Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lizard Skin or Dynamat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iddragracer, Jul 8, 2010.

1. iddragracer

iddragracer

Getting ready to start body and paint work on my 32' roadster. I like the idea of the lizard skin over the dynamat, but not sure how well it works. Pros? cons?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I have it in the sedan,like it.I will use it in the roadster when it is ready

3. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

we lizard skinned the entire inside of the 40 sedan and then (probably overkill) dynamatted the floor, above headliner and inside the doors.

4. mike54

mike54
    from California

Just to confuse you even more there's HY-TECH coatings. Metal Shield #1267 sounds like an interesting product. I've never used Dynamat, Lizard Skin, or any of the HY-TECH coatings but I've been doing a little research and thought I'd pass this on.

5. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i have used and like both products ! if you have acess to a shutz gun to spray the lizzard skin on i think it would give a nice uniform finish that could even be painted if you chose ! i brushed mine on and it still looked decent , dynamat is nice for the fact that its easy to install with no masking or mess to clean up ! both good products

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

There's a High dollar shop around here that swears by Bedlining the underside and using foil type heat sheets like dynomat or the stuff Lobucrod sells on their drivers. We are talking 300k builds. Not sure if they are smoking something but Michael Waltrip or one of those nascar dudes is part owner.

7. whoa... weird

RustyDogg likes this.
  8. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

The last couple of builds I have used Hushmat, It's smokin easy to apply and does a great job at keepin out the heat and the noise. Check it out.
    www.hushmat.com

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I like the sound of it...Lizard skin...Wrap me up.

10. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

I have used/sold Dynamat for almost 20 years. I like to cover the entire interior in Dynamat Xtreme and then use the Stinger Roadkill Carpet pad on the floor. Great results! Below is a flooring product for hotrods.
    http://dynamat.com/products_automotive_dynadeck.html

Oh, and for those of you that think spray in bedliner is a sound deadener, go knock on the bed of your pickup. Hear all that metal ringing? Bedliner is a poor sound deadener.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
    BigChief likes this.
  11. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I can understand the bedliner concept. It's thick, semi-flexible, and has a rough surface, should help absorb sound pretty decent. The sound proofing they sell on new vechicles is pretty much the same deal.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

dynamatted my 49 sedan from the footboards to under the rear seat. didn't notice one bit of difference.

they have a display at shows with the lizard skin painted on 1 half of an electric frying pan. they take 2 ice cubes and put one on the hot side and the other on the Lizard skin side. the hot side melts immediately and the other just sits there.

looks like good stuff to me.

13. DMFB

DMFB

Lizard Skin....only because I hate them. Oh yeah, works pretty good too from what I've heard.

14. Ralph

Ralph

Why not use both? Lizard Skin's for heat, and Dynamat's for noise. Still only a fraction of the (very nice looking) build cost. Why pinch pennies here?

15. yblock292

yblock292

i use the cheap stuff from lowes or home depot works fine

BigChief likes this.
  16. Hightone111

Hightone111

You just wanted to show off that bitchin car:p

17. snap too

snap too
    from lost wages

Bedliner material does offer some noise and heat reduction in my early bronco. I had the tub shot inside after media blasting and seam sealing and it has held up well to mud,dirt and spills. I don't use carpet but some door mat material that has holes/slots to let the fines drop through. After some wheeling ,I pull the mats and wash the inside with the hose and blow the excess water off with air.

18. Granger Perry

Granger Perry
    from Albany, WI

Lizard skin can be for both sound and heat from what I recall. All the people I've talked to stand by with the skin and swear to use it again.

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

haha Im a cheap ass too! I bought some tinfoil bubble stuff at a swap meet for my roof. Thats when a buddy of mine told me you can buy the same stuff at lowes for AC duct work cheap.

20. sprdave4264

sprdave4264
    from Arkansas

I used something called Cool Car which does both heat and noise and put dynamat on top of it in an OT car. Worked well. The cool car was nice because you can spray it into doors, etc. Similar in price to lizard skin, but I think lizard skin has one product for heat and another for noise IIRC, so I just went with cool car. My $.02.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The cost of some of this 'High Zoot' is vulgar. Lowe's supplied the A/C stuff in rolls, very affordable. Of course, I won't be touting it to the gold chainers at Goodguise, as they use a combination of hushmat, Dynamat, and lizardskin, all sealed with $20 bills. Can't outdo those guys...

BigChief likes this.
  22. I have lizard skin in my truck with the Lowe's version of dynamat also. Painted over the lizard skin with car color and it has held up good. That being said, I probably would not use the lizard skin again and just go with the real dynamat. I have compared the results of mine against friends cars and the dynamat alone works better than the combination I have in my truck.
    Later,
    Dick

23. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I used hush mat. My car is so fn loud I have to wear ear plugs so its hard to say if it has helped

24. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

You sure that doesn't sound like a question asked on a Street Rod forum? My floor is steel with a thin coat of PPG insulation.:)

25. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I sprayed in Lizard Skin ( Yes, I bought their gun ) and then DynaMatted the entire coupe inside. The roof, the firewall, the doors and the floor. The floor was not yet Dynamatted in the photo ... but it is done. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have another layer of DynaMat between the door upholstery and the door. :D My coupe is nice and quiet inside the car and the Vintage Air A/C will freeze you out. I believe that both Lizard Skin and DynaMat are great products and are even better when used together. :D

26. storm king

storm king

I did an o/t truck with Dynamat some years ago. It had an exhaust leak when I brought it in to do the interior, sounded like hell. (still had factory manifolds on it). When I finished the interior with Dynamat and drove it, you couldn't even hear the engine running, it was that quiet. It's too pricey, but it works.

27. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

LOL Tyou should tell them how fast you car is too... Everything is loud at a buck 50... he he he...:eek:

28. big creep

big creep

lizard skin! better hand down!

29. snowmann

snowmann
    from Sabin MN

Cheap stuff from local hardware store, foil on one side 3/8 felt on the other. You guys put stuff inside your doors? If you do dont you worry about it getting wet and staying wet and rusting the inside of your doors?