Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there anyway do to a truck rod right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TurboShadow, Jul 14, 2010.

1. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Guess you don't know how to read, 1936... Just like you can't tell a ford from chevy..

2. blt2go

blt2go

pissing match?

3. blt2go

blt2go

'36 and '37 chevy cabs had little if any change. so a dead set '36 cut off makes no sense. as for the pic of the ford, i didn't really look much at it as those unfinished trucks don't do much for me. those other pics are what i was referring to for someone to pull their head out. that's just dumb and a waste of time, and not at all what this guy is looking for. sorry i got off track a little by trying to stay on topic of the op.

4. 32viper

32viper

Anyone have a picture of the Chopers Inc. truck? I thought it was well porportioned for a post 34 truck.

5. I've got a '40 Willys front end (less hood) - original steel for sale or trade.

Steve

6. To quote myself-
    "I feel this is one of the worst things guys do when they yank the fenders, leave the axle way back behind the grille under the engine. Looks way better right under the grille shell, in my opinion."

[​IMG]
    Perfect example of what NOT to do.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  7. You just described one of the cheapest hotrods there is to build!? Sell the truck to someone who wants it and start looking for T tin, a rough tub can be had for less than $500. I have bought quite a few Ts in the last 10 years, all were less than 200 bucks. A frames can be found for a Ben franklin.

8. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

I kept the body on mine original. The post about post 30-something fenderless trucks not looking right...for the most part I agree. No reason to pull the fenders. I mainly swapped the engine for something a little hotter, changed the trans and rear end to hold it, swapped the wheels, and next up is lowering it. I personally like stock F-1's and F-100's, so that worked out well. Something just screams shock rod or rat rod to me when I see a 53 F-100 cab with no bed, a dually rear axle, a suicide front end and the body chaneled 10" with a 4" chop, 350 center bolt and a 4' long shifter. I am not tryin to call anyone out if thats what ya built, just saying its not my cup of tea.

9. I have a 1938 Chevy cab that looks identical to every '36 I've ever seen. I think the cutoff is '35, but so far all the pictures you guys have posted look like the '36-'46 stuff.

As far as proportions go, I have gotten a lot of schooling in that department lately. My friend Scotty throws hammers at me everytime I start to think/do anything that's even remotely rat rod. I have a piss poor drawing of what I'm going for with my build. '36 cab, with a '34 bed and grille shell (it's what I have laying around), all wrapped up in a mid 60's stlye build.

[​IMG]

If anything I'm going to make the bed a touch longer than the drawing; basically extend it until the rear wheel looks centered without changing the wheelbase. Should be about 48" when it's all said and done.

Alright...nobody copy me. I better get back to work before Scotty throws another hammer at me.

PS-I have a '34 1/2 Ton frame I don't need. PM me if you're interested TurboShadow.

10. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

If you have a truck, build a truck. If you want a hot rod, buy a hot rod. Don't try to take something that isn't and try to make it what is.

I have a '57 Buick, and I kind of want a hot rod. I'm not going to take the hood and fenders off my Buick and stick a '32 grille shell on just because "it's what I have."

I'm down for using what you got, but dang, work with what you got. If I were you I'd sell the truck and start looking for a T. If you keep the truck, build the truck, as a truck. I really like the big old trucks.

Anyway, it sound like you have a lot of passion and energy, but I fear you might be misdirecting it because you have a hot rod on the brain.

11. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Hey, if you ain't got fenders, you ain't got shit........................but, it can be done if you have the imagination to carry it through.

Attached Files:

12. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

Thanks for the pics and tips guys! I was afraid this was gonna turn into another bobber thread :(. I found this pic in another thread and it is exactly what I want to do! Anyone have more pics of this truck?

[​IMG]

Im think same lines, same hieght, no chop (im 6'4") and a decent SBC!

13. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

14. I got my T for free! My buddy Kyle (TcoupeKyle) got two for free, and gave me one. But he kept the Halibrand magnesium spindlemounts that came free with it...

15. Black Primer

Black Primer

If you can make your 39 chevy look like the truck in the photo you're a talented individual.
    In my opinion the fenders on late 30s early 40s trucks are works of art. I realize you said money was an issue. That being said, why not add a piece of steel to your big fenders to close up the wheel openings. Tape a cardboard template to your openings and see if you like it. Just a thought.

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Do a search for Plowboys blue Chevy pickup (Spacetruck) Built from a 1 or 1 1/2 ton truck. It's still one of the nicest most practical builds that's ever been shared on this board.

Frank

17. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

It seems as a rule of thumb that if you like a truck, you should do a truck AS a truck, sure I see the WTF goin up, but think about it, the car and the truck are real far apart in final looks and body shape, you cant fight the shape of the cab, so dont, it has a bed, most trucks do , so put an emphasis on the bed, make it work as a feature not hide it, as far as fenders go early girls are more petite and fenders are like a dress or a skirt, they have an advantage as they can be easy to present either way, later trucks 37 8 9 are a bit fatter, they tend to look better in the fenders and boards, not that you cant pull it off but they sure tax the crap out of your brain and you run the risk of blowin the look. I don't know if I would chop a truck real low, I feel its fightin the cab. Keep in mind this is just my personal taste, and as such is not worth much outside my own shop.

18. txrdnek

txrdnek

i say do what you want no matter what anyone else thinks, putting early iron back on the road is cool no matter how you ger it done. you are the only one who has to like it, just my two cents

19. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

Thats why I like that picture I posted. I like the idea of a "kid" with a old farm truck and a motor swap beating up on the guys with the 32 fords ;). Strip it down, add a V8, and go racing. Chops and drop axles aren't free, so It doesn't have them. If it doesn't make it go faster... it doesn't have it.

