Register now to get rid of these ads!

ATTENTION Aussie Hambers!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retroline, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Retroline

Retroline

You may or may not have heard about proposed changes to our registration laws for modifield vehicles.
    Here is what I recieved via email:

The NSW RTA is proposing changes to the current registration system for modified vehicles. These changes will mean that the majority of modified vehicles will be classified as individually constructed and will have to comply with the ADR's current on the day that it goes for registration. Please follow the link below and sign the petition to assist us in taking the fight to the NSW Transport Minister.

http://www.gopetition.com/online/37707.html

This will mean an end to Traditional Hot Rodding in NSW and I'm sure if it passes it will make its way to every other state.
    Just imagine you traditional hiboy roadster with ABS brakes, padded dash boards with air bags and all the junk of a modern car.
    Please take a look at the link above and sign the petition as we need to stick together on this since we have no SEMA in Australia.
    Thanks.

2. Fe26

Fe26

I hadn't heard of these proposals by the RTA. So who is behind this petition? I have just read it and its lack of detail and clarity of purpose is worrying. IMHO this one wouldn't even make it to the front door or Parliament let alone the Ministers office.
    Perhaps the relevant car and other modified vehicle organisations should get involved and no doubt they will if warranted.

3. zep058

zep058

Signed.

I will get the word out through some other clubs as well.

237 signatory's in two days, should be easy to get the numbers going once the word is out

4. This has been in the mix for ages. The NSW TAC has for years had to deal with constantly changing RTA department heads, re-educating them each time about what the hobby is and why it should be allowed to exist as it does. It made progress difficult and frustrating always having to go back to square one. Unfortunately these days so many government bureucrats do not come from car modifying cultures - they have NFI.
    There is/was also a known figure in there who has a personal prejudice against anything modified.

Perhaps NSW should have embraced the national street rod rego scheme earlier? I know the TAC resisted it because they thought they were on a better wicket. In some ways they were, but...

Sorry this isn't really constructive.

5. celticskull

celticskull

signed
    i herd about this a while ago
    lets see if we can make a difference

6. Well it sounds like my next donor car will be a 2010 Daewoo??!!!!???!!!

7. Flicked it to 40 of my gearhead mates and left them a "nice" msg.

"There is/was also a known figure in there who has a personal prejudice against anything modified" Why? Was his mum run over by a hot rod driven by a hoon? F**K HIM and all his ilk, self serving rat bastads.

I sense that people (gearheads or not) on the whole in this country are rapidly becoming disillusioned, angry and disenchanted with the status quo.

I can see a lot of unrest on the horizon if these moronic, draconian, money grabbing and punitive measures continue.

The Govts are broke; they need to divert attn from the real issues of their incompetence and need to fleece John Citizen again to try and balance the budget. Nothing new here.

Hell they even went after the mining sector - the only gig thiat is keeping Oz afloat.

Funny how the rhetoric and measures being considered here closely reflect what is happening in broke California.

Im holding back in case ya'all did'nt notice.

The times they are a changin....watch this space.

Rat

8. Done.
    Leave our hard won freedoms alone.

Hey Public 'Servant'; Stop fixing our systems (they ain't broke). It won't justify your own superfluous agency.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  9. Shit...they really are hammering you guys.......fenders on everything.....impossible to import cars anymore and now your trad build in the shed will have to have all the 2010 fruit to be legal.

Don't wait and see if some one else will organise something ...you all have to get on it now, otherwise Aussie hotrodding will be dead!
    Seriously, you need to google LVVTA NZ and read it through and contact them. This template was created by hotrodders and other car clubs back when NZ's gummint was trying to do exactly the same thing to us.
    It is the reason we now enjoy fenderless exemptions, easy importing, and virtually none of that bollocks that you look like you are going to get stuck with. Check it out

Either that or you could all move across the ditch.......bring a torch though, it'll help you find the lightswitch....and save you tripping over the sheep in the lounge. :D

10. Let's get this clear for those that don't know, NSW is one state and this issue relates to the administration of rego in that state only.

