Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rookie question- Model A or B??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PaRatRod, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Personally, I wouldn't strip the paint off and let it rust, that's kind of like saying "I'm going to ruin it on purpose". Your intention should be to save it so that future generations can find it, just the way you did, and rebuild it.

So please, put some type of paint on it. Imagine if the previous owner "stripped off the paint and let it rust", then you'd have a real piece of junk on your hands.

2. V4

V4

The bed is a 'T'. 1926-27.
    A wider bed (late 1931 and later) may fit the cab better, looks wise.

3. smarg

smarg

I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for this car.......

4. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Yes. Ratrod is more than just 2 words as some try to downplay the term. There ARE ratrods out there. It is a type of car.

...now change your name to PAHOTROD

5. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

6. deluxerux

deluxerux
    from WI

This thread is hilarious.

7. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

I see it!!!!!! I think it's attached to the front of a train.:confused:

8. Stripping the paint and letting it rust is not traditional! I wish my car had nice paint...

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

You didnt pay to much ,You have a model a bed though ....Looks sweet

10. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Model B stands for 1932 ford 4cyl

Rat Rodders: are really street rodders who want to "hang with the young guys because they think its cool to have a primered rod" or "band wagon traditional hot rodders" that "dont get it"!

Im a Hot Rodder because its my passion and it has been my whole life as passed down from my father and from his mentor (a 20's and 30's hot rodder, machinist of the Harry Miller/ Ed Winfield era).

11. butterboy

butterboy

How about instead of R#t Rod..You throw a small block chevy in it and call it a..."Mouse Rod". That would be safer around here.
    Nice start to a cool Hot Rod!!!Good Price to!

12. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

I would change your screen name if you plan on hanging around here much.

13. Deuces

Deuces

Just do yourself a favor kid.... Change your screen name too something else and loose that r%t r%d mentality. Build yourself a nice truck.. Your in good company on this forum. Don't ruin it for yourself!

14. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

15. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

If I were you, I'd look for a different forum. If you think letting a car go to waste ('let it rust') is a real bona fide rebel move, you're not only on the wrong forum, you're in the wrong hobby. The RR term is meant to be derogatory, directed towards idiots that cannot weld, but go ahead and throw a bunch of slag all over half-butchered, non-engineered suspension from all kinds of sources. Like you, they are happy to let the 'car' continue to deteriorate while instead of trying to make some decent bodywork, they busily slather home-made spiderwebs in every open corner.

Give it up

dj

16. 117harv

117harv

A big block chevy was called a RAT long before the r&t r%d term came into being. Any hot rod with a big block chevy could be a rat rod if one wanted to call it that. The term is so misused by the laymen that a 5 year old new car or truck with matt paint is clasified a r#t r&d.

I haven't been here that long, but i like all types of vintage iron in all kinds of conditions as long as it is safe and well built. I have had rides in the past with nice paint, patina with more paint than rust and all surface rust. It seems that any rusty or or heavily patinad ride seems to get the r-r label, especially here on the HAMB.

Just because the body and or chassis has surface rust or not painted glossy doesn't mean it's not safe or well crafted. Lots of customer parts and cars i have done in the past have had HEAVILY patinad bodies sitting atop of well crafted chassis, with many referbished vintage parts as well as hand made parts when needed. I have alot of pride in my work and SAFETY is my main concern, welds, steering and brakes. I have severall projects going at this time, but am afraid to post because of negitive feedback, because maybe a few items or design cues may not be within some members guidlines or liking.

This is a TRADITIONAL and CUSTOM site and it is by far the best! To the OP a screen name change may be in your best interest, and the negative comments should be taken with a grain of salt. There are alot of great people here with a wealth of info, soak it in and do your new project in the way it deserves to be done, well thought out with the right components and with safety as your first concern.

17. flatford39

flatford39

Sorry to correct you guys but that bed is a Model T 26 or 27. It is not an A bed.

