Register now to get rid of these ads!

what car did you learn to drive in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69f100, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

I first drove a 1948 or 1949 Buick. I am not sure but I do believe it had an automatic. It was my dear (late) cousin, Sherman who was a heckuva hot rodder and mechanic himself.

2. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

1981 VW Rabbit diesel
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

3. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Learned to "drive" on a '39 Allis Chalmers at about 8-9 years old. Then My Dad wanted to teach my two older brothers to drive a car. I went along to laugh at them getting yelled at by my Dad. After they had him sufficiently pissed off he turns around, looks at me and says "your turn" I was 11, the car was a new '64 Dodge station wagon, 318, three on the tree no P.S., no P.B. and NO radio...loved that car, drove it later to high school and try as i might I could not kill that car! :D

4. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

41 chevy master deluxe straight 6 3 spd. that was in 2002

5. I was 12 in 1966 when my step dad taught me to drive his '59 Ford 1-1/2 ton flatbed.

Within a year, I was driving the same truck to his roofing jobs loaded with materials.

6. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Dad had a 39 Ford he used to make our living. So he wouldn't teach me for fear of me wrecking it. Had to take drivers ed in high school. They had a brand new 50 Ford 4 door 3 speed. Only had one deduction on my State drivers test. Haven't driven that good since.:eek:

7. 1949 Plymouth, sure did have trouble with the clutch, went into the floor, had no trouble with the swinging type!!

8. jbrittonjr

jbrittonjr

First vehicle was an Allis Chalmers tractor when I was seven or eight. I remember that I was not strong enough to engage the clutch if I had to stop. My dad would start the tractor & set the cultivator disc depths, then off I would go into the field.
    My first auto was an early sixties Volkswagen beetle.

9. dmw56

dmw56

International Farmall Tractor at about 7 or 8 years old. Drove up and down the field while my dad picked up hay bales.

10. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

A '56 F-100. Straight six and 3 on the tree. Got my licenses in my dad's '55 Bel Air wagon.

11. Silverado85

Silverado85

[​IMG]

63 ford Galaxie XL. Bullet sights on the fenders. 390 auto with buckets. Point the right hand fender bullet on the white line on the right lane you'll head straight down the road till you get caught drivin!

12. 1948 Ford 3/4 ton truck.

13. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

My parents 67 X-R7 Cougar

Attached Files:

14. My first car, a 1934 3-window chevy coupe. I was 12 years old. It was much more difficult to get it paid off than the actual learning how to drive.
    I must have been a natural, because my Dad made me trade it off for a Simplex servicycle. I never forgave him for that, and doubt that I ever will.

Co-founder of the Re-juvenated NOMADS

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  15. Algon

Algon

58 Chevy 1ton panel with NAPCO conversion...Crash course in power shifting a 3speed in a 1/2 pickup version of the same but finally got my license with my 60 Ventura.

16. burnout2614

burnout2614

9 yrs old, my uncle had this 48 chev 2dr aerosedan. My cousin (his son) taught me how to use the clutch and shifter. I FINALLY talked my uncle out of the car 2 yrs ago. I am 46 now and currently 'updating' the 216 to a 230, synchro 3 spd and open rear. Keepin the 6 lug wheels and drums! peace

17. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

1974 Toyota landcrusier!! Before any throttle issues.

18. My Brothers '53 Pontiac, flatheat 6 w/ 3 on the tree. I was about 14.

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My mothers 1965 Oldsmobile Jet Star 88, 4 dr sedan, 330 2 barrel motor with a Super Turbine 300 trans. Jet black car with a red interior. That car would smoke the tires 300+ feet, easily; but what, the tires were only 7.75X14's. The folks bought it new; I came home one day to find my dad had sold it to a friend of my younger brothers' for $100.00; I was pissed! It would have made the perfect sleeper with a big block Olds and a TH400 trans. I guess because I had my own car by then, a 56 Chevrolet, he thought I would'nt have wanted it. Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. StrickV8

StrickV8

1968 Opel Cadet Wagon

21. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

1933 Plymouth 2-door sedan. It was our shop loaner - push vehicle, and I guess my father figured I couldn't do too much damage driving it around the back lot. It was painted Texaco Green with a can of paint and a paint brush. Very cool.....:D

SAFU

22. leorilla

leorilla

Hi, I learned to drive in a 1955 Desoto convt.

leorilla

23. I was really lucky. In '69, at 14 yrs old, a new friend taught me to drive his very near new 68 SS 350 Camaro with a 4-speed in a local college parking lot. It was the Summer I moved to Socal from New York. Later on that same Summer, my parents bought a house in North Hollywood. The lady across the street taught me how to double clutch the 3 speed in her 36 Ford 5 window coupe.

24. 51 Chevy stick. My mom was an excellent driver and when I was eleven she decided it was time for me to learn the art of using the clutch under all conditions so I got to drive quite a bit on the back roads in the countryside. By the time I got my first car, (A bone) I quickly became familiar with that ole crashbox and usually only used the clutch to get underway. Haven't driven one in almost 50 years. I wonder how long it would take me to pick it up again.

25. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

69 Dart 2 door 318 auto.
    At the time I thought it was a piece of junk, but wish I had it now.

26. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Youngin' here, born '86.

I learned to drive in a '91 Jeep Wrangler, 6cyl with a 5-speed.

My first car was a 1960 F-100, 6cyl 3-speed, which I then put a Y-block in a few years later.

27. 31fordV860

31fordV860

First 1960 F-100 riding the back roads in my uncles truck in quail valley California at 12yo... 3 on tree...

Later on ...mr sethman the metal shop teacher in high school in drivers Ed in his 66 impala... Back when school districts had money for DEducation..

28. Well define learning to drive.

When I was about 13 I lived on a big hill in San Francisco. The old guy across the street had a 48 Chrysler and he always left the keys in it. We used to coast it down the hill then go careening around the neighborhood in it. I don't know of you can call it driving. We never wrecked it did jump a curb or two and we always put gas in it before we brought it back.

My freshman year in high school we moved to a country town in Oregon the Ag teacher used to let me use the FFA tractor once in awhile. It was a John deer (I don't remember the number) but it would run an honest 45 mph. I took a girl to the drive in on it once. We didn't get much back seat time but we had a blast that night.

But officially learning to drive with a learner's permit and everything I did in my Uncle Wells' '64 Ford pickup. It was a custom cab maroon and white. ( I owned a car prior to that that I drove around when no one was looking but it doesn't count as learning to drive right?) So I guess I learned to drive in a '64 Ford.

29. nwaringa

nwaringa

1983 Plymouth Horizon.... Yes I admit it.

30. nail-head

nail-head

'67 shortbed Chevy P/U, standard, my dad's custom.

And a '63 Corvair convertible, standard, mom's car.