Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar Tranny I.D. Help Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4woody, Jul 12, 2010.

1. 4woody

4woody

At some point I'm going to swap my sbc for a sbm. This tranny is for sale locally at a good price. Seller knows nothing about it (it was left behind by tenants who left in a hurry) but it is a TCI build that appears never to have been installed.

Can anyone I.D. it just from this photo??
    TIA

Attached Files:

2. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

torqueflite, get a serial / casting # from the trans case just above the pan on the left side....post it and you can get a year make model from it

any other pics?

3. 4woody

4woody

The guy gave these numbers:
    PK 3898666-5555-9563

I Googled the numbers and got nowhere. No other pics at this time.

4. 4woody

4woody

OK-
    I got the guy (it is about an hour away from me) to count the bolts on the pan: 14 means it is a 727, right?

Also he had another look at the numbers and says 388(or maybe 9 a for the 3rd digit)8866-5555-9536.

Seems to make it a 1976 from an LA powered truck unless somebody tells me otherwise.

5. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

should have the serial # from the vehicle it was pulled from stamped in it on a machined rail just above the pan, ie" LM23H0R****** would be a 70 dart swinger 340 auto car......

as well, the pan will have a small "bump" at the front pass side, thus a 727, a 904 t flite has no bump on the pan, check some pics online of 727 vs 904 gaskets and you'll see my take

6. potshot

potshot
    from MT

It looks like a small block 727. Be aware that mopar balanced some of their engines with different sized weights on the torque converter.

7. reasonable...TCI...never put in....buy it...and that's from a mopar guy....

8. Hellvedere Steve

Hellvedere Steve
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Coalfield

If you are gonna run a 360, they are externally balanced and run a different converter than 318. You can tell by the ballancer on the front of the motor. If you run an LA motor 67' and earlier the journal on the crank that the nub of the converter slips into is smaller than the later ones. As far as I know, you can't run a later model converter unless you change the crank or have it machined.

9. 69fury

69fury

jump on that one if it's not for stupid money- 727 can be built as strong as you ever want it to be. pretty reliable- you HAVE to have the carb linkage attached to it unless it is a manual valve body. check for a tci model number on a sticker to determine- it uses the same hole as the gear selector.

The reason is that the lever adds line pressure to the clutches and bands as the carb opens. Bouchillon performance makes a cable kit for it (uses a OEM cable off a minivan er sumthin like that- not fancy but dead reliable)

rick

10. 4woody

4woody

I don't even have a motor yet, but I think I'll go ahead and get the tranny and tuck it away till I find an engine.

Any advice on how to store it? Should I put anything inside to protect it while it is sitting?