Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

OK Dave, if you insist ;)
    Here are a couple more!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. I was at that race too when it happened. Small world, eh? Sometime around '74 or '75 maybe? Don't remember what caused it but seems like it happened pretty well downtrack. The car was a gorgeous example before the crash, and it, or the replacement car, looked just as good the next year at the U.S. Nationals. Think I've got pictures of it from Muncie; kind of heartbreaking to see the damage. If I took a week off work I could probably find them in my "archives". :rolleyes:

3. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

A little York update: I was lucky enough to have the "Anderson Olds" '69 W31 parked near "Buckshot", "In-Bomber", and a slew of other fantastic cars. Larry Lombardo was re-united with "Buckshot" and many photos were taken so some should show up here. Tomarrow, (Sat.) I here Mr. Sinistri will also be in attendance. I had the pleasure of meeting the new owner of "Buckshot" and "In-Bomber" and both guys are top-notch. See everybody tomarrow. Until next time..... Dave.

4. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Oh yeah, I almost forgot---- I saw Joe Scotto today before the show and he said he will be there Saturday along with Carl Bennett and Ron Siriani. Bye for now.

5. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

A few more YORK images ...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

YORK ... continued:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Hey Pete,
    You get an A+ in your History/Archive Class.
    Nothing gets by you.
    Don't forget, the Centolanza Bothers won the 71' Super/Stock Magazine Nationals at York that year with their 67' R/O Belvedere II. That should have been a
    co-sponsored NHRA Eastern-based Event.
    PC

8. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Pete,
    That 64' Plymouth '426' Max-Wedge "Plum Crazy' from 1971.
    Did that guy ever run a 70' T/A Challenger in SS/I in 72'/73' called 'Plum Crazy'.
    Saw a purple one at Dover several times in 1972 with that lettering. He was from Jersey.
    PC

9. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Kenny Not "G",
    The 61' Corvette 'Buckshot' won the 1968 Indy Nationals in F/Stock.
    A weight break of 10.50-10.99 wt/hp). It was not in the same class as the
    E/Stock 68' 340 Cuda's, but the 68' 383/300HP Cuda's and Darts were in the same F/S class.
    It was a 283/270HP dual-quad engine.
    Car weight #2902 lbs. Remember only a 'two-seater'
    Some specifics, the 12.78 record was actually set in August 1966 by the Musser Brothers out of Pa. with the same combination. In 1966, they were classed in D/S
    (10.60-11.29 wt/hp). So the record did hold up for almost 2 years.
    Pretty much ran the 65'/66' K-Code Mustangs out of the class.
    Suprisingly, the 68' 327/275HP Camaro's, 68' 350/295HP Nova's, 68' 396/325HP convertible Camaro's and 68' SS396/325HP Chevelle's and El Camino's were all in F/S in 68'.
    They all got knocked out by a 7-year old 283 cubed Vette.
    AMAZING!!!
    PC

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  10. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Great weekend at York. It was good to meet Dean and Dom plus see some old friends, Al, Pocono Jack, Terry. Had a very nice chat with Fred Brocherdt, Ann & Walt Towes and other Jr. Stock greats. It was nice to see two former World Champs on the stage, George Cureton and Larry Lombardo.

Tim Bishop, Buck Wheatley and I traveled together. Tim finally has drug the '57 out of the barn. Maybe we can get moving on the restoration after his farming slows a bit.

Attached Files:

11. We safely got the In-Bomber home last night at 3:00am. We had a blast and it was an absolute pleasure meeting all you guys. It's great people like yourselves that make this hobby fun to be a part of. I had Bill Jenkins, Larry Lombardo, Buck Wheatley, and George Cureton sign the dashboard of the car. Some of you were aware at the time, but the In-Bomber and Buckshot raced each other in the semi finals of the '68 NHRA Nationals, and this show was the first time either car had been exposed in nearly 40 years, and they ended up by chance being parked nearly next to each other. I forgot Tim Bishop was the one who owned that red '57! Would have liked to talked with him about the car.
    -Dean

12. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

I was hoping you would appreciate the opportunity to be in the presence of some of the best Jr. Stock racers in the country.

13. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

That's for sure!!! I knew it was going to be a good time but I had no idea that York would be such a blast to be at. Seeing the people,hearing the stories and just flat out being in the company of the cars and people who actually lived the Junior Stock era was just a bit humbling. Thanks also to all who met at the "hobby horse" in the lobby as well. Now if we can just figure out how to run them together on a semi regular basis...

14. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

I know I had a great time at York and it was refreshing to see some "new" cars that hadn't been out in quite awhile. Congrats to Dean and his family on the "In-Bomber" and to Doc for "Buckshot". They are an important part of our sport and well worthy of some recognition. There was a vast array of cars and a good turn out of Jr. Stockers. I wish I could've made it to Beaver Springs but to tell you all the truth-- I just (the car that is) wasn't ready-- need to update the rear and driveshaft. Good to hear everyone had fun and made it home safely. Until next time..... Dave.

15. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

It's no surprise but I had a ball this weekend. I was only able to get there Saturday but....I got a chance to talk to a few guys (and girls) I haven't talked to in 35+ years. Annie and Walt Toews, Al Olster, Carl Bennett, Jere Stahl, Larry Lombardo, "Super" Tom Larson (and Evelyn), and well, the list goes on. And to see Larry's Buckshot, the In Bomber (but AFB's??), and again, the list goes on, just adds icing to the cake. Yep, if the good Lord's willin' and the crick don't rise, I'll be back next year. (How's that for positive thinking?)

Skip Asay

16. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Skip - Help me ID some of these folks.

The people I know are: Bob Harrop ( jr. Stock?), George, Tom Larson, Walt & Ann, you, Larry, Dom, Gunnings, Tim Bishop, Al, Charlie Smith, Buck Wheatley, Dave Bishop, Dean.

Buck got excited when he saw a large photo of the car hauler on the York US 30 table and wanted to know where he could find a print. He felt a little stupid when he noticed a full page photo in the program! Buck took the photo over to Grump's table to share it with him and the Grump lived up to his name, totally uninterested!

Attached Files:

17. Juniorstocker

Juniorstocker

Had the time of my life both at York and the Beaver. Thanks to all who stopped to talk. Talking to these Juniorstock Legends, not in any order Crupi, Musser, Cureton, Asay, Lombardo, Toews(both), Wheatley,and the Gunning Bros.was a thrill of a liftime. I hope I didn't leave anyone out. Sharing their history is priceless. I could fill this page with excerpts from this weekend. Great meeting the owners of the Juniorstockers at York. Happy to see the cars there. Heckuva weekend!
    Trying to post pics from the Beaver, having trouble, will keep trying.

18. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Wished I coulda been there!! White Power is note quite finished. Its in the paint booth today. It should be done and at the Olds fest at Norwalk next sunday! I WILL be at York next year -- as Skip said - "God willing and the crick dont rise"!!

19. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Kenny Not "G",
    On the 61' Corvette 283/270HP engine.
    9.5-1 compression
    Duntov #097 solid lifter camshaft .394/.400 lift w/263/267 duration (228/230 @ .050 lift)
    110 degree lobe separation. (Valve lash .012/.018)
    Valve springs;(#3911068) 80# with valve closed @ 1.70" / 200# with valve open @ 1.25"
    Dual-carb aluminum intake (Part #3739653) with the unique butterfly-shaped opening
    linking one primary with one secondary on each carb-base.
    Dual Carter #2626 WCFB's (1 5/16" primary & secondary)
    Factory rated at 385cfm, but properly tuned could flow at around 425 cfm.
    *Almost like putting on a Holley 800 double-pumper.
    Cylinder heads; #3767460 castings with 1.74 intake and 1.50 exhaust.
    Runners; Intake 140cc / Exhaust 60cc
    Combustion chambers around 60cc, but could be milled approximately .030
    to get them to NHRA legal 55.7cc.
    And the #1110891 dual-point distributor.
    This car combo;
    1965 C/S (Springnationals and Indy Nationals Class Winner)
    1966 D/S (Springnationals and Indy Nationals Class Winner)
    (Runner-Up Indy Nationals Stock Eliminator)
    (Set National Record 12.78; August 66')
    1967 C/S (Indy Nationals Class Winner and National Record Holder)
    1968 F/S (Indy Nationals Class Winner and National Record Holder)
    (Won Indy Nationals Stock Eliminator) (Won Super/Stock Magazine Nationals)
    1969 G/S
    1970 H/S
    PC

