Register now to get rid of these ads!

You can NEVER go home again !,... or can you ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jul 13, 2010.

1. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i guess the general concensus is that it can happen to anyone sooner or later, if it hasn't already. so with that being the case, not knowing about the car itself, and as most say, go for it, while you still have the chance. or will you be kicking yourself in the ass for not grabbing it while it is was in your grasp?

2. seatex

seatex

Well said, man, well said.....................

3. i say go for it
    if you can't save it at least you would be the one giving it its final rusting place... or resting place if you will like
    not some other sawzaw artist
    tk

4. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I would like to see the then and now pics.
    Harm, if you can get a swingin deal I'd say do it. If its gonna cost more than its worth, well, take someone who's important to you out for a good drunk and dedicate the hangover to good times past.

5. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

The first thing that comes to mind is that I hope you haven't told the present owner about being a previous owner and certainly not about your emotional attachment before negotiating.

The rest of it, I don't understand. You say it's way overpriced, yet seem certain that if you don't' jump on it someone else will get it for parts. So, is it really a terribly bad deal? Is it $500 worth of parts going for $800, or an $800 parts car that he is asking $8000 for? If you really want to build a car like it, and feel the price will fetch another buyer, you should probably jump on it.

6. willymakeit

willymakeit

I still miss my 70 R/T Challenger, and would buy it back in a flash. However since 30 yrs has passed I doubt I could find it.

7. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

T-Time, my comments were not meant as a dig at you!!! WE all at times write stuff, me included, without realising some of the stuff. Dennis is someone a class as a friend, he found my present '33 coupe and sold it to me for a less than market price. He finds deals and projects that us mere mortals could only dream of finding. I really don't know how he does it!!!! He has managed to replicate one of his old cars using the original frame and running gear when someone else bought the car just for the body. He has the skills. We are none of us gettin any younger. I would just love Dennis to finish some of his wonderfull present projects. I think by his own addmission this car was not one of his stand out past cars otherwise he would be working on now, not wondering if he should buy it.
    T-Time please accept my apologies if you thought this was aimed at you, it wasn't. It was aimed at us, me included!
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Got to go against the crowd on this one; I vote keep the memories, let the junker go.

9. Stew that's pretty damned stand up man.

Harm here's the deal I told you if it makes you happy then I'm good with it. Truth is that it will only make you happy if it is a deal that you are really good with to start with.

You just really need to give it a good think before you jump.

About 5 years ago I had a chance to buy back my old Harley, well at least the engine. I imediatley thought man what a deal the fella only wanted about twice as much as I sold the entire bike for and baskets were going pretty high at the time. Now this is a bike that was my address for 7 years. So I guess I will always be pretty attached to it.

I decided to think about it for a week or so; I didn't figure it was going anywhere. After I thought about it for a bit I determined that there were two things wrong with the deal. First off I didn't want to spend that much cash on a motor and still have to round up all the bits to make a bike out of it. Second no matter what I couldn't bring back what I had those long years on the road. Sure it would have been fun to play with but I am now 25 or so years older and my life is different.

Sometimes memories are best left just the way they are, memories.

10. rat deuce

rat deuce

Last year I decided to try to recreate my first wheels (62 falcon/drag car style) I new the original was gone so I'd just start over. After months of looking at overpriced junk I ended up getting a better deal on a 66 mustang (the car I really wanted in high school) It will have the same style,paint and feel but will create it's own memories and be done much better! I think the old girlfreind remark is the best one here so far....

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

saw my high school (class of 78) Ram Air III 4 speed GTO Judge at a swap meet a few years back for 12 G's needing complete restoration including a quarter panel. if I had the money to buy it back I'd have done it in a heartbeat.

not really into musclecars or even GTO's anymore for that matter. I had a lot of fun in that car. having it back would be equally fun.

12. X2.

And what kind of car are we talking about; make/model, mods done? Was there a ton of custom stuff done or hard-to-replace parts that have to be found?

Financially, how far upside down would this project make ya'? Can you swing it financially?

And why did you sell it?

Not trying to pry, but those are the questions that would guide my decision if it were my own car.

