Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ranchero only picture thread...lets see whos got them..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KennyJr07, Jul 15, 2010.

1. KennyJr07

KennyJr07

Didnt find a thread with Ranchero pictures. Would like to see some ideas for my project.

2. MAC50

MAC50
    from Illinois

Here is mine, still under construction 1960. had all the chrome shaved, door handles and locks, 1960 Buick tail lights, rain gutters shaved. Painted Ultra Violet (Ford truck color) finishing up the motor for it now

Attached Files:

• 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      487.3 KB
      Views:
  3. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Here ya go. Mine is a 58 that someone started to convert to a 57. I have done all the work but mount the front fenders which they did wrong. Still in the middle of body work and rust repair then it is getting a Ford 390 with a 4-speed, lowered, and painted. Heres a shot from when I first got it with no motor, saved it from a salvage yard anyway. Oh yeah the wheels and tires I put on to, had to see what it would look like.

Attached Files:

4. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Attached Files:

5. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

6. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

7. twochops

twochops

non stock

Attached Files:

8. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

I don't have one (I wish! LOL!), but how about
    a super-rare '57 or '58 Canadian-built "Mercury
    Meteor Ranchero
    "?!

Mart3406
    --------------------------------

http://oldcarscanada.blogspot.com/2010/04/1957-8-meteor-ranchero.html
    <iframe id="gfc_iframe_309237449_0" name="gfc_iframe_309237449_0" style="width: 100%; height: 20px;" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" height="200" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<script type="text/javascript"> var skin = {}; skin['FACE_SIZE'] = '32'; skin['HEIGHT'] = "200"; skin['TITLE'] = "Please Share Us With Your Friends (Sociable)"; skin['BORDER_COLOR'] = "transparent"; skin['ENDCAP_BG_COLOR'] = "transparent"; skin['ENDCAP_TEXT_COLOR'] = "#000000"; skin['ENDCAP_LINK_COLOR'] = "#000000"; skin['ALTERNATE_BG_COLOR'] = "transparent"; skin['CONTENT_BG_COLOR'] = "transparent"; skin['CONTENT_LINK_COLOR'] = "#000000"; skin['CONTENT_TEXT_COLOR'] = "#000000"; skin['CONTENT_SECONDARY_LINK_COLOR'] = "#FFFFFF"; skin['CONTENT_SECONDARY_TEXT_COLOR'] = "#000000"; skin['CONTENT_HEADLINE_COLOR'] = "#000000"; skin['FONT_FACE'] = "normal normal 98% Verdana, Arial, Sans-serif;"; google.friendconnect.container.setParentUrl("/"); google.friendconnect.container["renderOpenSocialGadget"]( {id: "div-1gqxgt07u3jza", height: 200, url: "http://efocus.pl/blogger/xml/podzielsie.xml", "view-params": {"orientation":"poziomo","technorati":true,"digg":true,"reddit":true,"blip":false,"wykop":false,"flaker":false,"delicious":true,"googlebuzz":true,"googlebookmarks":true,"twitter":true,"stumbleupon":true,"develway":false,"facebook":true,"pinger":false}, "prefs": {"orientation":"poziomo","technorati":"1","digg":"1","reddit":"1","blip":"0","wykop":"0","flaker":"0","delicious":"1","googlebuzz":"1","googlebookmarks":"1","twitter":"1","stumbleupon":"1","develway":"0","facebook":"1","pinger":"0"}, site: "08543758873330329394", locale: 'en' }, skin);*</script> <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=default) --> Wednesday, April 14, 2010

1957-8 Mercury Meteor Ranchero

[​IMG]

Ford offered a rather new concept for consumers with its car-based truck that debuted for the 1957 selling season. It would serve up its new Ranchero to Canadians but there would be that special northern flavour. The Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited announced to the press that the handsome hauler would be available across the Dominion under both the Ford and the Meteor nameplates.

The Oakville-based manufacturer had a long-standing policy of making Mercury trucks and Meteor Sedan Deliveries available through its Lincoln-Mercury-Meteor dealer network. Since 1946 Mercury trucks had faithfully matched Ford truck offerings model for model. But the Ranchero wasn’t a Mercury; it was a Meteor.