Note; Not sure if this story is true or not. But supposedly, Dodge built the 1966 D-Dart for the 66' Springnationals to compete against these cars in D/Stock. It was supposedly as a result, of getting their clocks cleaned in C/Stock in 1965, with the 1965 383/330HP Plymouth Satellite's and Dodge Coronet 500's, or the miserable results in 1966 at the 66' Winternationals and early points meets with the new style 1966 383/325HP Plymouth Satellite's and/or Dodge Coronets in D/S.
    Don't know if it was the Musser Bros. who embarassed the factory-sponsored cars at the 65' Springnationals and 65' Indy Nationals in C/Stock, or 66' Winternationals in D/Stock.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  20. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

...so would it be premature to set another meeting for NEXT year at 1:00PM Saturday in the lobby under the Hobby Horse?? I can think of 100 things to discuss already ............

21. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Kenny Not "G",
    Found out, The Genaro's ran a 66' Satellite 383/325HP out of Massena, New York, area. Northeastern upstate area of New York State, near the St. Lawrence River
    Sponsored by a St. Lawrence County Chrysler-Plymouth dealership with factory support.
    A 4-speed hardtop, Turquiose color with black vinyl-top.
    Ran D/Stock in 66', and C/Stock in 67'. For some reason, the factory would not let them convert to a Torque-Flite automatic transmission, where they would have been more competitive. They wanted them to run the 4-speed only. They got stuck in the 13.50 range, and they finally gave up on the 383 mid-way through 1967. They were supposedly denied a Super/Stock Hemi Cuda for 1968, because of that. Interesting!
    PC

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  22. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Sounds like a good idea to me.....If Im still breathing next year.:)

23. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Where were you when the group photo was taken around 3:30?

24. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

In front on one knee with the 1st Air Cav. hat on.

25. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Would someone post pictures of the participants with captions for those of us on the West Coast who find it difficult to make it to the East Coast for the event I have not seen some of these people in over 40 years ( I was there in spirit ) Thank you in advance...

26. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

SR,
    In 1968 the 12.00-12.49 wth/hp bracket was I/Stock.
    In 1969, that weight bracket was J/Stock.
    You would find the 1966 Biscayne 327/275HP in that class.
    I think the cars weight was #3430, and it was at the high end of the bracket
    12.47 wt/hp. Still a good car and good 327/275HP maintenance-free engine.
    The major differences between the 66' Biscayne and 65' Biscayne.
    The 66' Biscaynes were about 90 lbs. lighter than the 65's.
    The 66' cars had the long and thin rectangular-shaped tail-light assembly units.
    The 65' cars had the "Cool" (2) round light tail-light assembly units.

The 66' base-engine was a 283/220HP. The base-'performance' engine was the
    327/275HP with 10.25-1 compression, #461 casting heads 1.94/1.50 valves,
    .399/.399 hydraulic camshaft, a cast iron intake manifold
    with a Holley #4160 square bore (1.50/1.50) #3123 (550cfm) single-feed, vacuum secondary carburetor.
    No other 327 engines were available on the Biscayne in 1966.

