Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage King of Clubs '10 Barona Drag Strip, San Diego CA *PG13*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brahm, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Brahm

Brahm

Alright, so first off I have to say I had a blast as usually but unlike previous times I actually got to race so while I may be a bit light on race shots. Instead I wandered around between passes and took a lot of snap shots.

To all the hamb'rs I met it was great meeting you. To all my old friends from our street racing and Carlsbad raceway days, it was great to see you again!

Please note: Some photos are PG13/NSFW! With that said. Thanks again to the Lifters for putting on what has to be one of my favorite events of the year. There is just something about the vibe of San Diego events that just stand out. No egos, everybody is there to have a good time, the gasser races w/Butch Calkins displayed some of the best sportsmanship I have ever seen, but I'll get into that later with the photos.

So where to start.. I guess this photo is sorta ot.. but where the story begins.

[​IMG]

Taken by the track photographer. Myself and ole local street racer having an old grudge match during the test and tune between rounds! I was able to get in about 5 passes in the morning, test out the car on motor, and play with the nitrous system (which didn't work so well but I still had a blast regardless!)

After a few runs I decided to let the car cool check out the cars in the lot, visit my family/gf who were in the vendor area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Threw out the lot were tons of amazing cars some while the majority where there for King of Clubs, some stunning OT cars also showed up to race T&T, and enjoy the show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One day.. when my Camaro grows up.. I want it to be just like this car!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. Brahm

Brahm

There were all sorts of amazing cars there, from Customs, Cruisers, Muscle Cars, Dragsters, alters, funny cars, gassers, and Traditional Hot Rods.. with sticky..sticky tires.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My nephew couldn't decide between this pickup roadster...and this coupe!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gotta give it to the Turks for having the best Club Plaque!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Brahm

Brahm

[​IMG]

The Bean Bandits Showed up with alot of great cars

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Bean Bandit "Pit"

4. Brahm

Brahm

oh wait. .you think that's it not even close, wandering around making my way to the vendor area.. bikes, customs, and more rods!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If I think this is the right car the owner used to work over by antique row cafe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Where I finally made it over to the vendor area, the racing had started back up and the crowd quickly relocated back over to the stands, this gave me a chance to help my family re-arrange our both a little bit to give some more prominence to the cds, and see how everybody was fairing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Brahm

Brahm

After a quick pit stop, I headed back towards the track.. stopping of course to take a few photos of some "standouts"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Back at the track the racers were getting ready for the finals.

[​IMG]
    The Stands were packed, and so were all the parking lots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shooting it out in elimination for the trophies!

[​IMG]
    ...if I was going to sum up the event in one photo...unfortunately, while the girls may have been on his side.. the win was not with a red light for letting go a bit to early.. can you blame the guy though?!

6. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Thats cool that you took pictures of the pits , nobody ever does that. thanks for going to the show, hopefully you have more pics, I have been waiting to see them.

7. Brahm

Brahm

[​IMG]

Next up the finals

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The final burnout!

[​IMG]
    The Black Coupe Takes the Win!

Next up the Gassers! (gassers that race A++)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Race was a best of 3 match with the first win going to the gold Willies!

The second win went to the blue willies tying up the match.
    [​IMG]

Now here is where the sportsmanship came in. The Gold Willies, lost a belt on the second pass, and Butch instead of taking the easy win. Gave the owner of the other willies 5 mins to get his car back together and for the 3rd and final lap.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately. After the allotted time had passed there was no sign of the gold willies, so the track officials made the call, and sent butch on his victory lap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but just as Butch was heading off.. The Gold Willies pulled around the corner with belt fixed and ready to run.. Now here Butch could have walked away, or taken the win and just done a pass for show, but instead he opt'd to do the 3rd pass! (Amazing show of sportsmanship!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Karma must have bee on his side.. as he took the win with a great pass!

For those of you not familiar or don't spend a lot of time drag racing. The level of sportsmanship showed really just went to how classy of an event this is. In Drag racing giving your opponent a chance especially in the finals when you can take the easy win without risking your car is almost unheard of, kudos again to Butch for putting on such a great show!

8. Brahm

Brahm

After the races were over.. that event wasn't done! Not even close
    Walking over to the stage to check out the awards For some reason my camera was possessed by Bad Bob.. I don't know what happened... ...maybe it was this photo I took of his car at ink n iron, some how infused a piece of himself with my camera..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    oh look check out that Sweet Gasser station wagon!

[​IMG]
    Oh man and they had Burgers and Dogs to!!!

