Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Douglas DC-3's in Rock Falls ILL.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Torkwrench, May 6, 2010.

1. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The first C-47 flew into the airport on Thursday. Only 2 weeks left to go. For more info and pics check the Dixon Evening Telegraph at www.saukvalley.com .

3. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

The C-46 was NOT a prototype to the C-47. The C-46 was built by Curtiss-Wright. C-47s / DC-3s were Douglas Aircraft Co. airplanes. In fact, the C-46 prototype didn't first fly until March 26, 1940, several years after DC-3s were already makin' money for the airlines. C-46 is also a larger aircraft than C-47. DD[​IMG]

4. There is one on display in the Ford Musem in Detriot. The sign said it had been the air over 9 years as I remember

5. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

COOPMAN; I Stand Corrected ,,,,Neet How this Site Teaches Us Sumthin' New EveryDay ,,Thanks For The Correction ,,all these years I was Mis Informed ,,

6. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

COOPMAN: When i was in Alaska ,,in the '60's ,,there was an Air Freight Outfit up there ,,Shulton & Carlson Air Freight ,,that had TWO C-82's ,,they told me They Were Proto Types for the C-119 ,,in your good research ,,is THAT True ??? or was i mis informed there too ???
    thanks ,,

7. Got to fly in the DC-3 quite a few times in the 70's, it was one of the main air transports between Miami and Key West at the time.

Mike

8. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

I got to fly the DC from Denver to Billings a few times. Frontier Air Lines in the late 50's. Then when in the Navy I flew from Tachacow Japan and island hoped to Clark AFB in 1964 slign seats facing backwards. no AC and on the ground with dress blues it was near death. But a great air plane and it got us there. Later in the 60's I flew Trans Texas or tree top airlines, 3's landing at every thing big enough to hold us.

9. belair

belair

I was in the Virgin Islands (St. Thomas ) 2 yrs ago. We were right by the airport and a Goony bird flew in and out at least twice a day.

10. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

The best ride I had was from Miami to Key West in the late '80s on a PBA DC3. Nothing like a pair of radials at 7500'. Low and slow over the Keys.

11. Curtiss C-46 Camando in this one. ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDIYyaGSU5U

12. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

The best ride I had was from Miami to Key West in the late '80s on a PBA DC3. Nothing like a pair of radials at 7500'. Low and slow over the Keys.

13. Benning or Bragg ALL THE WAY!!!

14. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

mctim64; Great Video !! in '68 ,,in Alaska ,,a customer of my Union 76 Gas Station i refueled several times with Military 115/145 gave me a couple rides in his B-25 ,,plus ,,Col Rogers at the A F BASE had me help with his P-51 ,,"The Pink Lady" ,named after the Bomber He Flew in WW II ,,those are ALL great Aircraft ,,
    thanks ,,

15. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

My Good Friend here ,,Eric ,,and his brother restored this Awesome B-25 several years ago ,,has sold it since ,,i won't mention that EFI 502 BB / 6 speed Camaro Canyon Racer ,,lol,,
    [​IMG]

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Useless trivia - the C46 and C47 were 2 of the 3 planes that flew in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam....anyone know the 3rd? ;)

17. Grumbler

Grumbler

On History channel in Canada theres a reality show called Ice Pilots about Buffalo Airways based out of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. I find it kind of hokey and forced but if you like classic airplanes its pretty good. They have DC 3's, DC 4's, C 46's and Electras. The hangars more like an aviation museum. Up north they still can't be beat for what they haul in the conditions they do. I used to love starting the engines, it was/is an art. It took three or four seperate steps after the starter was engaged to fire them up in a beautful huge belch of raw oil smoke that kept coming for a minute or so until they felt like running. A third hand would have made the procedure much easier.
    Nowadays.... initiate the start sequence by selecting the engine, push in the start switch and sit back and let the digital boxes do their thing.
    I kind of miss the old girl, although I don't miss being filthy from head to toe....

http://www.icepilots.com/

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

In 1968 I got to ride in one. It was my first day in the Navy and I was scared shitless...then I had to get on my first plane. I flew commercial to New Orleans and then the DC-3 hop over to Gulfport Miss. It feels weird entering the rear door and actually having to climb the hill of an aisle with the tail on the ground.

About a 8 months later I got to see what "Puff the magic dragon" could do in Viet Nam. That's the nick name they gave the specially outfitted C-47 that they used. It had 3 Gatlin guns mounted on it. Each one had 6 rotating barrels firing 7.62 rounds. Every 6th round was a tracer that glowed red when it was shot. We heard it come over and circle one night. It was NOT high altitude bombing. It was low level strafing. Damn that thing was impressive when he fired it... 3 bright red streams of lead into the ground. They claimed each one could put a round in every sq ft of a football field with one 10 second burst. I was glad that it wasn't shooting our way.

I'd love to see and hear them all together in formation. It has to look like DDAY. I'm sure I'd get goosebumps.

19. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

This one is hangared where I work when it's not out for one of the shows.
    The Flagship Knoxville is in the AA museum in Fort Worth and the Flagship Tulsa is being restored by the Tulsa Air and Space Museum.

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OJNTEx3AN_4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OJNTEx3AN_4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?rel=0&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Tim

20. belair

belair

Maybe the Skyraider, but I don't think it got in WWII. Corsair didn't make it to Vietnam...but I just had a brain wave-is it the B-26 or A-20?

21. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Didn't the C-119 "Flying Box Car" Fly in all three Wars ,,???

22. jpbanjo

jpbanjo
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Here's one for all you old Ford fans from a May 1940 Life magazine ad. This was back when flight attendants were stewardesses and pilots (according to Ford) stepped from the cockpit of their DC-3 and into a '40 De Luxe Fordor (with wide whites no less) to head for home.
    For the statistically minded, Douglas built over 10.000 wartime C-47's but less then 400 of the commercial DC-3's shown here. They are kind of like Deuce roadsters among all those other '32 Fords. I was part of the team here in Tulsa that restored the Flagship Knoxville DC-3, now in the American Airlines museum down in Dallas, a truly fun project for an old car guy.

[​IMG]

23. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Flat Ernie :: C-46 ,,C-47 ,,and ??? What's the answer ???

24. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

There's a C-47 ,,two A-8;s and a P-51 based at the New Branson Airport ,,they were based at the Collage Of The Ozarks Airport in Hollister/Branson ,MO ,untill they decided to close that littlte air strip ,,,they put on a Air Show every year during all the Holidays ,,Neet to see em flying low over Table Rock Lake ,,

25. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

The C-119G "Shadow" GunShip used in Veitnam ,,the C-119 Flew Paratroopers behind enemy lines in WW Ii and Cargo in Korea ,,
    [​IMG]

26. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

NOPE; I'm Wrong ,,the C-119 was developed from the WW II C-82 and came out in 1947 ,,??? so ,what is the THIRD plane used in all Three Wars ????

27. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

AH !! The C-54 ,,came out in '42 ,,was used as a companion GunShip to the C-47 in Veitnam ,
    [​IMG]

28. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

29. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

YEP; the Douglas B-26K ( A-26A ) ,looks like there was more than just three used in all three Wars ,,
    [​IMG]

30. belair

belair