Since 1949, Meteor had been an upscale brand of Canada-only cars that borrowed Ford shells. They were dressed in lavish, unique trim and given fancier upholstery. Slotted between low-priced Ford and the posh Monarch, another Canada-only brand, Meteor was a very popular seller. Based on the Ford two-door station wagon, Meteor sedan deliveries were already sold through the dealer body. Since the handsome Ford Ranchero was about to bow, the L-M-L dealer body would be blessed with a Meteor Ranchero, too.

[​IMG]

It was announced that the Meteor version of the Ranchero would go on display Mercury-Lincoln-Meteor dealerships beginning on February 12, 1957. Folks had to wait a bit longer than that; the launch was delayed until March. From St. John’s to Victoria, consumers were keen to be introduced the sleek Ranchero.

The standard engine for Canadian Rancheros, Ford or Meteor, was the Blue Oval’s 223-cubic inch six-cylinder mill with the 272-cubic inch, two-barrel V-8 as the only optional engine. Meteor’s self-shifter carried the Merc-O-Matic label. Meteor Ranchero interiors were limited to tan and brown woven plastic with a tan vinyl bolster or a blue vinyl interior with a blue and white vinyl bolster.

The Rancheros were quite a draw as mid-year model introductions go. Folks slogged through spring slush to see them. Single colour choices varied somewhat from American Rancheros: Raven Black, Dresden Blue, Starmist Blue, Colonial White, Cumberland Green, Willow Green, Nocturne Blue, Brazilian Bronze, Moonmist Yellow, Woodsmoke Gray, Regency Gray and Fiesta Red.

[​IMG]

The Meteor Custom offered two-tone Style Tone paint treatments with Colonial White above the side mouldings in combination with the solid colours. Not available in the United States, Canadian Ranchero Style Tone colour combos could be had in Cumberland Green and Willow Green, and Dresden Blue overlaid with Starmist Blue.

Though we boasted the second highest standard of living in the world, Canadians still earned a good 20 percent less than their American cousins and paid considerably higher taxes. Durable goods cost more, because the domestic economy had a much smaller base. That made us naturally frugal as consumers and it was clearly reflected in buying habits. The auto industry had learned to adapt to Canadians’ needs. As a result, there were far fewer options on the Canadian-built Ford and Meteor Rancheros; no Signal-seeking radio, no air conditioning of any kind and no power windows.

The Ranchero was not nearly as well accepted by Canadian consumers as it was by Americans. Workers in Oakville, Ontario built 558 Ford Ranchero Customs and 300 Meteor Ranchero Niagara models in the remaining months of the 1957 model year.

The entire North American economy was devastated by a business recession that wreaked havoc in 1958. Sales of consumer goods tumbled sharply. The Canadian truck industry was no exception. Domestic production slid to 58,693 trucks, the industry’s worst showing in twenty years.

Consumers were still buying big-ticket items, but ever so cautiously Sales of small imported trucks in the Dominion jumped to 8,212 units despite the recession, shattering all previous sales records. The 1957 imported truck tally had been 4,367 units; mostly Bedfords from GM in the UK, Thames from Ford of Britain and West Germany’s Volkswagen Transporters.

Despite the off market and the poor economy, Ford and Meteor Rancheros returned for a second season. The Meteor version bowed to the public on October 22. Because Fairlane was restyled from stem to stern, so was Ranchero. Well, almost. The new design of the passenger car’s taillights did not lend itself to the pickup truck so the 1957 taillights were grafted on. The handsome cab was carried over into the 1958 season as well. The 1958 Meteor Ranchero simply borrowed the finely ribbed, concave Meteor passenger car grille.

At the Oakville, Ontario plant, Ranchero production slowed to a trickle. Factory records show that only 86 of the Ford Custom Model 66A were built and only 52 of the 1958 Meteor Niagara were produced; the entire year’s output of Meteors being built in September and October of 1957. Sandy Notarianni, Ford of Canada’s archivist, notes that 38 of the Meteors left the Oakville plant fitted with the six-cylinder mill. It was game over, the Ranchero was simply not perceived as being an honest workhorse by Canadians.

[​IMG]

Looking at the big picture, Chevrolet built 15,997 trucks in 1958. Ford took the Number Two spot with 12,083 units produced. GMC was third with 10,573 trucks built. International Harvester built and sold 9,162 trucks that year, making it fourth. Mercury trucks claimed the fifth spot with 3,814 units built. Sixth place belonged to Dodge, with 3,262 units produced and seventh place to its badge-engineered cousin Fargo, with 3,018 units built. A handful of Pontiac and Meteor sedan deliveries were built. Studebaker and Jeep trucks were imported from the United States.

When Ford of Canada said “adios” to the Rancheros and pulled the plug on them, the space on the assembly line promptly was taken up by medium and heavy-duty trucks. New federal government funds had been earmarked for ambitious, nationwide road building projects. The Trans-Canada Highway was nearing completion and new routes were under construction to open up the western Arctic.

All of Canada's truck manufacturers responded to the massive highway construction projects by stepping up production of larger and heavier-duty trucks. Ford of Canada offered more than 300 truck models in 1958, many of them in the medium and heavy-duty ranges. Management did not miss the slow selling Rancheros. Today the Meteor Rancheros are one of the more exciting, unique and rare offerings to have come from the Canadian automotive industry.

---------------

Visit my old car website at http://www.theoilspoteh.ca
    Copyright James C. Mays 2006 All rights reserved.
    Posted by James C. Mays at <a class="timestamp-link" href="http://oldcarscanada.blogspot.com/2010/04/1957-8-meteor-ranchero.html" rel="bookmark" title="permanent link"><abbr class="published" title="2010-04-14T08:44:00-04:00">8:44 AM</abbr>
    ===========================================

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  9. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Here are a couple I ran across recently enjoy.

Attached Files:

10. Ak Miller's, if you don't know who he ws, you'd better google the name
    [​IMG]

A freind of mine had owned this 59 since he was 17, he's now in his 50's. 460 powered
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  11. hbvette07

hbvette07
    from Ca

12. Ever catch your wife giving you the WTF look when you drag one of these little treasures home......

Attached Files:

13. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

IronFord likes this.
  14. Dads 57, There is a 57 to 59 Ranchero Group on the H.A.M.B also if you wanna join.:)

Attached Files:

15. JOEHOODS

JOEHOODS

SDC12319.jpg
    At the santa maria show...

16. RAY With

RAY With

This is the wifes restored 1964 Ranchero which she has currently for sale . Its had a full restoration 5 years ago and although a 6 is a good driver.

Attached Files:

17. hemifarris

hemifarris

Your friend's Ranchero is a '59, not a '58........:)

18. jmh

jmh

Keep those pics coming.. Love the 57s most!!:p John:D

19. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

just got this one, my next street car , has 427 chevy and 4 speed in it now, gonna get a 4 inch dropped axle new frame stubs (has been in a bad wreck and horns layed way back. cant wait, love the body style on these trucks... took 8 yrs to get it bought , but stayed after it...

Attached Files:

20. I let this one go in a momentary lapse of reason. 390/4spd ..mint............I have lots of pics of it in 'my pictures' and every time it comes up in screensaver mode a tear wells up......

Attached Files:

21. Mine and it is NOT for sale EVER!!!
    [​IMG]

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Fuzzy Knight, I snapped a bunch of pictures of your at LARS this year. Pretty little thing! my girlfriend through a tantrum over a '62 in May, so that's what i've been working on for myself lately. Says it's so she can go to Home Depot, and take the dogs to the doggy park. I'm going to step out side and see if I can shoot some pictures. It worked! I just learned how to post pictures yesterday, so now I,m drunk with my new found power! Any way, nothing special yet, putting floors in, and John Evans built an adapter for the Borg Warner T-50 5 speed that is hanging off the back. I've been busy working out the details of the swap and cleaning and painting the engine compartment. Oh, and polishing the semi-rare Edelbrock valve cover. By the way, Does anybody out there in HAMBland have an Edelbrock three carb adapter for this motor? That's it. Picture it lowered a bit, and with some fresh colonial white,done.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  23. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Well...o.k., I'll toss mine on here:
    I love 'em...One day I'll paint this thing, but I like driving it too much at present.

:D

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

24. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

25. hemifarris

hemifarris

Non photo.....Photoshopped

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Fuzzy Knight, what size tires and wheels do you have on yours?

27. 61TBird

61TBird

Where's the pics of "Sooze" and the Pumpkins??:D:D:D

28. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I figured I'd do this guy a solid and not get his thread closed too...:D;)
    No more "pumpkins"...haha...