The other general cars that competed in that class.
    1968 Buick GS350 350/280HP
    1967 Pontiac Firebird (convertible) 326/285HP
    1957 Chevy BelAir (coupe) 283/270HP
    1957 Chevy 210 2-Door Sedan 283/270HP
    * Take a guess who dominated?
    PC

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  27. BadNews

BadNews

Paul,
    I had a 1966 Biscayne. It ran I/Stock with the 327-275 h.p. engine. I think the carb on mine was a Rochester Q-jet, not a Holley. The heads were the small 1.94 Camel hump 461 heads. I ran a 4 speed Muncie M-21 with a 2.54 (?) first gear, and 4.88's in the rear. The shipping weight with the small blocks (I believe) was 3,445. It could run O/Stock with the 283-220 h.p., also.
    I finished a 427-425 Junior Stocker clone for NMCA. It was runner up at the first event this year in Bradenton. I drove it to and from the track.
    I took out Doug Duell's "Drag'n Wag'n" (last years champ) in the second round. I had a blast! In strret trim I ran a best of 11.639 at 114.10 mph
    through the street exhaust and on street radials.
    While not "class legal" by a long shot (pump gas 468, oval port Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and intake, 850 carb, and a TH-400 trans)
    , it's more closely related to a 427-390 h.p. E/SA on steroids. I wanted to be able to drive it on the street, show it on occasion and race it at the nostalgia events. While I'm not bangin' a 4 spped anymore, I'm also not breakin' anything.
    I love this thread! Wish I could have made York, but my Mom just got out of the hospital and had things to attend to. I would have loved to had my NSS there.

28. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

BadNews,
    I think it was an either / or on the carburetor and intake.
    Some came through with the square bore intake 1.50" primary/1.50" secondary,
    with the Holley (550cfm) #4160.
    Others came through with the #3875954 spread-bore type intake 1.375" primary/
    2.250" secondary, with the #7026203 4MV Rochester Quadra-Jet. Not sure on the exact cfm rating, but probably closer to 700cfm.
    I'm wondering, did you have trouble with those 57' 283/270HP Dual-quad Chevy's also.
    Those cars kept my buddy pinned down, for two years (50 wasted Sundays without a
    Class trophy, in 1968 and 1969).
    My buddy ran his 4-speed with 4.56 gears. Ran 14.10's. But the 57' Chevy's (two of them)
    were running 13.50's in 68'/69'.

29. BadNews

BadNews

I ran class trophy - not the bucks class. That's where most of the more serious cars ran out of Truppi's shop. It was later than the 69 ..... ran 13.00's with 7" M&H's and 13.30's on H-78 X 14 bias ply street tires, but you had to slip the clutch and roll into the launch. With the slicks, you dumped the clutch at 5,500 rpm,s and shifted at 7,000, going thru the traps at 7,200, if the grey matter serves me well. I drove it on the street, drove it to the track, put on the slicks and had a blast. I won almost every class trophy for class. I never knew to stick around and run the trophy eliminators for all the class tophy winners. What a moron! I was happy with my class winner decal and 3 foot trophy! Those were the days! Now when I run, if I don't win at least enough to cover expenses for the weekend, I'm depressed. Still beats anything else. I don't bracket race much, just at the nostalgia races.

30. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

BadNews,
    Thats when drag racing was fun. Class trophy with a marble base, and class winner decal, and home by 6:00 PM. Maybe spend about $25 in total.
    Still have visions of my friend punching the Biscayne's dashboard while driving down the track, getting beat by the 57's.
    His engine was completely stock, with about 25,000 miles on it. Just added the 4.56 gears, Hooker headers, Hurst shifter, a heavy-duty clutch package and S-W electric fuel pump, and 7" M & H slicks. Basic standard bolt-on late 60's performance stuff. Realized, the only way to win was a performance rebuild. He didn't do it, as he didn't have the
    $400 or so. He continued on, still getting beat, but enjoyed racing.
    PC

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010