I was told by some of the TAC guys I know (and who were on the govt liason committee) that there is a 'person'* who is into enforcing rules to the letter. Apparently he said that it didn't matter if you had ALL the parts for 1970 Falcon stored since 1970, if you assembled it in 2010, it's a 2010 car and must comply as such. That's the mentality. Pen pushers who are not car people and who don't give a shit.

*This 'person' may or may not still be involved so don't quote me.

p.s. You can import cars, but there are issues with ones modified in another country more recently than 1989.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  11. fat141

fat141

For what its worth, if you are currently registered,nothing to worry about (yet), if you are taking on a NEW project you must inform ASRF of your start date and approx completion date (as if it ever goes to plan) and should the ADRs change over that period, the rules applicable at your start date will apply. Thats the way I understand it from a joint meeting of Romans/Drag-ens Hot Rod Club meeting recently.
    Still not FN good anyway.
    Cheers
    Rod

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  12. Chevy

Chevy

just signed, I was number 538, we need to all get behind this.

Chevy...

13. Is there a valid source or any verification for this situation?

14. Im for one am over this shit sucking parasites who are trashing our great country and our people's freedoms and individuality with this bullshit.

Our past Diggers would be turning in their graves to what our country has been turned into today. Very sad shite indeed....

For those that are interested, heres the link to the NZ deal...http://www.lvvta.org.nz/

The RTA and Prick Roads in Vic are the only ones holding off on signing the NSRG - now we can begin to see why.

Im afraid that this will spill over into Vic as well, if that happens we are fucked.

It wont be long before they target already registered cars if this shit goes thru. WTF are these clowns thinking?

They're SUPPOSED TO SERVE the public.....the real concerning thing for me is the way the changes happen here now...ZERO consultation with ANY of the affected parties or the electorate. Same shit with my guns and now with my cars. Its like they believe thay can shoot you then dance on your grave and nobody will say shit.

I say enough is enough.

VOTE the fuckers OUT and get clear on HOW to do it without giving the Tree Huggers any extra votes in the process.

Get CLEAR on what the Opposition's Policy will be on our hobby/sport and what they intend to do BEFORE they get your vote. I will be.

Hell if this shit keeps up I'm gonna have to move to the land of the Long White Cloud or Sheepsville.
    Rat

15. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

signed.we all need to do this.it will effect us all, this cancer will spread.
    this is another attack on our freedoms and our right to enjoy life as we choose (within reason).
    the lucky country, i think we're slowly loosing that mantle.

16. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

good words rat,but i feel that the common man has lost his voice and ablility to make a change in this ''DEMOCRACY'',it dosen't mean i/we should stand by and let this happen but i sometimes feel a sense of hoplesness.

17. "good words rat,but i feel that the common man has lost his voice and ablility to make a change in this ''DEMOCRACY'',it dosen't mean i/we should stand by and let this happen but i sometimes feel a sense of hoplesness."

I hear ya brother....but we have to start somewhere right?

When a country is being run by parties who only want to serve their own interests/masters, we are in deep trouble.

I feel history is repeating itself once again.

Rat

18. peter johnson

peter johnson

Im in and signed.Dont want to be like other sheeple!We do have a voice!

19. farmer12

farmer12

Will it help if I and all other non oz hambers sign? or do you have be a resident of oz? If not, you'll get some serious numbers I'm sure.

20. Go for it Farmer....and thanx to Retro and QQ Moon for the heads up !!

Rat

21. fat141

fat141

Check your home email mate
    Rod :)

22. fat141

fat141

23. tmf

tmf

This is from the NSW ASRF June 2010 Minutes.

