Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958 Impala

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nesto, Jul 7, 2010.

1. nesto

nesto

I have a 58 impala but im short in the fundage department. So I was wondering if any body know which cars are interchangable with it if i were to go to the pickapart. like changing the rotors to disc brake rotors and adding power steering? Any help is appreciated. Thank You

2. 50merc808

50merc808

you can check CPP for the brakes.

3. chevyhound

chevyhound
    from usa

The 58 Impala is one of the priciest Chevrolets cars to "try" and find parts for. The car is a one-year only model and the parts unfornately do not interchange with other year cars. That said, other 58 Chevy passenger models utilize the same front clip and those parts "are" interchangeable. From after the doors on back, the Impala is a car only onto itself. And depending on whether you have a convertible or HT, there are other differences too. There has been previous discussions on this forum of the peculiarities of the 58 Impala.

My suggestion is that if you are low in the funding area, you should shelve your project until you have the prerequisite $$$ or sell it before you go through what you have left. If you have any specific ?'s PM me and I will see if I can help..time permitting, that is.

4. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

There are a bunch of parts that will work with some modifying. I PS box from a 60-64 will bolt up to the frame but will require some custom made tie rods because the stock ones wont work and the ones from the donor car wont either. PS pump just look to make sure your block has the right holes and install one of your choice.

Brakes are different. The spindles are 1 year only so you will have to do some searching for the correct bearings. If possible find a "bearing supply" store and take the spindle and disc rotor to them and they will find what you need. Otherwise you will be better off going to a 58 parts supplier for the brake stuff, like Auto City Classic.

5. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Delpala is right about the ps box from a 60-64 chevy working. Probably not the highest quality parts but speedway sells tierods that will work with it...

6. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

With 58s.....always have a parts car!

7. ARTEMIS1759

ARTEMIS1759

I will put in my input here. I restored a 59 which is in the same league. You can buy patch panels through companies that sell what parts they do have out there. No body panels are available though there are patch panels. You can get a gas tank and radiator new. Which I recommend. I used a 77 impala gas tank on the 59 but the 58 comes out the side so you are kinda screwed unless you can find a car that exits (which I doubt) in the same place. The 59 and 60 had pretty much the same chassis. There are a few more years of the x-frame but not sure the interchangability. Depending on how far you want to customize you can still get most of the original bearings, brake parts and suspension parts from your local NAPA if they are willing to research it. If not call Jerry at Mandan, North Dakota's NAPA he still has all the old books. The parts are fairly reasonably priced too. We built the 59 on a 6000 dollar budget. Everything was done (including paint and interior in my Uncles garage. If you are looking to build a driver it is possible to do it. The car looks good but there are flaws. Here is the link to the car:
    http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj291/ARTEMIS1759/1959 Chevrolet Bel Air 4 door/
    If you use armor all you can rejuvinate the door seals. We did and they seal like they were brand new. Just be careful if you pull them off. I recoomend replacing the dran hoses that run beneath the windshield and back window if they are deteriorated because these prevent rust. I restored the guages myself and the AM radio still worked hooked to a 60 watt 6x9 since it was the only speaker we had laying around. It has 1986 Trans am wheels and my Aunt did the upholstry. The most expensive thing on the car was the front and rear windshield with new weatherstrip. These cars can be found you just need to be willing to look on back roads. There is a guy on here that cut the back half of the car from a 4 door from the rear window back and grafted it to a 2 door and it worked. We found 4 4doors to complete my Dad's car. Most 4 door body panels can be used for patches but not complete replacement except the front clip and I believe the windshield. Body wise only 58 parts work because it was a one year exclusive. (My favorite year). They had these models: Del Ray (bottom of the line with no frills), Biscayne, Bel Air and Bel Air Impala (this is the only year the Impala is a spin off of the Bel Air). And with the Bel Air and Bel Air Impala they also had sport coupes. Then of course you have 2 door and 4 door, post and Hardtop plus the convertible. Check out this link:
    http://www.58classicchevy.com/
    Plus if you need reference and pics this is my link:
    http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj291/ARTEMIS1759/1958 Chevy/
    If you need anything PM me. I can probably help you.

8. Satinblack

Satinblack

Well im told later model full front disc assys will bolt on although I didnt go that route. If you want parts only place to go is Auto city classic. They are a glass company but they also sell 58 parts, strictly 58. Story goes the owner went to restore his 58 long ago and found out there was no parts, so he started getting things repopped, now they have just about everything. http://www.autocityclassic.com/
    Goodluck with your 58, best car made in my opinion but i'm biased lol
    [​IMG]