Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass 32 "channel " with an A frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thegrappler, Jul 13, 2010.

1. thegrappler

thegrappler

I'm getting a glass 32 3 window, anybody try to channel it with an A frame or straight 2x4 straight rails? the back half will be narrowed to accept some 21 wide mickey or M and H, thinking I may have to cut the floor out and reglass it back down over the rails. any thoughts good or bad, this is a budget build so im trying to stay away from spendy duece rails

2. Yeah, you could, but it sounds way O/T for this site.

3. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Here we go again about glass .I just want to say At least He is going to preserve the essence of what hoyrodding is about .We all could build tuners ,But we choose to build hot rods ... I think a channeled 32 would look awesome .Glass or steel is all good in my book as long as it looks good........John

5. Keep your hair on, no one said anything about glass.

6. Ironswims

Ironswims
    from Illinois

yet.

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I thought you were X38 My bad .Il go put my hair on ......Lol

8. glass is just as bad as repro steel. There both repro, just that fibreglass you didn't waste another 10-20k:eek:

9. Hey, someone on TV just said 'keep your hair on" not 5 minutes after I typed it. Spooky.

10. This isn't a glass vs anything thread. He just asked if he can drop a glass deuce body over a home made frame and the answer is yes.

21" wide MH rubber makes me think the build theme isn't really in keeping with what the HAMB is about, that's what I meant about O/T.

11. I reckon you could do it. I'd go for the Hursts you could pull it off. Model A coupes get channelled all the time on A chassis, a few different styles in the body, but it could definately be done and look good if planned well and done patiently with a 32 body.

12. mustangsix

mustangsix

A Model A chassis is going to look a little "skinny" forward of the firewall compared to a Deuce, I think. But this would be a good opportunity to stretch the wheelbase a bit if you need to.

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Its been done time and time again. You can shape the rails any way you want.

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Look at Russ Nomore Streetrods web site.. They have a channeled 32 body and frame with some good pics.. You might get some ideas...........

15. That's the meaning I got from your post. But english is my first language, no offense intended to our european brothers.

Now onto the question yes you cut the floor out and glass it back in where you want it to be. You'll have to build new sill plates because that are going to end up above the door jam. I would just build them out of steel and slide them under the floor and rivet them into place.

Hey not to hikack the post but if I put dubs on my stude do I have to lift the suspension? I just got a thing for that ghetto covered wagon look they got goin' on these days.

16. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

I have a '32 five-window body mounted on a Model A frame. (Unfortunately, I don't have access to a picture right now. I'll try to get one later.) It came to me that way. I plan, eventually, to get '32 rails for it. But it could easily be channeled over this frame and the visible part really would not look much different.
    <O:p
    Nevertheless, if you decide to go with the really wide rear tires as planned, I think you would be much better off custom building a frame out of rectangular tubing. Presumably, you intend to have a really big engine to go with those? You would have to modify the Model A frame extensively and those probably would still put too much stress on any remaining portions of the stock frame.<O:p</O:p

17. if your going to channel your car and build your own rails i highly recomend that you at least use 32 front rails. as mentioned already the model a frame will look alittle off on a 32 car, price and link below.

<TABLE border=2 rules=groups cellPadding=5 frame=hsides><TBODY><TR><TD>10132H2 <TD>49" Front Frame Horns <TD>245.00 <TD>28 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://ascrails.com/pricesheet.html

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

...or radial tires, or repop buick drums, or a clone of........., or a repop windshield, or any paint but lacquer or non-catalized enamel, or welded by a certifeid welder using a TIG instead of OA, or, or, or. :D
    Give me a fuckin' break.

19. Inexpensive 32 frame

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305273

No excuses to cheap out now with plain tubing:D

20. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

Here is a 32 five-window coupe on a Model A frame. It's not channeled but would certainly fit, and would not look much different from a 32 frame after channeling. That said, it would not be as good as a real 32 frame and probably would not be strong enough for a really powerful drivetrain, expecially with those big tires. As you can see, this is an old drag racer and has big fat slicks. As a result, the frame shows lots of signs of stress. I plan to build a better chassis, when I get around to that project ... some day.

Attached Files:

21. DanIam

DanIam

22. thegrappler

thegrappler

Thanx everyone for posting and for the links. I Got the body and the floors are very thick with cross bars or stringers running across. Id hate to cut it thus weaken it, so I decided not to channel it. Still thinking maybe using duece front frame to 2x4 box steel rails back and narrowed in the rear for a wider tire. then mini tub the rear wells. after the front secticurves out I would run the 2x4 straight back rather than staying with the outer body contour being its going to be somewhat "backhalved" The big ass tires are more for looks. It'll start with a SBC but eventually Id like to stuff it with a Ford 4.6 DOHC

23. thegrappler

thegrappler

24. Did you look at Sams link I posted? You can cut those horns just as easy with some control and a thin cutoff wheel. $10 in wheels vs 100-150 for someone elses horns.

25. thegrappler

thegrappler

Yup, thanx I looked at it again, I can just make just the fronts, even caddilacoffin shows how he does it.

26. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

I'm sure if some one wanted to donate a nice original Deuce body he would be more than happy to use it. Wonder how many remains have been brought back to life using repro parts? And if he was starting with a genuine Deuce body how many of you would be screaming "DON'T CUT UP THAT DEUCE!!!!!" Hatin' on 'glass cars just causes the younger builders to say "Fuck those hot rod guys" and go build a Honduh.

Stolen from another thread:

27. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

Grappler: I have seen a channeled rod with the frame rails above the stock floor pan, which was intact. The portion of the frame inside the body was very straight and flat, as would be one made from 2x4 tubing, and must have been inserted through the firewall. It had a big transmission and driveshaft tunnel. There must have been modifications to the trunk floor to accommodate the rearend but I couldn&#8217;t see that. &#8230; That would be a radical way to save your floor pan. Or you could just invest in some reproduction &#8217;32 frame rails and build it as a highboy.