"What was discussed were the changes in NSW to MPV (Modified Production Vehicles) and ICV (Idividually Constructed Vehicles). The RTA are intending that soon all Modified Production Vehicles will have a FINAL inspection by the RTA;the Engineer will have to provide evidence to their approvals and the base for a Street Rod will no longer be apair of chassis rails and one cross member. The RTA believes that we are so close to being able to achieve ICV, with concessions on some of the ADR'S (Australian Desigin Rules) that this is the track we should consider. "

24. Thats nuts.....

So if the hot/street rod's chassis rails are NOT what denotes its origin or date of manufacture, then the date it is submitted for engineering or rego is?

Who is the imbecile that came up with that ?

As in the changes to importing cars, there has not been ONE declaration by these idiots as to WHY WHY WHY these changes are taking place.??????

Lets see....radical goal post moving that affects hundeds of thousands of law abiding citizens, their businesses and incomes, their livelihoods, their passion, their history, their hobby, their sport and their rights and NOT ONE reason is given for the draconian changes?

From what rock did these assholes crawl out from uder?

Can someone pls explain to me how a MODIFIED production vehicle all of a sudden becomes and Individually Constructed Vehicle?

Because according to this crap - that would make the hot rodder himself a MANUFACTURER, would it not?

Pissed off.

Rat

25. farmer12

farmer12

Signed up, I'm #711. C'mon all you Hambers in the rest of the world and sign up! Let's help our Australian brothers!

26. Next question: I assume this applies to full rego only? Club remains the same?

27. Retroline

Retroline

Tony, as far as I know it is for all modified vehicles full registration. From what I'm hearing, modification could mean paint colour change ,wheel change, ride height ect. I'm chasing for more info.........This will affect any car group or club wanting something other than off the showroom floor.

28. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

This is just unbelievable!

This really is simply ridiculous!

We need to get together and as respectful, honest, not hoon-like BUT firm (Which is what the citizens of this country lack- firmness) enthusiasts bring these imbeciles down!!

I mean, this is a tradition/passion/hobby that has merit, value, respect yet as Rat has stated several times, the media/govt has portrayed us as unsocial hoons!!

Now in turn, this is how purposely the govt has warned the non-enthusiasts about us being hoons and all of a sudden, everyone's jumping up and down when someone gets killed by a "Hoon"!!

Moreover, it is ironic that every single apparent "Hoon" who is shown on TV is some hoodlum driving a commodore who has no appreciation of the hobby's tradition and has no respect for it and in turn, no clue how to even hold a wrench!!

This is what we need to educate the PUBLIC about (Becuase they are the ones who are voting)- That we are respectful, careful and honest enthusiasts who In comparison to any road death, have undoubtabley caused minimal to NO injury or accident!!

HeyyCharger.

Proud Hot Rodder.

29. King Nothing

King Nothing
    from Sydney

Hey all

I don't drive a rod (would love to some day), but currently drive a legally modified BA falcon. My father has just bought an XY GT replica. I know plenty of people with modified cars and 4WDs. Everyone will be affected by this proposal.

As far as I have read, this online petition is the only bit of information out there aside from the meeting minutes in this thread. Is there anything official at all out there, from the NSW RTA or state government?

About this time last year we were blindsided by the proposed VSI 50 suspension laws, and with a combination of effort from a large group of enthusiasts it was stopped.

From what I've read, this is VSI 50 on steroids. Any modification at all will require the car to meet the ADR standard of the day. You rodders would be buggered. The car scene would be stuffed. Even people who want to modify their suspension to tow boats, caravans, etc wouldn't be able to do so.

What about taxis? Police cars? Disabled vehicles? Resprays? New brake discs? Different brake pads? Non-OEM tyres? It would destroy an industry and costs hundreds, if not thousands of jobs.

Surely this is just a bad dream or a terrible rumour?

30. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope this works out for you guys. X38 hit the nail on the head. If the National Guidelines actually go National this wont be an issue any longer.

Not devaluing the work of those that are trying to help here but perhaps going to the RTA with a solution as well as the problem could be a start?