-Bill

13. I still kick myself daily for selling the '40 Chevy P/U I purchased when I was 15 years old. I tore it down with my father and began a frame off original restoration... got about 80% done and decided I wanted a Mustang GT... well... my g/f at the time instigated that "thought" I should say. So long story short... I sold the truck... got the 'Stang... dumped the girl a year later... sold the 'Stang a week after that... tried to get the truck back and he wouldn't sell it even with a $-cherry-$ on top the offer... lost track of the guy and the truck. One of the dumbest things I ever did... automotively speaking.

I've thought about finding another P/U and doing it again but it just wouldn't be the same as the one I worked on with my dad who passed away in 2000. If I found the truck tomorrow... well... that'd be a tough decision and a load of emotion.

At the moment I'm still slowly gathering all of the parts for my '28 Coupe... which ironically is what dad wouldn't let me build when I was a punk kid as he thought I'd end up killing myself with a hot-rod.

Some times it's just best to go back home with pictures and memories.

Good luck.

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

Wow,.... Great responses!

I want to thank you one and all,... You have given me a lot to think about, Now heres the scoop,... The reason the car remained nameless is because it's a O/T car for the HAMB,.... But we all get a little attached to some of our cars. this is why this one is such a part of my memory.

For a number of years I was a Radio Announcer,... I had promised myself that when I made it to the Detroit radio market, I would reward myself with this particular type of car. I had a big block 4spd. version years before that I kept "Improving" it, until it was just about not drivable on the street.

I originally found this little critter totally by accident, and it just spoke to me,... I made a deal and bought it,.... I didn't want to go overboard on it like it's predecessor but I worked on detailing it, improved the stance, Wheels ,... etc. It did everything I wanted it to do and it served me very well. This car was my reward to myself.

Just after I got this car exactly where I wanted it,... I met this Blue eyed Blond,... :cool:
    We dated in that car,.... In a rainstorm I opened the passenger door, sat her down in the passenger seat, knelt down on one knee in a puddle and proposed. Much to my delight she said yes,.....

The car went on our honeymoon with us,... She drove it as much as I did, and we took that car everywhere, including to the La-Mas classes a few years later,... The car was as dependable as a anvil.

Fast forward,.... Just after our first son was born, the car sat a lot because there was no room for a baby seat, and for a growing family, it was impractical. My wife told me I didn't have to sell it,.... but it seemed like the practical thing to do. It found a new owner before I really had a chance to think about it,.... and that's where this story began, in my opening post.

I know this sounds sentimental and a little soft headed,... but seeing that car in it's current condition really hit me hard,... I know it's just a big smoldering pile of what it once was,.... but the Irrational soft headed idiot in me feels like I owe this car one last chance at the road,..... It was a BIG part of a very happy time in my life, I know it's not a time machine, but this car meant a lot to me.

I will keep watching this thread, as I am not sure what to do yet,... (and this is crazy, because I have never been this torn on what to do an ANY car ever before) I appreciate all the responses,... But especially the ones from my old pal Stewart, We have known each other for a long time, and I count him as a good friend,.... However he talks kind-a funny and drives on the wrong side of the street,.....And,.... he's from England,...;)

Anyway,... I will keep you all posted if you have any interest.

Again,.. Thanks so much for your comments,....

15. johnboy13

johnboy13

After that post, I wanna change my vote to "go for it". Though, I do wonder if it's as gone as you say, would it be the same? I'm only 34, my first car was a beat up POS to begin with.

16. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

You didn't say what kind of car this is, Did you? You were not actively seeking out this car? Do you have the space and time to have this car in your life? If you have a bag of cash and space in the shop do it, if you have limited time and money dont do it, build things that you enjoy building. If you build this car to relive your youth or try to go back in time, that will be wrong. You might just be better off restoring the car of your future dreams than the car of past ones.

