Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help figuring out shift arms Super T-10

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49coupe, Jul 11, 2010.

1. 49coupe

49coupe

I'm trying to work out the shift arms to put a 4 speed on the column in my '49 Ford and need some help with figuring out the shift arms.

1. On the transmission, which arms are 1/2 and 3/4 and in what position?
    2. There doesn't seem to be as much throw on the newer 4 speed than the old 3 speed. Will it matter, or should I lengthen the arm so to increase the throw?

Thanks

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Looking at the side of the transmission, the front shift arm is 3-4 and the next one back is 1-2. With the arms mounted so they stick up above the stud, they move the opposite of what a floor shifter does, i.e. 3 is back and 4 is forward.

3. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

3/4 is the front arm , 1/2 is the middle , reverse is the rear..
    Leaving the arms short just means the lever on the colum will travel less distance to shift...
    How are you planning to shift reverse?
    Dave

4. Umm, yeah, you need a third shift gate and arm on the column to get 4 forward speeds and reverse...:confused:

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I think the "geometry" needs to be right on to get things to work properly. The levers on the trans should have the same lenth-in-arc, or +/- "1/2" the lenth of that at the shifter. As far as the levers at the trans being up or down, just guessing, I would say down, as that's probably how the old 3-speed was. (I think). Be sure you do a post after getting it all worked out and operating. Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. 49coupe

49coupe

Thanks guys.

It makes sense if you think of a floor shift rod set-up first. So with the levers sticking up 1 is forward, 2nd is back. Since I have the run the arm down, it will be the opposite.

I plan on adapting the original overdrive cable to work reverse or put a lever on the floor. I'll post some pictures if I can work this out.