Register now to get rid of these ads!

turn signal ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LEE 01, Jul 13, 2010.

1. LEE 01

LEE 01
    from illinois

I searched but cannot find my answer. My electrical skills are little rusty so bare with me. On my 57 f100 I am putting in turn signals. With a 7 wire signal switch I can use my rear lights as a single unit. No problem. My question is can I use my front park lights as a single unit without finding a new 2 wire socket? Or where could I get a 2 wire socket that will fit? I've seen all the diagrams for a 7 wire switch but it shows no connection to the light switch. The 8 wire switch has the connection to light switch but I can't seem to find any of those.

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

NAPA store for a universal 2 wire socket. Why do you think the turn signal switch has to connect to the light switch? They are independent systems.

The 'park' light terminal on the light switch will lipower the front park lamps and the taillights. The 'headlights' terminal will light headlights and taillights. The stoplight wire goes to the turn signal switch, where it is intermittently interupted by the flasher, on the side that is directed by the turn signal lever. All the rest in the turn signal harness are left rear, right rear, left turn, right turn. There is a ground wire also.

3. LEE 01

LEE 01
    from illinois

2 wire from napa it is.
    thanks

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of us would probably carefully remove the original socket and open up the hole it left to put in a universal two pole / wire socket. The socket will look something like this
    http://www.repairconnector.com/products/Universal-2-Wire-Stop-Tail-Turn-Park-Lamp-Socket.html and should be available at Napa or any auto parts house for about the same price as in the add. On my 48 I used a hole saw that had the correct diameter for the universal socket to make the hole for it. That's best done on a drill press.

The park light wire (s) will go to the park light connection on the headlight switch. If you want them on with the head lights like later models, hook them in with the tail lights or put a later style switch in.

On the rears, I'm not sure what you are running for tail lights but if you have trouble getting the brake and turn lights to work the way you want them to you might consider putting two bulbs in the housing. one for brake and one for turn with both hooked up for tail lights.