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Dennis, You've really peaked my interest with this thread. We haven't known each other for a long time but I don't recall you ever mentioning a car that meets this description. As almost all hot rodders have similar stories I'll confess I have one like this in my past. I to have danced around the possibility of reclaiming it and putting it back in my life. It's had 3 owners since the title went out of my name and it hasn't adccumulated more than 5,000 miles since. It's just sitting and the present owner has NEVER driven the car.
    I intend to get with you, possibly this week, to persue the subject we last talked about. Maybe we can console each other about "what was or was not meant to be" and get on with our lives.....................or not.:rolleyes::cool::D

Frank

18. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Not my first car but one of my first favorites was a 1969 Dart Swinger 340 4spd.I was 18 at the time and drove that car everywhere around my town.I sold it and still do not remember why probally because it had over 100000 miles on it in 1974.I had bought that car off the original owner.I found the car several years later and bought it back.The only problem was the last owner had taken the engine ,trans,and rearend out of the car.I kept it for a while but sold it because i figured it would cost more to put the right drivetrain back in the car than what it was worth.I still miss that car today and still want to duplicate the car but my first love was always to build an early Plymouth coupe.I have owned many cars over the years and some were coupes but never the car i had dreamed about.I am now working on a 1934 Plymouth coupe.Maybe after the coupe is done i might build another Dart but i doubt it since they are so high priced now.I guess what i am saying is if you have your all time favorite car now than yes go buy that car.It will never be the same car but it will bring back all those memories of good times.

19. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I always wanted to do another 72 chevelle ,But Move forward and not backwards .Streetrods are where its at..........

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

'course sometimes you have the best sexual exploits of your life before you figure out why!!! I'm thinking of a certain crazy redhead...

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the 70s I helped Dad build a 38 Dodge PU. It was all Caddy drivetrain, plaid seats, long sidepipes, just a kool drivin truck. He sold it a year after I graduated HS and I was saddened that mom wouldn't let him give it to me for a grad present. No matter, I learned a lot, had some fun and it was gone. We were on to bigger and better. Fast forward to 2004. I found it. It was up around Port Huron and still red w/black fenders. I had to call. Talked with the guy for several minutes and then came the crush...he scrapped the chassis and put the body and box on a Dakota frame and got over his head. Sinc he'd scrapped the chassis 3yrs before it was long gone. It never would be the same. Seats and dash were there but the Caddy tilt n tele column, power brake booster, and a few other things were in the wind. It took me 2 weeks just to talk myself out of not going to see it. Today I'm glad. I got too much to do and new memories happenin. I dig where you're coming from. There's one I do want back really bad. He said he'll sell it in his estate and he's not much older than I so...

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, I remember her...

23. 6deuce32yblock

6deuce32yblock

what an interesting thread. so many responses and both have their point. allow me to post mine. dennis, if i could find the car that i proposed to my wife in, took her to the local drive in, soda shop, etcetera etcetera, if would not make any difference what kind of shape it was in to me. shoot fire, i'd be happy just to have it sitting in my shop or yard just to go out there with her and sit in with her. after all, isnt this hobby all about memories, good and bad, and feelings? just my 2 cents worth, by the way, has anyone seen a dark blue 56 plymouth 2 door with a 354 hemi, 2x4s , with spun aluminum discs?

24. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I totally get it. I saw my first car a few years ago. I wanted to follow the guy and try to buy it back. I could't get turned around in time and lost them. Oh well. I keep thinking I might find it. I wish I could...

Buy it. Even if you never restore it at least you still have it.

25. johnboy13

johnboy13

Mmmm, gotta love them redheads!!!

26. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

You old car wants you, you are meant for each other that car is yours and always will be.

27. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Oh sure, now your gonna make me seem like the bloody limey that can't make up his mind! Get your romantic head from up your arse, and go and buy this thing!!!!!
    Now you tell us all the lovey-dovey proposal bits, (thanks for not tellin us all the naughty bits!!). Of course you have to buy it back, AND FINISH IT!!!
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

28. brad chevy

brad chevy

Just go get the thing and go from there, sounds like you are damn serious about wanting to do it and if it don"t work out at least you gave it a good chance.I would definitly rather have one of my olds cars back than my ex-wife. when you get it done just don"t kick it to the curb again.

29. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Just put it together, A BBC Corvette, What better excuse do you need. You can call it your BEYOND your mid-life crisis car!!! After all you are goin thin and you can grow the back long!!!!
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

30. I had a 1967 Mustang that I got in soooo much trouble, that I had to sell it. Dumbest thing I ever did in my life. If I could find it again, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I would not care how much it cost me or if it would ever run again. It would be mine forever and I would be buried in it. Am I crazy? Probably, but I do not care what other people think. It would be mine.
    Now go out and get your car.
    George

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010