Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats better, Dazed and Confused or Two Lane Blacktop??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motorhead711, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

GTO is crazy, and in the end he claims he built the 55 and won the GTO...the ultimate gold chainer if you follow that logic LOL.

I can't be bothered to read anymore into the movie...it makes my head hurt.

I can't stand James Taylor in it...he is just not a leading man to me.

You want a leading man in a car movie, watch James Garner in Grand Prix. One cool cat with some sharp threads driving a Hertz Shelby GT350 around Europe between races...that rocks.

2. thesupersized

thesupersized

2 lane blacktop is a terrible movie in my opinion...dazed and confused is great on the other hand. american graffiti is of course good, along with christine,

i think my favorite chase scene is from Steve McQueen's "Bullitt"

3. It's a close one, but I graduated in 1979 and Dazed and Confused reminded me so much of my high school years (except for the hazing of freshmen).

4. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Every once in a while a movie, book, or song pops up that totally and completely sucks... but you have to pretend to like it or risk being labeled as one of those people who supposedly "just doesn't get it".

Two Lane Blacktop is one of those movies. Car stuff aside. The movie sucked ad was incredibly boring... but I just don't get it.

5. Kerry67

Kerry67

As far as MOVIES, I like Dazed better. At least that had a decent plot & acting etc....Cool cars as well. As for TLB, Dennis Wilson & James Taylor were not the best actors (as you can tell by their stellar acting career that followed), but again, the cars & race scenes were cool. Both are worth having in your collection.

6. "what are you trying to do blow my mind!?!"

7. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I wasn't going to respond to this thread because I'm a big fan of both movies but it does seem kinda strange to compare a "message" movie like BlackTop to a comedy like D & C. Its' kinda like comparing The Godfather to Blazing Saddles.......sure, there're both great but are really different movies.

8. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Dazed and Confused is a better movie as far as story/acting IMO, but I love the 55 in Two Lane Blacktop.

I'm thinking of making a Melba Toast (black 70 in dazed) clone. Not that hard, basically just a stock 70 chevelle SS.

9. Brahm

Brahm

As much as I wanted to like Two Lane Blacktop, it was painful to watch.. one of those "I can't get to sleep let me toss this is sorta of movie"

Last American Hero, is my all time favorite car movie... I mean come on it has the Big Lawboski in it.

10. ruckusryan

ruckusryan
    from Canada

Just Gotta Keep Livin Man L.I.V.I.N!!!!!!

Days and Confused hands down!! Two lane is a bad acid trip!!

11. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

If this had actually been in the seventies the building in the background -Team C - would have been one of a long gone chain of speedshops - American High Performance....

12. So weird, I am surfing the channels right now and low and behold " Dazed and Confused " is on VH1 right now.

CBB

13. "Its' kinda like comparing The Godfather to Blazing Saddles.......sure, there're both great but are really different movies." stlouisgasser

Now that is a OT movie but one of the most politicaly incorrect movies made in recent years! "The new sherriff, he's a Bong-bong-bong"

14. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

TWO LANE SUCKED BAD ! and will never ever get better with age !!!!!!!! what a piece of shit movie !!!!!!!!!!
    D&C is awesome. of course everyone hates to see that car with the iroc wheels, but other than thatit was a smokin good time !
    when i first stared to hear about TLB i was so excited to watch it. it was like when i bought a brand new lionel train a couple years ago. i got home , set up a plywood table , open the box and the train said made in china ! i almost puked. needless to say i still have a brand new train i wont use LOL
    AG and MORE AG
    HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS
    HOT RODS TO HELL
    THE 7 UPS
    RETURN TO MACON COUNTY
    HEART LIKE A WHEEL
    SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT
    MOONRUNNERS
    CORVETTE SUMMER
    VANISHING POINT
    GRINDHOUSE
    CANNONBALL RUN
    DIRTY MARY CRAZY LARRY
    THE BLUES BROTHERS
    WHITE LIGHTENING
    EAT MY DUST
    CHRISTINE
    COBRA
    GREASED LIGHTENING
    OH hell even herbie the lovebug was better than TLB lol

15. For me, TLB was never about the people, the drama, or the "read-into-messages", it was about the car, street racing, and the reality of it. If you can't get that, you should probably take up sailing, knitting, or golf. TLB is a gearhead movie. It's that simple. The actors were like us, not a lot to say unless it was important, ie: "We need some bread so I can check the rearend"....
    In my opinion, the movie woulda been better without the Girl....

16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

"joe dirt" hahaha

i like all of them and i have most of the car guy movies and am always looking for more...

17. American Grafitti II if you really are into the drag race stuff. Great footage at the track.

18. BISHOP

BISHOP

For years all I heard was how awesome TLB was. What a let down. That movie sux.

19. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

hot rods to hell is on tcm at 3:15 am
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mimsy
    if i remember right, i think the vette has RADIRS

20. Mooseman

Mooseman

Its interesting to see what people like and don't like in these kinds of films it seems alot has to do with what era they grew up in and how they lived their life.

21. Scumdog

Scumdog

Yep, loved Blazing Saddles for it's un-PC-ness.:D

22. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

Dirty Larry crazy Mary

23. I prefer American Graffiti for the cars but Dazed & Confused was filmed here in Austin and I really enjoy seeing the way this place used to look before the boom when it became a city. I still go to the drive in that is in the movie (called Top Notch) for a burger a couple of times a year and it still looks just like it did 35 years ago when I first went there. Sometimes no change is a good thing. That place is perfect when a few hot rods show up.

24. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Funny this should come up as a topic. I just saw Bullitt and American Graffiti here in town on film on the big screen, in a theatre. I took two of my younger friends with me that thought Death Proof was great (now that movie was a boring turd - I watched almost the whole thing on fast forward.) As far as Two Lane Blacktop goes - it's a period piece and really representative of the time when it was made. I don't ever watch car movies for plot (except A G) just for cars. Don't mean to offend, but I watched almost all of Hollywood Knights on fast forward too. Film is subjective like any other kind of art. It's so open to personal interpretation that you can't really rank it as good or bad for anyone other than yourself.

25. swblandy

swblandy
    from scotland

Has anyone got a link for downloading two lane blacktop I can't seem to find one

26. stevez

stevez
    from nj

DEATHPROOF!! Gotta love K Russell.:D

Then D&C....."Melba Toast", gotta love Matt McCon:cool:

27. Jakester276

Jakester276
    from Modesto CA

Dazed and Confused for sure awesome cars and great music. Plus there is some funny ass lines in there to..

28. swblandy

swblandy
    from scotland

just watched the knights movie some awsome cars in there , love the cobra in it. but bullit gets my vote for best movie that stang is just perfection

29. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

What he said .......:D:p:p:p

30. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO