Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inspired by Ed Roth, Plowboy and Racerdad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steelsmith, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Thanks James D- If it can be tied in with that whole wheel arch area as you've shown (which I think looks perfect) then yeh.
    That rear end fascia in my pic is unresolved & raw. I may have a go at it some more. At the moment I'm diggin stock tailights and perhaps other factory details.
    Some scaled down, chromed Stingray bumpers could be potentially amazing. Drilled on the fangs. A good set of nerfs or a pushbar could make a very good alternative.

2. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Hi Spoggie! Nice to meet you, that is another step closer to what, 'I have in mind'! Thanks for the artwork/contribution!

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

3. Probably not what you want as far as staggered but I couldn't resist posting this one. :)

Attached Files:

4. And some custom T-bird scoopage...maybe too custom? Maybe not.

Attached Files:

5. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Ye-ah ...I'd agree, those two were over the top! Ha

I'm trying to stay away from that kind of design!

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

6. Yeah...WOW! Can't say why, but the whole window thing suddenly makes sense in that drawing.

7. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Exwestracer, I agree spoggie lent credence to the reverse angled back window idea. Early on Al and I talked about reusing the little rear side windows , just flipped upside-down. I figured it would be too hard to explain, better left to an actual mockup when I got to the roof ...

Some things, I find I just can't draw an accurate word-picture, that does the idea's justice.

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

8. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Hi guys, just posting to let you know, my computer has been infected by a virus! It's 'down' until I can have it fixed and purchase better virus protection. That means no more pictures for a while. Sorry for that. I'm on my wifes computer and it's really slow and uses a floppy for pictures! ha Ancient technology but she doesn't use a lot of pictures just really detailed ones. I will use her system to post, but pic's will be down to a minimum.

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

9. jeffh355

jeffh355

NOOOOOOO, we need pictures!!!! Maybe we need to start a Steelsmith computer fund!!! :)

10. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

USB memory stick + county Library = Happy HAMBers :)

11. Just a thought- Roadster?.. I'm thinking of SR2 vette- like pods, with headrests. Hide a roll hoop by running wing strut- shaped mild between & thru the rests. Add rigidity to the structure by widening it out to the door jamb area.
    Even having just one pod, with a tarp, would look pretty nuts.

12. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Spoggie, a removable hardtop is within reason. One or more interchangable deck lids could be formed with twin pods or one pod incorporated into the shape, again possibilities ...

What do you see for the hood shape? So far I don't have anything that really grabs me ... Due to the tapering height of the fenders I may have to do something like the induction hood from a '69 Camaro, just to clear the radiator/aircleaner. Any thoughts regarding such a 'newer' shape, (post '65) on a circa '61 car style and how that could be incorporated into the design?

Just me thinkin' out loud ...
    Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

13. James Ds photoshop of the front got me thinking about the old Grand Sport Vettes. The solid body line across the front edge echoes the fender shape. So imagine this narrowed for open wheels. And it's "period correct"... It's a little busy, but the overall shape might work. Sorry for the giant pic.
    [​IMG]

14. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Exwestracer, it's an interesting idea. Kind of lends itself to the seperate hood and header panel concept that we've already borrowed from the 'Vette's. Might have to look into other 'Vette hood treatments that complement the overall design. Maybe a blending of multiple designs ...?

Thanks for the thought, I'll have to give that one some time to mature.

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

15. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

I really like Your build, and like the fender all the way to the front, while building My 60 Camino turned fenderless rod some people posted some photo shopped pix with My fenders going full length, I did like the look but not for Mine, looks great with Your design. I know how much labor is involved doing this stuff, keep up the great work. Von Doc

16. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

DocFrankenstein, your El Camino build was also an inspiration for me. It just seemed so 'Ed Roth' in it's proportions! Very cool! I'm hoping to be able to do some work on it soon and post the results. I'm still limited to using my wife's computer and 'Mavica' floppy disc camera. Ha Just glad to have them, computer, camera and wife!

