Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help rewired from Ammeter to Volt Meter.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod34, Jul 9, 2010.

1. hotrod34

hotrod34

I installed a gm 3 wire and a volt meter from a Ford externally regulated alt. I dont have any power to my dash, radio, fuel pump, ect...

So here is my question. An ammeter is has current flowing through it so any other wires that were on the poles would need to be hooked up to the positive side of the volt meter, correct?

2. choptop37

choptop37

correct, most old stuff used one side of the amp guage to power inside stuff, pretty handy power point.

3. hotrod34

hotrod34

Thanks for the quick response. You are correct, I took all the wires and moved them to the positive and i grounded the gauge and it worked. Now my question in can/should i really be powering the whole car via volt meter. I have 7 wires going in to the back of it.

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All a voltmeter needs is a ground, and another wire to the main terminal where you are distributing power from. These wires can be small gauge wires, since the current required to deflect the needle of a voltmeter is very, very small. In cars with ammeters that main terminal where power is distributed from is typically one side of the ammeter. With a voltmeter it can be anywhere. Ignition switch, starter solenoid, fuse block, are all options. That said, there is no reason you cannot do it the way you have, it's a workable alternative.

5. hotrod34

hotrod34

thank you for the help. Should be driving the car this afternoon.