Register now to get rid of these ads!

model a vin help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tripmotors, Jul 2, 2010.

1. tripmotors

tripmotors

Ok i talked to the local dmv and they contacted columbus(headquarters) and let them know that i have a matching number from the engine. They said to go ahead and title it based on that but instructed that i keep all dealings incase there's an issue when i go to renew my reg next year. I'm going to do this so i can dr the car this season and then when snow flies i'm going to pull the body to verify the frame number and make changes if needed.

2. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Sometimes it's best to let sleepin' dogs lie...

3. Awesome!

4. (BlueOval)

(BlueOval)
    from Slo-Cal

Just go back into the DMV in a few days and see someone else. If it's like the DMV here in Cali. they will probably tell you something else and maybe you'll get lucky. Anytime I see the girl pull out a big book, I respectfully make another appointment and walk out the door.:rolleyes:

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

That's great. There won't be an issue. Now, if they didn't know before, they are educated to that fact, that the motor number is the way Ford identified the car in the first place. In the future they'll be spreading the word. There's probably a little note on the bulletin board by the coffee machine in the employee break room, "Model A Ford Motor number, etc., etc.,..........
    From now on it's smoth sailing for you. Have fun. Now dad can RIP. :D

6. tripmotors

tripmotors

thanks to all the advice and info you guys gave me!

i can't wait to get it titled and on the road!

7. tripmotors

tripmotors

HOLY CRAP! I went to finally pushthe title thru and was there for 4 1/2 hrs before walking out with an Ohio title in my name! The miles didn't match up to the last registration due to the other car registered under the same #. They wanted to put odameter descrepency on the title and at first wasn't for it so they started digging in with Columbus and it opened a can of worms. Anyway I have a titled and plated Model A! Took it for about a 20 mile drive tonight. Definatley different from anything I have ever driven but love it!

oliver westlund likes this.
  8. A Rodder

A Rodder

damn, close one. good job

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Almost want to close this one with a prayer. Congrats, that was a long tunnel of bureaucratic horseshit you got dragged through.
    But all of us are more the wiser.

10. So... I guess in Ohio you can have more than one vehicle with the same serial number...

11. Well, for all we know the registered owner of the other serial number just got a nastygram from the Ohio BMV in his mailbox.

12. Rathbone

Rathbone

All car guys should move to Florida. When I titled my Model A an 18 year old girl walked out with me to see it. She asked what it was - a buggy?! I explaned that this is what cars were like before WW2. She said "OK" and I got my title and left.

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Probably, but both being same year, same make, same body style, etc are just too unlikely. Which don't matter much, ah, er, that is until some Nanny Society Egghead trys to pass another new law.................... You know the same old song, "That's just wrong! We must protect our citizens from themselves, to prevent that from ever happening again!! (hands wringing, head bobbing)).......................:D

14. That sounds too much like Hawaii's politics...

Like I said: If there are 2 vehicles bearing the same MFG's serial number, somethings not right.

15. tripmotors

tripmotors

So it's been a while but with the weather starting to change I needed to see if the frame matched the engine so I pulled the body.

the verdict-NO

The engine is a 30, the frame is from june of 31 and the body based on what I learned here is a late 31. The car looks to be a peice together.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is not at all unusual.

17. tripmotors

tripmotors

yea, i didn't think so but my step father was certain that it was an all original car and then i went to trnsfer the title and ran in to all kinds of issues

18. connecticut requires the numbers to be on the vehicle in two places. strange never heard of anybody lifting the body. who had the stamps? when i registered my truck it shared a number with a trailer. i have a feeling the model a saga isn't over!

19. tripmotors

tripmotors

i just re-read my post; i didn't have to prove the frame number to anyone but myself. i was able to title/register the car off my step fathers title that he got with the car in 78

20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The Late 31 indented firewall cars started in May of 1931, so a June 1931 frame could be the original frame for the body. Engines were commonly replaced, many times you bought an engine from a rebuilder and turned in the old one as a core. All A engines were originally built at the Rouge plant and stamped with the serial number there, then shipped to the various assembly plants, the frame was stamped with the matching number on the assembly line once the engine was installed. A popular way to title a car in the 70's and 80's was to buy a title, many came from New York where they have a yearly registration and not a true title. So multiple registrations were sold for the same car from different registration years, once States started computerizing records, multiple cars with the same VIN's started showing up.

21. I think we are all glad that that worked out for you...

A member of a local forum (and this one too) just aquired a Model A pickup (roadster I believe) w/o title... we'll see how Hawaii DMV deals with this when its all done.