could take it apart first (take pictures, notes and hopefully have a manual) to see of any of the hard parts are needed. Those are going to be expen$ive. If you can get by with what's in the kit, great. I'd still be leaning to adapt in something newer and more reliable.

Bob

23. wndsofchng06

wndsofchng06
    BANNED

So what do you guys do when you put in the more modern transmission as far as the shift indicator? R is at the bottom originally...

24. napoli

napoli
    from Qatar

Hi d2,
    First let me thank you for your response. Its easier for us to find chicken teeth here in the Middle East than find parts for these old gals. At any rate I have found a mechanic that is about 300 years old that claims he knows how to "fixem" so will give him a shot and see how it pans out....
    I continue to check online to locate a rebuild kit for the 3 speed tranny so that incase I need some parts I could in the least order them otherwise they will have to have them machined localy which is the more common case.

Thanks again for all the help guys!