18. Words of Wisdom from a true seasoned veteran. :rolleyes:

First post isn't an introduction or anything of value, maybe you ought to read the rules.:eek:

19. deluxerux

deluxerux
    from WI

My apology on that. I will post my introduction.

20. Mid and West

Mid and West
    from midwest

You guys worried about the name rat rod, have some similarities I have seen before.

Are you equal to the NSRA dudes, 40 years ago, that wore cowboy hats and proclaimed street is neat? You surely will be starting other rules, like no burnouts anywhere, nothing loud or dangerous, its a family sport you know, blah - blah.

I used to find these dudes and their NSRA inspected Boyd-mobiles, power-parked at the big nationals. They made up new rules, and pretended to be dignified, until every kid thought they were a cop or high school principal! I have seen it before, it bored me so bad, I swore off "street rodding" and "street rodders" in the 80's and turned my car into a drag car.

Call your car what you want and have fun again. The street rodders have invaded this board with the PC stuff.

I went to Memphis in 1975, had a blast, but by 1983 they were accusing me of having too much fun the night before, and took my windshield sticker!

21. ScottV

ScottV

rat rods ??? Why on earth would you want to make something shitty on purpose ???

22. crapshoot

crapshoot

looks like you nailed it, stick around and do some searching on 32 pickup builds get some ideas about what traditional rods are and you will probably change your mind as far as your build goes and hopefully you won't go down the r@tr@d road witch is kinda like tramp stamp tattoos and pastel colored streetrods

23. Beautiful Starter!!!

I'd leave the body alone and concentrate on providing and good solid chassis and running gear...

Then sell it if you want something "Rusty"... there's plenty of Rusty Model A Pick ups for that R@#%^D project!

<center>[​IMG]</center>

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  24. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

Rat rodding is one of the terms that should be dammed in the english language sorry man.

25. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

I would like to personally thank Metalman, hotrodprimer, suhrsc, funrodding, ebbsspeed, fuzzyknight, v4, fiveohnick, matthrasher and flatford39 for taking the time to answer my original question about the model A or B, and contributing some info on the differences.

I would also like to thank those who expressed their opinions on what I am doing, positive or not. They have been noted and thought about but not all are consistent with my objective.

Like Pist-N-Broke said as well as a few that sent me a P.M.- I am going to build it the way I want and call it what I want. I already have an old 68 Camaro bracket race car, the new Vette with nice paint, a 57 Belair with not so nice paint but will someday. I like the fat tire, low stance, RatFink style hotrods. I think they are cool and that is my objective. I like the R**R*D look and want to add one to my choice of fun things to drive.

I appreciate everyones input and cant wait to get some work done on this thing. I will have more questions in the future. It sounds like there are a bunch of knowledgable people out here and I look forward to some good technical discussions, as well as hearing your opinions, and even a little freshman hazing for the new guy just trying to build a R**R**.

Hope everyone has a great day! :)

Jim in PA

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  26. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

True it is yours, build it the way you want it. But if you trash a perfectly good project, be ready to be flamed. You might be better served on one of those other forums than here. Build a traditional styled rod out of it, you will thank yourself later.

27. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

everybody grab a stick n gather round the dead horse! jeeze, cut the guy some slack. he had no idea he was offending anybodys delicate sensibilities. he probably gets it now. :)

28. ^
    +1

He's got what appears to be a good Cab to start with. Just needs a good chassis to stick it on now.

29. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

to ruin it that price was high cuz u can eventually find a pre ruined one cheaper. but thats a bout fair to put a few extra hours into and cure the cancer. and here we go with the rr pissing match. although my vote goes to stop all rr ing

30. Jax2A

Jax2A

I could care less about the term... but what kind of fool pays $2600 for something to "let it rust"??? Shoot if that's what you want I'll trade you straight up for a pre-rusted 27 T-Touring body and you won't have to wait for your patina.... And here I was going to fix it and paint it.