Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T/ When do you work on your cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardgenius, Jul 8, 2010.

1. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

When do you guys get to work on your cars? For the last 30 years I,ve worked shifts which means I work long unsociable hours but on the plus side I get loads of time off when everyone else is at work.How do you guys that work 9 to 5 every day get anything done? I,m 51 now and haven,t worked what I,d call normal hours since I was 19. I may have a chance to change this and work 7 to 3 Monday to Friday, I really like the thought of going to bed every night.

2. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

Early evenings, and weekends!

3. deto

deto

Well when I got laid off that sure helped free up some time...

4. instead of working on a car i should be working on , i worked on my own project today

5. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I work 3-4 days a week and put in a 15-20 hour work week. For the most part I work on stuff when I feel like it and when the weather cooperates.

6. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

When business was A BOOMIN in 07 I worked 70 hours a week, bought all the parts, 08 slowed a bit, maybe 40 hours, worked on it on the weekends, 09 it was slow only worked 20 hours a week got a shit load done, 2010 real sad assed slow 5 to 15 hours a week, ran out of cash and now just sit here lookin at it. Love change baby.

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Cut all my rear springs down from 6:00 to 10:00 last night. Wife got some alone time.:)

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I work M-F 6-2:30pm, so I get plenty of car time in around that. Leaving work now, in fact, to go work on my brother's truck.

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Whenever I can!

10. nail-head

nail-head

In the evenings after dinner...sometimes until 10 or so, depending on what I'm doing an how into it I am.

It beats sitting around on the couch watching TV.

11. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

After dinner until the mosquitos start eating me alive, weekends when I have time. Currently all 3 of my old cars are in running, driving condition. Most of the "work" now is basic maintenance or cleaning...

12. nail-head

nail-head

That reminds me, I need to set off another one of those insecticide foggers in my garage tonight so I can work out there tomorrow without being dessicated by the skeeters.

13. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When i get tired of working on other broken down stuff. Tried yesterday but the rain dripping through the holes in the roof got me wet.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I no longer work on my cars ... cuts into my HAMB time and I might miss something.

15. I'm actually going crazy. I'm self employed, and haven't touched my project in three weeks. And so far, I'm busy already for the next 6 days or so. What do I do????

16. 64ville

64ville
    from So Cal

In my head I'm working on my car 24hrs a day. Doesn't really help when I need to talk to customers about their CCTV needs.

17. el shad

el shad

I work 60+ hrs a week so I allocate time to the car on the weekends. Plus my daughters LOVE being outside and helping the old man. It becomes a win/win for all of us, and my beautiful bride gets a brake from us all.
    O/T I do this thing when I am concentrating and working on the car where I stick my tongue out. Now both my daughters are doing it to. We will sit there fiddeling with the car with our tongues out like a bunch of weirdos! It is RAD to see though.

18. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

My car is in the shop with me. It's a big distraction.... I finish a order for a customer and sneak over to work for a hour, some days I bust ass then the next day I work on my car... It's one advantage of being self employed.

19. kookee

kookee

Working 70-90hrs here. So, about an hour a day Mon-Thurs. Fri-Sun, maybe four hours a day. Slow progress, but in these times, we have to do what is necessary to keep the family (and projects) afloat.

20. No skeeters here, 8-midnight after we put the kid to bed. Rockies or Twins on the AM Radio, cold beer in the shop with HAMB breaks every so often.

21. pila38

pila38

I'm a teacher and have summers off but still have no time to work on my truck. Having 3 month old twin daughters will do that to you. I try to get 1 or 2 hours a day but that doesn't always happen.

22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

everyday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keeps me goin ............. steve

23. I wish I could do that. Customer stuff never stops (of course if it did, I'd be worried sick!)

24. LUMBERJACK 50

LUMBERJACK 50
    BANNED
    from upland ca.

between take'n care of my wife who has cancer and our 3 kids and work for a couple of buck's here and there.....so its like late eve or an all night'r. if im lucky enough to work on them early'r my kid's help out and learn a little.

25. landy

landy

its hard to balance the project with family but i have found if i come home from work eat dinner, play with the kids, kids to bed, play with the wife, sneak out to the shop and thrash for 1.5 to 2 hours and do that at least 4 days. get to bed early with everyone else friday and get my self out of bed by 5 am saturday. I can work for 5 hours before anyone misses me. what can you do when you have 5 kids and a wife? no one said hot rodding was easy.

26. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

Every other weekend is 3 days long. Usuly then. Here in Tucson it's so hot right now that it often happens at night. The mosquitos will start as the monsoon starts here in about a week. Bill

27. Man, that gives some perspective! I should be glad my wife and three kids are healthy.

28. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I am retired ... so I have 24/7 available :D

But I usually work after 9 PM or so. Here is the South it is HOT ( over 100 degrees today ) with high humidity. When the weather turns cooler ... I usually try to go to the shop after lunch for a few hours.

For me ... chasing down that hard to find, illusive part is a large part of the fun :) so I enjoying the parts search as much if not more than the actual construction. I will chase parts anytime :)

I am logging off now to go play in the shop ...

29. pila38

pila38

How do you guys work so late at night? There is no way I could get away with being in the garage that time of night, my neighbors would go nuts.

30. Tman, dude you're living the life ya know, no skeeters and all. :)