Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Lucky Bastards Car Club documentary finally done!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evil erik, Jul 8, 2010.

1. evil erik

evil erik

What began as a film school project almost three years ago has finally come to fruition! After working in the television industry in a variety of capacities for thirteen years, I decided it was time for a career change and headed back to school to pursue a teaching degree with a focus on documentary filmmaking.

The graduate program required a capstone project, which after a series of attempted documentary projects related to the music scene, I found my calling when I met the Minneapolis Lucky Bastards car club!

Growing up around cars, my dad was in a car club but the main difference was that his cars sat in the shed most of the time and only ventured out on rare occasions. I can count on one hand how many times I was allowed to drive his ’66 Mustang convertible, which wasn’t much motivation to follow in his footsteps, however the Lucky Bastards opened my eyes to a new view of vintage cars that weren’t about getting plastic trophies or parades, but embodied a DIY spirit that I could relate to as an artist and musician.

Over the course of a year I followed the L.B.’s many activities that provided an interesting story that demonstrated their interest in cars that extends beyond the garage to every aspect of their lives!

In the course of my production and research I found the H.A.M.B. to be a tremendous resource for not only the history of traditional hotrodding but a way to connect to others on a global scale who also share a passion for cars, art and ideas that never go out of style!

With the help and friendship of the club I was able to complete the project, graduate film school and even landed a teaching gig, and along the way I couldn’t help but being bit by the traditional kustom car bug myself and was “lucky” to find a 1950 Mercury coupe as a graduation present to myself!

The documentary covers aspects related to a traditional hotrod club: The members and the gals, (of course the cars) building, driving and sharing limited resources, swap meets and car shows, (Minneapolis Messaround and World of Wheels) neo-traditional style: greased hair, clothes, tattoos and music and above all the camaraderie that is the backbone of the club! Extra features include the award winning “Built by Grain Belt” beer commercial (as seen on the HAMB), The Violent Shifters band (featuring LB members and yours truly) The Porter Mufflers commercial and more…

The film has had a few successful local screenings but is ready to reach a wider audience.
    I would like to thank the HAMB,friends and family and especially the Lucky Bastards for their help in making my project a reality!

Info at: www.luckybastardsmovie.com

2. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Great little tidbit, Erik! You are very talented and do awesome work!
    Clark

3. evil erik

evil erik

Thanks so much Clark! It has been awesome working with you and your wife on the Porters Mufflers commercial and look forward to future projects too!

When I showed my uncle the commercial, he told me a story about when he used to have Porters on his 1940 Ford that had a smoke-screen device set up to dump kerosene on the mufflers with a remote switch!? crazy but cool!
    Thanks again,
    Erik

4. Von Kragen

Von Kragen
    from linwood,MN

just caught part of the film on tpt2 last night. now iv'e got to order it to see the rest. looked like a very well done documentary, kudos!!

5. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

6. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

can we order yet?

7. Looks like a great video!

8. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

9. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Are there any other teasers?

10. I didn't see it listed. What is the running time of the documentary?

11. evil erik

evil erik

Thanks so much for checking out the LBCC documentary on PBS in MN (TPT!)

So not to offend any would be viewers, it was listed as "The Car Club" but the full title was included on the TPT website.

The run time was 28:30 which was about ten minutes shorter than the original uncensored version.

The original version is available on DVD via the website: www.luckybastardsmovie.com
    and includes bonus features: "Built By Grain Belt" beer commercial,
    Porter Mufflers commercial, "The Violent Shifters" band interview and "Twistin' Tarantulas" interview at World of Wheels.

According to the TPT program director the viewing statistics were around 20 % higher than normal for the Sunday night 10:30 time slot, so as a result it will replay again some time in December, which I will post as soon as I find out!

Cheers,

Erik Johnson

12. billys54

billys54

Love the trailer justed ordered the dvd

13. evil erik

evil erik

Cool man! Thanks so much!

14. Dave K

Dave K

The trailer is great!!! Looking forward to seeing the whole video!!

15. Hey Erik

I got your movie yesterday. I have to say they a quiet a group of guys and girls. You certainly have a talent. Makes me wanna move to West. I love the old way of doing things. I love seeing guys doing it the way it used to be.