I tried to fight it, and manged to over power him for just a brief moment
    [​IMG]

check out that ot car.. er I mean that gasser ;)

While trying to get back on track and over to the stage I found myself distracted once again, but this time by a local pin stripper laying down some lines.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and of course one of my all time favorite sedans.
    [​IMG]

9. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I was in the tower and could hear the cheers from the crowd when Butch let Dale race that third pass, man what a cliff hanger. Dale told me later that he felt like he was one of those ww wrestlers. You guys have to understand that over the years of the show, these two have won the trophy from each other several times.

10. Brahm

Brahm

With that I decided to follow the rest of the crowd over to the stage to check out the girls..er I mean awards..

[​IMG]
    With that said, here are the winners, the trophies and of course your host magoozi!

Now I'll readily admit, and do I apologize for not knowing all the classes, or the names of the winners but between racing myself, enjoy the event, working our both, and everything else. I feel it's best I defer you to the to Justin B's thread whom has all the winners, and details, and some great photos to boot! http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492003

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Those are some mighty fine Trophies!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ...and the winner is....gahh.....wait what?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Brahm

Brahm

After the awards I snuck off and decided to head back threw the pit area. There were a couple levels I hadn't check out, and thinking back I now realized I still missed the entire north side of the track which included spectator parking, and the 2 most upper levels!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    perfect sbc for a hot rod imop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Brahm

Brahm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The races, and the adwards may have been over but the event was still going strong, groups of people were camping out, and just having a good time in every direction.

..but back to the cars (and bikes!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Best Grill Award 2010!

[​IMG]

13. Brahm

Brahm

Heading back towards the vendor stage area I came across the Bean Bandit Dragster all loaded up, I did get to watch it make it's pass but was in my car at the time and wasn't able to get a clear photo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In the vendor/stage area there was more pin stripping going on, and the bands started to play.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Between bands I wandered back over to my car and came across this great set of cars again
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    From Coupes, Roadsters, PUs and even an OT they had it covered!

14. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Great shots man!

15. Brahm

Brahm

ok.. now here is where things get PG13! WARNING MAY NOT BE WORK SAFE!

One of the things I like about this event is it has something for everybody. The day time is very family friendly. I spent good portion of the day running around with my family, showing my nephews all the cars and enjoying the races with my ole man, and my girls ole man... but as the evening progress and kids go to bed it's time for the adults to have a bit of "good clean fun" ;). There aren't many events where this transition is done so well with a full schedule of bands starting with family oriented rockabilly, and ending with the scariest band in the world "Deadbolt".. I defiantly feel like I got plenty of bang for my buck with the show running from 10am-1am, being able to sneak in 7 passes, and see some great races!

But remember, if you want to dance with the devil you better be prepared to party all nite!

+++++++++++++++NSFW++++++++++++NSFW+++++++++++++++NSFW+++++++++++

First up of the evening lineup is the Creepy Creeps

[​IMG]
    Now this photo is terrible, but it's hard to capture the atmosphere as a flash will quickly wash out the darkness that really set the mood.

For those of you not familiar with Creepy Creeps they are some what of a San Diego anomaly these guys were in some of the most influential experimental bands to ever come out of San Diego.. Locust, Swing Kids - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOoFP4L3CAA (ya it's a cover i don't care it's amazing!), Unbroken, Crimson Curse, the list goes on and on. for some reason they all decided to start a a crazy "surf rock/zombie/dance party band" and thus Creepy Creeps was born. Talk about chick magnets! They can get hipster/rockabilly girls clothing off quicker then a contract from suicide girls!

..but enough with the chatter and music lesson.. back to the Dance Party!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Deck of that trailer got so hot and heated.. at one point during the show the Band had to re-locate themselves on the stage so they would stop looking over there shoulders to see what was going on!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bad Bob made me take it I swear!!

er ok enough of that for now.. back to the dance off! Yes that right there was a dance off!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and the winner by popular vote!

..a quick snap of the crowd behind me
    [​IMG]

16. Brahm

Brahm

Alright, at this point of the show, I need quick break my ole skate shoes and warn, i'm in my 30s.. and I just want to sit down for a bit so between the Creepy Creeps and the Burlesque show.. yes that's right even the sober girls were having a good time! ;)

We headed back to the car to sit down for a bit.. On the way back I stumpbled upon a coupe, and a roadster that caught my eye. To beat to go back and find my flash at this point to take proper photos, I took a couple of snap shots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...what you thought I had forgotten this was a car show by this point?! no no no.. I have my priorities straight!

[​IMG]
    After taking a break we headed back over to the stage just in time for the start of the Burlesque show.

You've got to give it to these girls, they've been up and running around the event all day, and still had enough energy to put on a great show and having fun while doing it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

..once again.. my camera was possessed. some how I managed to snap away with out even a scowl from my lady who was in my arms in the entire time!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some came to the King of Clubs event, for the Drag Racing, others for Customs and Traditional Hot Rods, more for the Music, and art...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...but for some like this lucky kid it was a right of passage into manhood!

After the crowd settled down from cheering the kid on the show went on with a solo, and concluded with a final dance number!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Brahm

Brahm

Closing out the nite was Deadbolt http://www.myspace.com/officialdeadbolt, "Scariest Band in the World". Like always they put on a great show, between Harleys stage banter, antics, and great "Voodoo Surf Rock" The party continued on until the late hours of the nite..and if you thought you had seen it all at the burlesque show or during the Creepy Creeps.. you were wrong things were just getting started!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Threw out the set there was just an influx of girls on and off the stage..half distracting the band, and setting the tone!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    o.0! Good looking out Moon Eyes logos! ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Harley & Clay

[​IMG]
    Harley said something about it being Beer-thirty, and passed the Guitar to the infamous "Scary Potter" for a song.

[​IMG]
    Mid show another guy appear (sorry don't know his name), and jumped in with some great guitar solos while Harley got back to fabbing up some hot rod parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All good things, they must come to and end! Cya guys next year and thanks again, to Miguel and the Lifters C.C for another great event!

18. Brahm

Brahm

...once last thing. .You just can't finish out a great nite in San Diego without a stop at your favorite 24hr Taco Shop

Mmm. Santanas! 1LB Burrito!
    [​IMG]

19. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

That kid grabbin that broads ass is priceless!!

20. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Cool pics Brahm. I will be there next year. See a few cars I have admired from the HAMB but haven't gotten to see in person. Wish I could've made it.

21. Grezy Matt

Grezy Matt
    from Sweden

That was the coolest event thread that I have ever come across. "Wow",,,great pics and narration.

22. Brahm

Brahm

It was good meeting you, I've seen you around at past events but never knew who you were.
    I've got plenty more pics let me know if there is anything you are looking for (if I missed it here), and I'll see if I didn't grab a shot of it. Also if you need anything in higher-res I can toss them up in a zip file on my website.

It was quit the cliff hanger and the timing was just perfect from next to the tree I could hear the crowd chanting "Let him Race!". With the score being 1:1 it was a pretty intense match up...unlike my final run of the day (shutting down the track), where my I wasn't able to get my nitrous working correct flooded the car and coasted to a 17.41 in the 1/8th! hhahaha... ...but the track officials were pleased and said something to the effect of "Any last pass of the day where the car doesn't break and hose down the track is a good pass in my books!". Can't say I can argue with them on that point although I sure would have liked that mid 7 second pass.

23. Brahm

Brahm

Ya, gotta give it to those girls ability to roll with it and have a good time. She was teasing him for a bit and finally a group of guys grabbed the kid and just threw him on stage!

Thanks! It's definitely worth the trip. It was about a 1000 miles round trip for me but has quickly become one of my favorite events of the summer.

Thanks Matt! You guys had some great cars out there. If you want any hi-res version of the shots I took of your cars let me know. I'll zip em up and toss them online for you guys.

24. lorodz

lorodz

great pictures ..looks like you guys had a sweet time...thanks for shareing

25. Badfella

Badfella

Man Brahm, that was the best event coverage I've seen, narration included! On behalf of the entire club THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! For everyone who missed it, hopefully we'll see you all next year. Start dusting off that camping gear now;)

26. Brahm
    Thanks for sharing your photos. Enjoying them here in Louisiana.

27. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

See I told you Groacho it was Motel 6 x 10, Thanks Brahm for all your hard work, I will be hitting you ,Justin and Joe for some Hi rez stuff for the magazines. e-mail me your phone number please, Kev Elliot is bumned, his 46 ford broke down,and had to go back home and grab his regular truck, so he missed the races, but still caught the rest of the show.

28. JohnnyCASHcadillac

JohnnyCASHcadillac
    from SO CAL-

Great Pics!
    I think I love the Santanas as much as I love to see those mooneyes!

29. YEH- cool kid..
    the Deadbolt cat fabbin' parts mid- gig is a scream too.. I'd love to hear that gone beat sound..

I also like the Chevelle/ coupe & roadster shot.

Kool Koverage Brahm, thanx

30. tunram2quad

tunram2quad

Nice pics,you guys know to put on a show,good stuff