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

17. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

OK, yes, it has been a while since I've had any new progress to post about. For me, some times I have to take a break from a project to let the ideas percolate/ferment/fester! That has been the case for the Cutlass.

Today I spent several hours mapping out the steps to gaining a more complete body using the parts I have at hand. I later asked my bud' Al to come over and act as a sounding board.

Together we went over the 3 pages of notes I'd come up with. I'm sure Al feels a bit overwhelmed when I do this to him, but he's always 'game' to play along while I brainstorm with him. He'll go home with his head spinning and think about what he's seen and what I've tried to explain to him about where parts go and how I will go about building them. After a few days he'll come back over and ask for clairification or bring up any concerns that have occured to him. This works well for me, it's like studying for a pop quiz. I intimately know the material and am more than willing to share detals about what I intend to build. Al's looking for any oversights on my part or areas that haven't been fully planned. Talking it through with Al helps me to solidify the concepts in my own mind and some times the details resolve themselves as we talk. (Yes, I do take notes as we discuss the build for anything that needs more attention).

Right now, to this point I have a fairly complete map for continuing the build to the point of having a complete body, less roof. The roof will be easier to plan after I get the rest of the build completed.

I probably won't make any postable picture progress until after the weekend. That may be somewhat limited by the triple digit heat we are expecting both Saturday and Sunday.

So stay tuned, I should have some new pic's up next week!

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

18. wow, just found this. ilove it. aint we lucky to have guys like James D and spoggie.

19. Babyearl

Babyearl

I found this thread about 8 pages back ,, lost it and found it again this evening. I read it clear through tonight. Steelsmith, you have a knack of putting words into vision,, I too was a tad confused at first, but it finally came through to me about the same time I saw the James D photoshop,, I really like this build and all the input that all have contributed. This is by far a Great read, Thank You.

20. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

To all who have commented about the build, I'm glad you like it and share the vision! It's been fun so far and I intend to continue as inspiration, time and money allow. As most of you have noted, this is a low-bucks approach to a rather complex type of build. This kind of project can be accomplished by anybody with enough skills, time and ambition, without breaking the bank!

So far I've only spent $700 for the running/driving Cutlass, (no charge, for the bent unibody)! I've probably spent an additional $3-400 in new belts, hoses, gaskets, carburetor-kit, water pump and other misc stuff. My bill from Speedway was another $3-400 and included a lake-pipe header kit, (as pictured)! The new white-walls from Coker Tire and the sandblasted/powdercoated rims were about $1000 the priceyist item so far!

The 'bug' donor was $75, the MGB donor was taken in on trade and looks like it will be used on a different build, so no cost to this one.

That means to this point, I'm into this project about $2500 cash. I believe I can have it finished for an additional $2500, max. It may be quite a bit less. Part of how/why I'm able to get by so cheap is I have/had an accumulation of parts/materials which I am tapping now! This would include welding supplies and most of the steel needed. I still have some autobody supplies that can be used for this project that just seem to accumulate over the years.
    Yes, I said years. Most of this product is out of date. Before using any of it, I do a quick visual inspection if it looks good I do a test sample if that comes out alright, I'm going with it! Ha
    I have a decent supply of 'House of Kolor' product to use for final paint. This alone would be several hundred dollars ...

Last year I had to sell my upholstery machine. Fortunately, my buddy Al was the purchaser, so it's still in the 'Family'. We, (Al and I), plan on doing the interior for this project, so again not a lot of cash out of pocket.

So for anybody who's inspired to do a car build but lack financial assets with lots of zeros behind them, ths may be the build for you! Ha
    It's more a matter of continuing to get out there and do something. Even if it's not everyday, some times you need a break and there are other things that get in the way/need to be done. Just keep going back to the project. Keep a small note-pad handy, you never know when a great idea will hatch unexpectedly!

I'm planning on posting pic's next week, so c'mon back then!

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

21. HotRodMetal

HotRodMetal
    from USA

cool ride

22. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

So, Hotrodmetal, what is this truckster built out of?! If you have a bunch of the details of the build, you will need to compose your own build thread!
    A project like this deserves no less ...

