Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welding MoPar front fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by katzenhammer, Jul 12, 2010.

1. katzenhammer

katzenhammer

I would like to make my front fenders on my 1950 Plymouth Business Coupe one piece fenders. What are the steps in doing this? Can I do them on the car or do I need to take them off? If I take them off do I tac them first to hold them at proper alignment?

Thanks!

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey ,

What do you have for a welder?
    I'd gas weld them, jus' cuz a gas bead can be controled well, and leaves a nice soft weld. I'd cut the flanges out of both the upper and lower portions of the fenders and replace the metal with a strip, shaped as necessary, and butt welded into place. Hammerweld as necessary, grind flush, and little filler should be necessary.
    A piece of welding rod, used to bridge the gap between the flanges on the outside of the fender, welded in and mudded over ,can be used, but thats a pretty sad assed method, and one that will rust out in the future.
    I'd leave the fenders on the vehicle whyle doing your repairs, and just put some jack stands under it once you have it at a good working heigth.

" Spending a nation into generational debt is not an act of compassion "

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Try it first on an old fender picked up at a junk yard. Cut it apart and try to put it back together. Odds are dollars to a donut, you'll change your mind about wanting to do it.:D................ After years of practice you might get it done without warping the hell out of your fenders.

4. katzenhammer

katzenhammer

Hey thanks guys for the info. Gonna give it a try and hopefully it works for the best...

5. rustbuild

rustbuild
    from oklahoma

So did you or anyone else do this.I would like to see them finished.Mine are on a 49 special deluxe.