Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Chevy Front End

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RatRoy, Jul 14, 2010.

1. RatRoy

RatRoy

I have a friend with a box stock 55 Chevy and he is looking to improve the front end parts. We would like to update the hubs to roller bearing spindles and disc brakes. I have heard that a later model Chevy can be a direct bolt-in. Does anyone have information on this subject. :confused:

2. We were doing it with 68-72 Chevelle rotors and calipers and a simple plate adapter to mount the caliper 30 years ago. Also if a guy wants to keep drum braks but newer style bearings, the hubs from a 61-65 Chevy car will fit right back in place with taper bearings and the stock drum will still fit as well.

3. classic chevy club magazine (back in the day when they were good) use to run tech tip articles on brake conversions all the time-- early to mid 70's GM usually. I'll cast about some and see if I can come up with the mag number or the tech help number for you

4. My '55 had Chevelle disc brakes on it when I bought it.

They worked great, but moved the wheel mounting surface outboard about an inch, IIRC. Not a problem with stock height and tire width, but you might experience clearance issues if you start changing things.

When I lowered mine, I switched to Heidt's disc brakes and spindles, which moved the tires/wheels back inside/under the fenderwell.

5. ECIGUY

ECIGUY

We do a zero offset 11 inch rotor big piston GM caliper kit for the 55-68 Chevys. It is a bolt on kit with all NEW parts. 860-872-7046.