Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1932 Fords built MISSING 3-6 Inches of the body.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jul 10, 2010.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Besided "The Beach Boy's Coupe" what other '32's were built from cars missing 3-6 inches on the bottom back in the day? :confused:

2. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Any that were channeled.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, I have a lead on an old channeled 5Window that is why I started the post. Just wonder if it could look good missing the bottom.:rolleyes:

4. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

My answer would be no, but they do make all of the patch panels that you would need to fix the bottom 3-6 inches.

But I'm a bit confused, channeled just means that the floor has been raised up into the body, I'm not sure why a channeled car would be missing the bottom six inches of sheet metal.

5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

.....dont do it!.............build the bottom back!....... ,the "beach boys" coupe looked much better before beach boys..., before they made it "better" by cutting the lower 8" off the body

6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

see

Attached Files:

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I agree bringing it back stock is the way to go, just wondering if anyone turned out something nice with a trimmed bottom. Haven't seen the body in question, just told the bottom was rough and was trimed off for ease of storage.

8. F&J

F&J

It won't look right at all...

With the parts available as well as mig welders etc, there is no reason to not put it back.

Yes I'm east coast where all the bellys were hacked out rather than doing a chop, but I only like highboy 32s.. I don't care for the old east coast style.

9. What! Another project to keep you from finishing the Lyndwood?

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I disagree, Chilli Catallo's Silver Sappfire wouldn't be the same if it was put back.
    I think the current restoration is perfect

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Lyndwood just needs the SBC assembled and Argon injection rebuilt. I'd rather do body work.:D

12. F&J

F&J

We are not on the same page :) Yes on Chili's coupe, just like any famous "show rod"....but I thought we were talking a typical traditional style hot rod build, not a new show rod that could have been built long ago.

It's mega dollars to do the show rod build, just to work around the missing lower body, for one big reason...chrome. Everything needs to be chromed to pull off a Chili build or any show rod like the Ala Kart. So, it's cost prohibitive. Cheaper to add the body panels and build a hot rod.

Build it as a hot rod with missing lower body, and you get... a junky looking car in my opinion.

13. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I agree don't most of us replace the lower 3-6 with patch panels. I know I did and all I have is a 34 pickup. If i was ever in the the position to own a deuce 5 window. I think I would put the patch panels in.

14. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I've posted this picture a bazillion times here, and yes I know it's not a '32 Ford

but I chopped several inches off the bottom of this coupe and I still think it works,

the trick is to keep the ratio of body to greenhouse somewhere close to the golden ratio

[​IMG]

15. The way to go about it is to section it...not cut the bottom off...:rolleyes:

16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

so true, now let's hear what people think about sectioned '32s :D

17. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

A LOT of dirt track cars had the bottom cut off.... you could always build a race car out of it!

18. F&J

F&J

he,he... I was just thinking about the late Tom McMullen's magazine project build from 30-plus years ago... a 32 Ford 4 door, full fendered, chopped, channeled, and sectioned.

It didn't look too good :confused:

that's the polite term.

19. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

This one had the lower edge bent up and the channel part of the floor attached to it..... If I keep it I will repair it with patch panels, but it really doesnt look too bad, considering....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Paul

Paul
    Editor

jeeze Bob, where do you keep coming up with all this cool shit?

21. kisam

kisam

I have seen one recently, missing about 3-4 inches. The original floor was still in it and raised. Supposedly had some race history? I was thinking circle track?

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Bob, that car can be a super killer, just don't chop it. If you do make it 2" or less. Anything more and it will look squashed. Besides you can have fun telling everyone that your have a New England car that was built in Texas. This one has a lot of potential if expreme restraint is used from here on.

Frank

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks! As I read your reply I just remembered a full fendered '32 5window that is channeled. I saw it at the Road Agents meet a few years ago. :rolleyes:

24. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I remember about 3 years ago seeing a black chopped Deuce 3 window with the bottom trimmed off It was at the Mooneyes shop and was black with yellow stripe and Mooneyes logo on it. Maybe someone has a picture of it. ( This was a different car than the yellow Moon coupe)