Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there anyway do to a truck rod right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TurboShadow, Jul 14, 2010.

1. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

I recently scored a 39 chevy 1.5 ton. Mostly for the cab, and it is in great shape. Ive been scouring the internet, searching, and looking at a ton of pics for ideas/inspiration. This build will probably be fender less, due to the fact I'm broke, and it has the big fenders. But the more I look, the less I see "right" ways to build a truck like this. 90% of the time the proportions of what I find are way off. The front axle is 3 feet in front of the grill, and the tires are rubbing on the back of the cab. Or, if the tires aren't rubbing on the cab, the wheelbase is about the same as a 1 ton chevy 4 door! The cab has also been chopped/channeled to death! I think from what I have found these cabs are cheap, so they turn into rat rods, and those are the pics of what I'm finding. Now, I know most people are going to say the anything after 34 has to have fenders. That just isn't a option for this build.

So does anyone have any pics or links to a good looking, or somewhat trad build would look like? Thats what I'm looking for.

Thanks
    Dustin

2. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

I should also say I'm a drag racer at heart. If I go through with this build, it has to be functional and fast! Im a function over form guy...

3. I don't know what you've searched so far, but try "Rudy truck".
    That truck set the bar many years ago, and most fall short of it, as you have noticed.

4. Yes- leave the fenders on.

The fender openings constrain the wheels/tires/axle locations. By removing the fenders, a builder can put them wherever they want... 90% of them get the proportions wrong.

Rudy's pickup is the noteworthy exception.

Why is retaining the fenders "not an option for this build" ?

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

6. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

Because I dont have the 1/2 ton truck fenders. I have the huge 1.5 ton ones. Ive seen those used, and it just looks STUPID. That, and Ive been drawn to fenderless cars since I first saw them.

7. I ditched my fenderless '39 Dodge cab project because I just couldn't get it to look right in my mind, they are just too big without fenders. Why not find some 1/2 ton fenders?
    MoparRon here on the H.A.M.B. put a Wyllis front clip on a Dodge cab, may be an option?

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a 39 chevy 1.5 ton truck looks really cool as a 1.5 ton truck. the further away from that you get the worse it will look.

fenderless late thirties trucks look like shit.

9. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

See, and that trucks wheelbase is still super long. I think to do one of these right the front axle has to be in a close to stock location, with or without fenders. I'm thinking of running parallel leafs too. Thats what it had stock, and looks more correct. I don't understand the fascination with putting ford front axles/suspension under everything... I think the front axle in a somewhat stock location, and a decent length bed would make those trucks look alot better...

I have seen Rudy's truck, and it looks good but still isn't what I'm looking for.

10. I feel this is one of the worst things guys do when they yank the fenders, leave the axle way back behind the grille under the engine. Looks way better right under the grille shell, in my opinion.

11. BISHOP

BISHOP

Sounds like you dont like the truck. Find something you really want to build, because if your not in love with it, it usually never gets finished.

12. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Yeah after 36 it seems the cab just looks wrong fenderless.
    I've seen people add disk brakes (yuk), power steering, or they go really dumb and just drop the cab over a modern chassis and call it a rat rod (puke).

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ken Reirson of Texas built one of the sweetest little Chev trucks in the mid 70's and drove it every where. It wasn't low but it was nicely proportioned and looked great at the time. No fenders and no chop. Maybe his son who is on here can dig a couple of old photos of that blue truck out. I'll look through my albums and see if I can find one or two of it.

14. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Make it into a nice hauler! Or maybe a full size short bed dually?

15. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I agree with Bishop too! Make sure it is what you want before you spend your time and money on it.

16. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

I think it needs to go forward some, so you don't get that under bite look. But when you put the axle under or in front of the grill I think it really throws off the lines.

Your not far off there, honestly. I really want a 27ish T tub, on a A frame with no fenders, low but not to low, and SBC power. But, I cant afford that. My plan is honestly build this low budget into something decent, and sell it down the road to get what I want. I have NOTHING in this cab right now. Hell, I may even try selling it to buy some A parts. But, Id like to look over all my options first.

17. blt2go

blt2go

'39 chevy cabs are great, and i do believe they can be built fenderless and look good. check out the fenderless trucks thread. 37-46 chevy cabs look pretty decent with the mid thirties grill shells. i'm a firm believer in build what you've got rather than spend all your time looking for that perfect vehicle, but never give up on that perfect build either.

18. 54MEB

54MEB

My son and I saw a really nice one in Dearborn, Mi. two weeks ago at the 50's McDonald's on Telegraph. It was spot on. It was a late 40's Ford cab and the proportions were real nice. He said he posted on here and I hope he will put up some pictures. We are searching for a cab for our build now.

I found the Guy! f-6Garagerat

19. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Just thinking about the big fenders a bit... If you use bigger wheels / tires, what would the big fender look like - okay, or still too big? If you want the truck down in the weeds it wouldn't work, but lowered a little, or near stock ride height it would be fine, right? I'm a tall guy and don't care if the truck is ultra-low (and there are running boards for easy entry), and a truck it has to do some work now and then so too low is bad, IMHO. I was thinking of wheels/tires off a modern 3/4 or 1 ton truck, maybe... just saying don't abandon the big fenders until you see if they might work with bigger wheels.

20. Your way is the "right way". If you're searching for the "right way" you'll never build your truck. Beauty's in the eye of the beholder. I have a friend who is super picky about women and is always searching for the "perfect looking girl". He told us about a girl he met recently, how she was so beautiful, amazing body, just stunning! Cut to the chase, he brought her over to a party and we were all shocked at how unattractive she was to all of us!!!! She was perfect in his eyes and thats all that mattered.
    Sorry to give you the values speech but you should do what you want man!

Now, you need to build your truck like these..........................in my opinion!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Now why would you want to build a fenderless 46 chevy truck with a 30's grill, that's just dumb...

22. OK, this one is sweeeeeeeeeeet!
    [​IMG]

23. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Very few of these trucks look right,imo,when built like this.Why not build it like real truck.1/2 ton frames turn up here quite often and cheap due to guys building their own frames and fiberglass fenders 1/2 tons are pretty reasonable when considering how much work you ussualy need to put into originals.Im ussing a four inch drop axel on mine and it looks low enough for me.These trucks have some pretty good lines to them in stock form just lowered a bit.

24. Time for a drug test!

25. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Here ya go..

Attached Files:

26. blt2go

blt2go

he is building a '39 chevy, the cab is very much the same size and proportions all the way to '46. as you can see by the pics that stink posted. those are later cabs with earlier grill shells, and if you read closer you will see i stated mid 30's. come on, pull your head out

27. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

The first truck is Billy Gibbons 36 Ford, not a chevy. Like I said 36 Chevy should be the cut-off.. Here's an example of my buddies.

Attached Files:

28. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

pull your head out[/QUOTE]

Do some more research guy..

29. blt2go

blt2go

wow, both of those pics look just like '36-'37 chevy. not much if any change between '36 and '37 chevy truck cabs. so when was that cut off again.

i thought you were referencing your own pics, i now see that you are referencing stinks.
    mea culpa.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010