Register now to get rid of these ads!

making the brake pedal mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rabidcustoms, Jul 10, 2010.

1. rabidcustoms

rabidcustoms
    from Iowa

I'm in the process of making the mounts for the pedal assembly, I have the upper part done that holds the pedal, I'm wondering if 12 ga. (.104 thick) will be ok to use for the re-enforcement where the master cyl bolts to? (if this make any sence from what I'm doing verses trying to say)

the 12 ga. would be welded to the upper bracket which will stiffen things up, and I can alway add a couple of gussets?....

I figure its probably ok,...but I'd rather overbuild and be safe. any suggestions, or comments?

2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Too thin. Wow,you think thats "overbuilding" it?

3. rabidcustoms

rabidcustoms
    from Iowa

no, I dont think 12 ga. is over building, thats why I said "I'd rather overbuild it"...

the upper bracket will be welded to the plate and only extend down approx 2.5" and this is all right on the firewall so add another how ever much sandwiched in there.

I was thinking 1/8" plate to begin with... but thats only another .020 so what would be a good thickness ?

1/4'"?

4. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Im not sure I can picture exactly what you are building. Can you clarify with a pic or something? My previous comment assumed too much perhaps?

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Your mounting the one thing that has to work when all else fails. I mount masters on 1/4" plate, and put a nose support on the other end.

Yeah, overbuilt. Never had one fail.

6. maniac

maniac

I agree, nothing less than 1/4", depending on the pedal length there is a lot of leverage on that bracket.

7. rabidcustoms

rabidcustoms
    from Iowa

Thanks Jay! that was what the voice in the back of my head was telling me, but I wanted to make sure ;)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  8. rabidcustoms

rabidcustoms
    from Iowa

well, I found a scrap piece of 1/8" plate and stuck it in the vice just for reference to see how much give there was just with my hand,.... yep,....1/4 it is,.... but none on hand, and no place open in town to get it on a Sunday so no more work on that til tomarrow :(

even with the 1/4 I believe I'll add a couple of gussets ,I'm a firm believer in overkill.