Register now to get rid of these ads!

July Banger Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Ernie, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

It's metric!

Not Whitworthless :)

This will make it easy for those of you that can read!!

Attached Files:

2. ebtm3

ebtm3

Citron (sp?)

It must be a real terror when loaded!

We've got pieces of a seven, and a Ninja motorcycle, I keep fantasizing--------

Herb

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. Bluto,

I'm guessing that this is for the Mrs- she has great taste!!! Wish my French was better (I took German), so IS it a Ctroen?

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Nope too common!

Mac She picked me......

5. Okay, so what's the history on the Folon (Igoogle translator was very helpful until I typed that word in)?

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Brought new by a painter (house) in Paris only LR4 delivery truck left. Lucky for us chassis' are the same for all LR4s but as I said they were only a short production between LR2 and LR4-N2 all three have very different mechanicals

Almost nothing is interchangable with Austin, Dixi or American versions

Attached Files:

• ????.jpg
      ????.jpg
      File size:
      31.3 KB
      Views:
  7. ebtm3

ebtm3

Not even a mention in Bolsters "French Vintage Cars"
    Are 11X45 pneus still available, or are you going to re-rim?

Herb

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The rims are Bibendum design. They have a drop center but only inside half way around. This was thought to keep the tire on better. Rims are more high sided than later designs. Inside the rims are 17-7/8s inside(so you had to buy French tires).

Corky Coker had a few of them ..... very old and NOS and wanted STUPID $$$$ for them and who knows how round after long storage.

If you put an 18 inch tire on they don't center.

Remember this is a 25-40 mph truck.

The Czech's make a wonderful 4.50x18 tire for antique tires fresh, round, correct outside measurements and at US$70 each a set of 5 cost less than one of Corky's! We got strip of rubber glued it in the rim and the new tires went right on with less than 1mm runout.

Please remember the wee van weighs nothing and doesn't go fast. I wouldn't do this otherwise.

The very very old tires we took off said max speed 40kms in French. Must have been made for wagons!!

Yes Tires were a problem........

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

If you think tires are a problem here's the headlight bulb

As you can see the focusing is all etched on the bulb not the reflector or headlamp lens

I remembered a little old lady that had several at a swapmeet in Holland. Went back years later to see that she sttill had 20 bulbs .... now have THE WORLDS supply 6 and 12 volt :cool:

Attached Files:

10. ebtm3

ebtm3

Great "save" on the tire problem, and with the high bead lip, certainly a safe one.

Another question- I would suppose that the engine is a 750cc

If so, certainly not a "banger", but perhaps a "tapper"???

Nothing that a good slug of nitro wouldn't correct.

Keep us posted--neat little van.

Herb Kephart

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

There are very fast 45cid stuff.

Mrs has a 750 Club race car that's as quick as it is non-HAMB.

The Rosengart does have a whopping 15 HP

If it were an Austin 7 van I could bolt in 50-60 with UK Bits

We'll leave this one just as it looks. All the rust is surface not a hole, or cancer anywhere.

This has been a slow 'Banger Month' I was just trying to spice it up so me ...... like adding lavender to you bbq rub...... another French thing!

12. Fro

Fro
    from Joplin Mo.

very odd, and very cool, thanks for posting.

13. 97

So I did actually ring the bell in post # 56!!:D:D

Typical of the French , copy someone else's success , but make the parts incompatible ........ why RHD, when did the Frogs change to LHD? or was this Rosengart an "export" model. :cool:

Hey we think three main bearings is a problem for a hot banger , Austin 7s only had two!! One at each end...... was the Rosengart the same or did the French "improve" the engines as well as the chassis ??

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

French (Rosengart) and German (Dixi) actually paid fees to Austin for production rights

To make the Dixi the Germans flipped the design LHD and the engine is a mirror image of the A7

Rosengarts were built in pretty small numbers I don't think they considered much export in their business plan.

I guess we are filling in till the Ford banger guys get back from using their cars on these sunny Summer days :)

Tomorrow morning the chassis arrives. I hope

Several roads here in the east were closed because they are melting..... no joke It's hot!!

15. I messed with my timing a bit tonight swapped in some plugs I cleaned awhile back and prepared for a Model A Club Of Bakersfield members funeral by cleaning my coupe up a little. Wish I had been able to talk to him more about flying planes during WWII. Always telling me to put a damn muffler on my tractor/coupe and restore it someday lol. Gonna miss that old man alot.

There was a discussion awhile back about how fast you could get a stock banger up to........ I pushed mine up to 75mph last friday night with Trad27 riding shotgun with me and boy was that a ride. Much scarier then when I had Trad27's Buick Nailhead powered model T over 100.

Been planning out the build up of a 29 RPU I acquired fellas. Probably gonna run the 9N engine I picked up a few months ago in it with either a fife speeder or a Late Model V8 transmission. Thats what I been occupying my time with.

Thank you Bluto for the game of guess what this is. Been something I look forward to when I log on to see the info as you update us all. Awesome project for sure.-Weeks

16. celticskull

celticskull

sorry for the loss of your mate

17. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

How's this for tiny???? About half the size of Mrs. B's Rosengart......

18. hey weeks46 i saw a picture of your coupe at the starting line in the hot rod deluxe mag (i think thats where i saw it)
    what kind of time did she run
    tk

19. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

I was fortunate to find this Bosch magnet recharger so I can do magnets here in the shop instead of taking them out to be done. It's a big one about 14" tall and weighs about 80 lb. It will work on both 6 & 12 volts.

It also has accessory plates so you can charge magnets up to 12" wide !!!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  20. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I been looking for a mag charger a long time Good on you T

Weeks Do fish too......:D

The Rosengart is actually much smaller than it looks in the photos. It's the size of an American Austin. 3.10 M long and 1.20 wide. My idea is that successful designs have no real scale. I know that the 3/4 front photo it could be Model A size, but nope it's small.

As I write this I gotta a call to tell me the Ford Transit with the Chassis inside is headed out way. The old man that owned it started it for the driver. We'll see it mid day tomorrow. Music for our weekend

Next week we go to the big city and have the honey- comb radiator cleaned

Perhaps we'll have a running truck soon. 35 mph running maybe. You know I work on big things and small I'm just as happy when one of the little fart cars run as the mega valuable ones..... maybe more so.

We go to big car meetings and people show up with transporters .... teams of mechanics tend to cars. Little car rallys the are all sitting owbners and wives and kids pile in the cars shake and come alive at sortta kindda line up..... We went to a Dixi (German A7) rally a couple years ago the cars got lost several time on the route you'd be traveling down the road and suddenly car would be coming back at you! Everyone stops pulls out maps and sets them on their roofs. Big discussion ...... and off to get lost the next time AND the chase truck had a GPS

Mille Miglia, Goodwood are wonderful but the little car events, like the farm truck rallys, are really special :)

21. noboD

noboD

Bluto, how about posting the pic with your mechanic's legs sticking out of the Rosengart? That gives pretty good perspective of size.

22. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I think Bluto's leg would be sexier. ;)

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Here's some of the Rosengart club :)

Better prospective than my mechanic under the car.

Attached Files:

24. Would NOT want to mess with the hausfrau on the far right :eek::D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  25. Can someone please tell me what intake manifold this is? Thanks!!

Attached Files:

26. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

B.....I got the charger set up and going last night. I charged some ZR4 2-spark magnets for a Mercer which only would hold to 15 lbs. when pulling an iron bar from them with a spring scale.

After charging the magnet will hold over 40 lbs. Works GREAT!!!!!! Bosch specifys that you need 20-25 lbs so the extra will give you more time before the magnets get weak again.

You at right about about car events......I go to the big ones w/clients but it is much more fun going to an event with regular cars and people.

The Rosengart is neat.....have fun with it.....

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Mac

The people standing in the photo are all short.... ref the young boy standing

The lady you refer to is maybe 4-9

28. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Get that piece of junk BANGER out of here......

29. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

may i send you some magnets?...please :)