Pretty much the same philosophy I had street racing a dodge shadow in college. Beating up on the kids with the fancy Honda's!

I saw on one of them rat rod forums a guy using a samurai frame... before you yell at me it looked decent, and had nice "curves" on the front and back. Already set up for parallel springs. It would just need stretched a foot or so. Add a full length bed (spied a old pickup-bed trailer at the niebors... must investigate!), a 30's grill shell, and a V8!

I would have to figure out how to paint it and it no look too nice thou, a super shiny paint job would kill the "theme". Maybe a 2in brush? haha

20. slammed49

slammed49

Mines a truck with fenders, but done right the fenderless jobbers look cool...52 F1, ex-navy truck NO rust...Volare clip and rear end, 305/350, new glass, Painless harness, frame off build with an untouched body...and yes,FLAT BLACK with RED WHEELS.... but its the way I like it !!

Attached Files:

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Unwritten rules?........................ :D

Here's a bitchin' ride. I held the tape whilst my friend marked it off when we chopped the top.

ssssssssssss.jpg S4022733.jpg

S4022730.jpg S4022728.jpg

S4022727.jpg S4022726.jpg

22. 37RAT

37RAT
    from Wisconsin

How about a 37 a Chev, you can buy this and save some work 11K

Attached Files:

23. LowMOJO

LowMOJO

Herez some pics of MY 1940 chevy pickup, first pic is from 3 years ago when it was very Ratty, second is from the Barons Hill country 100, and finally the last 3 are the most recent of it at the lonestar roundup 3 years in a row with a 4 inch chop and a new model a front end suspension set up, and more changes coming soon. Its slowly but surely getting there the way i want to Customize it and build it! Whether it be traditional or not is of no circumstance to me. I put my hard work and admiration into this hobby and thats the way I live it and thats the way I like it.:D

nevermind what there bitter hearts are gonna say- Rev. Mojo

P.s. and yes it does have a 30's grill on it 34 chevy pickup to be exact...so what!!!!

Attached Files:

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's all in getting the proportions right when you build a fenderless truck using that model Cab as a starting point.

It appears that you can fabricate according to your profile so that is half the battle. Too many guys start on these projects with no skills to work with and try to wing it.

It wouldn't be that complicated to shorten the frame and put a z in the back to get the back down. That could be pretty well hidden inside of a bed/box that you fabricated yourself. If you have access to a brake so much the better but there are shops local to you that will sell the metal to you and bend it for a reasonable price and you might even work at one of them.

A pair of short wheelbase Mid 80's Dodge mini van rear springs with the brackets would be an inexpensive rear suspension with an axle of your choice.
    For a front axle you could either use half ton springs and axle from about the same year truck or build a crossmember that would work and use a Ford transverse leaf setup with radius rods or wishbones. You could center the wheels on the radiator shell that way, instead of having them behind the radiator. Putting them too far forward makes it just another bobber truck like all the other stretched out bobber trucks.

Right now, I'd get out the pencils and paper and draw it out on paper. Draw it this way and that and see if you can get the proportions to look right.

25. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Bullshit; Lack of experience before a build. We all been there. Fear of somebody else not liking how the experiment will turn out is ALL NEGATIVE.
    Following that advice, nothing would ever get built. Nothing.

If you are a real hot rodder, getting it (like you want it) is better than not getting it at all............ That is more important than "getting it wrong" in somebody else's eyes.......

Look at the pictures; Or draw a picture of your own; If you don't like the look...........well........................ DOH!!
    If you like, just do it.:cool:

26. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

As many here know, I hate them Later trucks with no Fenders.. My Opinion only.

BUT !!!!

Before you Fuck Up another Early truck body, I have avalable a Complete '40 Chevy front clip off a 1/2 ton truck.

Will have it my possesion Saturday Afternoon.

I got a Body a guy was Gonna put on a 4x4 chassis, Found a buyer for the Chassis so i bought the body.

Cab is Wasted so i will strip it & recylce the Cab, But the Clip is available to be purchased.

P/M me your E-Mail & i will send pics when its home.

27. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Forget the wheels ..the look and stance is perfect

[​IMG]

28. Nash just where in the hell in Colorado are you. We need to go to a drive-in and talk over burgers. Of course you have ruined my stay at the HAMB. We agree on too many points. :cool:

Here's the deal with a fenderless later truck. Its work, period. Yes it can be done and it can be tastefully done but you have to have vision and talent.

Its work to get the proportions correct and coming up with a clean front end that fits the fenderless style is a chore. It needs to have a truck bed that's not too short but a full length bed won't do it either. if you don't own a good bead roller you will need to come up with a real truck bed so you have a reveal over your wheels. That gives your eye a point of reference when viewing the total vehicle.

The cab on a 39 should be the same as a 1/2 ton cab. But if not it will take a little sectioning so it doesn't look liks a pig.

What you're going to need to make it right or what you are going to end up with is a '60s show rod style vehicle. That will also go well with your go fast roots. Lots of '60s dragsters were show quality.

Now all that said if you are not up to the task you should off the truck and find a vehicle better suited to what you want. Like my Northern friend (TMan) said if you're after cheap and cool round up a T tub and go from there.

There is another alternative for your 1.5 ton. Staying with a a go fast theme you could make a ramp truck out of it, and use it to haul a vintage draster to the race track.