Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welding for the first time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53kemper, Jul 9, 2010.

1. 48thames

48thames
    from so cal

Not trying to high jack this thread, but It was mentioned in this thread that if the weld doesn't look right,they would grind it back down and reweld it. I asked about this before in different forums and was given a couple different answers. Some say big no no because you weaken the metal around it, and I have also heard that you can grind and reweld more then once on mild steel with no problems.
    With all the great welders on this thread,thought I would throw this question out there.

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. 53kemper

53kemper

Put .35 wire on and practiced yesterday. I was able to slow down and get really nice bead with good penetration. I adjusted my gas a little and it seemed to help alot. Once I was able to fine tune the machine I was laying some very nice welds. Feeling alot better now. Thanks for all the help guys. I plan on practicing everyday.

4. flatheadfreakv8

flatheadfreakv8

i would switch to .30 or .35 wire. Remember practice makes perfect.

5. Totally agree with exwestracer. When you practice, make sure you can watch what the "puddle" is doing. You will learn to see if it undercuts, builds, the pattern of your "weave" by looking at what is happening with the puddle.
    Go slow when practicing, do "the miles" and you will be on your game.
    Good on you for sharing what you have done and for be willing to continue learning. My 2 cents.
    Bryan

6. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Welds 1 and 2 look OK, welds 3 and 4 look like you did not have good heat, you did not have good penetration, clean them and do a hot stitch pass over that first bead, slow down and get a good puddle going. If you can run a pass on the reverse side of those parts please do. Thanks.