Thanks for sharing!
    Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

23. fuzzface

fuzzface

If you are talking about the gold one that original patina posted is a late 60's to '73 ford pickup. I have a few of these around with the same idea floating in my head.

24. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Fuzzface, yes I was curious about what the original donor was for the Gold truckster. I think as time goes on this type of build will become more popular. The donors we are faced with are in worse shape, either that or less popular models are available. What better use of some of the more boatish/bulky cars than to cut them up and make them into something with some style!

I guess only time will tell ...
    Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

25. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

As I mentioned in an earlier post, (a few days ago) this weekend I'm working on cutting up the 'bug' which is so graciously donating it's windshield and firewall sections to the Cutlass. So far today I've just stripped out the moldering interior, (so it doesn't catch on fire) and deciding just how much of the 'bug' I want to keep.

I don't see any need for the floor, so that will remain intact. I'm thinking that I should cut behind the windshield by about a foot, more or less. The forward cut looks like it should be just in front of the firewall and behind the front suspension. I think that will leave the bug chassis as a 'roller' for easy scrapping.

Since pictures are now more difficult to come by, I won't bore you with pic's of the bug as it's being cut up.
    I will show what I end up saving and try to explain how I intend to use the section.

Until about 3:30 I've been working under the shade of some trees out by my shop, now the bug's in the sun. I may keep going for a while yet but it's mid 90's and it's getting uncomfortable!

I'll post more later ...

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

26. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Don
    With those VWs you can completely remove the body and it still rolls around. In fact there are only a few bolts that hold it on so if you wanted you could sell off the roller and keep all the body.

27. fuzzface

fuzzface

I should have thought about that. Yes, the vw body comes completely off by unbolting and you should only need a 13mm and a 17mm.

28. Not if its a Super Bug with a curved screen. The front end is strut and falls apart without the body.

29. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah my apologies if thats the case, never owned one of those late model bugs.

30. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Yup, it's a Super Beetle with curved windscreen, so I think it's going to be somewhat less than cooperative about moving after I'm done cutting! ha

It got too hot to finish yesterday, so it's not cut yet. I still have the headliner to remove, but that's about it. I'm hoping to use a couple of hours today to get the cutting done. I intend to leave the cuts long and trim off the excess, after I have the sections I need positioned right next to the Cutlass for comparison.

I've been doing some speculating while I've been removing the interior from the 'bug'. I'll be very interested to see how what 'I think' measures up with how things work in real-life. I hope you realize just how speculative all of this truely is ...!

Just in case you are wondering, yes, I have done some Major cut/blending projects in the past that I was unable to complete. I felt then as I do now, that I'd exceeded my skills/experience at that point in time. This project is more inline with my current level of experience, (which is always changing).
    For me I use these kinds of builds as training excercises. I don't do this kind of build for customers. They tend to think that if I start on something I should be able to finish it. Sometimes that isn't the case.

I do tend to push myself as far as what shaping projects I take on. Some of those are a real stretch for me, but still within my grasp. When I take on a shape I'm unfamiliar with or lack extensive experience forming, I try to let the customer know that I'm 'in over my head'. Most of the time they can't hear me! They want what they want and expect me to perform, on schedule! Ha, Arrgh!

Ah well, God Bless the customers! We all need'em!

As I see it, the only really tough metalshaping that I see looming on the horizon for this project is the backpanel corners that take the existing bodylines into a complete 'reverse curve'. The turn is about 95-100 degrees per side. This very smooth curve is to be executed in a fairly short span too, only about 3 feet overall. The curves become difficult because of the depth of the bodylines, which are about 3".
    I've been doing some work with reverse curves for the last year or so, but these will be venturing off into unexplored territory. Further complicating this shaping excersise is the fact that there are multiple reverse curves blending in concert to form each corner panel. I believe I'm up for the challenge, but we shall see ...

More deconstruction to come, before I have to tie into the backpanel corners. The entire body/cockpit and forward area, including the body to chassis interface will have to be solid before any weird metalshaping can be executed. I think that may be a while before I need to get too concerned/excited!

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith