Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well shoot. Hard lesson learned.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

well i finally got to the point of being able to drive the chassis of my 47 plymouth around the yard.

[​IMG]

Only problem is when i went to check the oil, it was a nice mess of oil and metal shavings :eek:

FUCK:eek::mad:

Pulled the head, all looked good

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time to yank it and find out whats up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the cam wasnt damaged, thank god. Still had the parkerizing on it. Oil pressure had been good (40-50) pounds, motor didnt knock or anything. Just was kinda hard turning but i thought that was due to compression.

heres the problem

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mains are toast. Best i can figure is that the fella i bought the block from had laid the crank in the block without cleaning it out (machine debris from the .010 cut) and it hit the mains first. Didnt wipe out the crank or anything. May have caught it in time. Non the less, motor is apart and getting gone through.

So who makes a decent bearing?

2. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

That sucks at least you caught it befor it was a total loss.

3. blt2go

blt2go

man that sucks. glad you are the type to check things before they go completely to crap. hope damage is minimal, good luck.

4. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Nice. you probably shut that thing down just in time. Also love the fact that you drove it like that.

5. Old Skool Rodder

Old Skool Rodder

6. seatex

seatex

Huh?:confused: (I'm probably gonna' regret asking this>>>>>>>>>>>>>)

7. Marty ! That sucks, glad you caught it early.

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

"Clevite", as in bearings. Been around for a long time.

Dynaflash I'm really glad your crankshaft didn't get hurt. And cool that you drove it bare frame!

About 30 years ago, a similar problem occurred with a 289 I'd just rebuilt for a friend. Basic overhaul, cut the ridge etc. Two days after we got it on the road he calls me and says its knocking. Long story short, I didn't get the block clean enough; metal shavings from cutting the ridges got into in the oil gallery, then got pushed into the bearings and corduroyd the crank. Cost me a crank kit plus all the work to replace it 'cause I guarantee my motors. Talk about a lesson learned!:eek::eek:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

hope you can just replace em and slap it back together!

10. use a dial bore gauge to check the main bearing housings !!!

Clevite and Federal Mogul still produce good bearings for ya.

11. That's sucks! Glad you caught it in time before it did some real damage. There's still two months until the Eastside vs. Westside Flathead Reliability Run on September 18th. Even though, your on the wrong side of the state :D we would still would love to see your car in Vantage. Hope you can make it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  12. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

that sucks marty, hope your not gonna be pouring to much out of your wallet for that one. im trying to get the heads on the corvair rebuilt, so me and my lady can drive up there, if we do im speending a day at your place

13. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Hell yea! it was kinda scary. Steering, brakes, no throttle just a really high idle, holding onto the battery with my foot, all while sitting on a 4 inch wide piece of metal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTMdWuFisgw

Oh have no fear, this car WILL BE THERE. :cool:

14. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn Marty you have the worst luck with engines. Glad to see you caught it early.

15. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

Been there done that maybe 5 times in 30 years.
    Don't slap it together,,
    Get your goggles on and go to the carwash and blow everything out. I love the heated water ones.
    I'd blow out all the crank oil passages and all the block's oil passages that I could get to.
    Then use the compressor & air blow the same passages.
    Good Luck. The damage really looks minimal,,I'm sure you'll be fine.

16. What the hell? You must have feet like a chimp! :D Good thing you checked your fluids!! It looks and sounds like you might be OK.
    Good luck!