Register now to get rid of these ads!

People daily-driving on "Antique Auto" plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by madgrinder, May 31, 2010.

1. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

In SC an antique tag is 10 bucks, never pay property tax on it or have to pay to renew the plate as they are good for as long as you own the vehicle, to me its a no-brainer! I pay for the insurance on my '50 just like I do on the rest of my cars and in all the years of driving it almost every day have never been stopped and asked about the tag...

2. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Must run in the family:confused:

3. 6erwebb

6erwebb
    from Nashville

The thing is on tennessee antique plates is you're only supposed to run them on saturday and sunday or in parades or vintage vehicle events... but the trick is they have to prove thats not where youre going or coming from. I run only antique plates every day. I also get pulled over ... quite a bit, probably because most times one or both my taillights dont work, the only time Ive ever had anything said to me about running the tags during the week was when they actually made me go to court... for swapping antique tags HA.

Anyway as long as youre not driving like an idiot, arent sticking out, dont have any lights out at night they wont bother you in TN.

-webb

4. WHY THE GUY FROM CANADA WAS TALKING INSURANCE they have to buy their insurance from the state[province] when they buy tags
    and its not cheep alot of people question me on what we pay for our insurance, and they are shocked at how little we pay

a example is a motorcycle for tags and ins. costs close
    to 1K in canuckland when i proabbly pay $100 for tags and insurance

5. Swifster

Swifster

Every state is different regarding restrictions and enforcement. In Florida, the enforcement is rather lax. I'm hoping to use YOM plates on the Stude even with more than 'show & parade' use.

6. brandon

brandon

those are one tax bill i don't mind paying.....:D

7. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

anything to get a little back from a govt gone wildly outta control with taxation!

8. mj40's

mj40's

Here is what we have in Idaho. The problem we have is the DMV issuing plates to cars because of the year it is and not checking to see which category it falls under. Needless to say we have a lot of vehicles that are rodded or altered that are running Classic and Old Timer plates because the girls at the counters tell them that is what they need with out asking the right questions.

These are general descriptions and there are advantages in each program.

[​IMG]
    CLASSIC PLATE

These are covered by Idaho Code, Sections 49-401,401A, and 49-406A. These can be issued to vehicles over thirty (30) years of age, but manufactured after January 1, 1943, and are considered primarily a collector's item, and not used for general transportation or in furtherance of a business or Occupation. These vehicles may be used for exhibits, parades, tours, club activities, and for such occasional use as is necessary for operation and maintenance of the vehicle. Plates SHALL NOT BE USED for business or commercial purposes, racing or rallies, or FOR REGULAR TRANSPORTATION, unless the vehicle is dual plated with an appropriate passenger car or truck plate. There is an initial fee of $25.00, plus a $10.00 plate fee. Once every 3 years an owner verification form will be mailed all holders on file, and a charge of $3.00 per vehicle will be collected.

[​IMG]
    OLD TIMER PLATE

These are covered by Idaho code, Section 49-406. By definition, an Old Timer is any motor vehicle manufactured before January 1, 1943, that is considered primarily a collectors item and is not used for regular transportation. It may be used for exhibits, parades, tours, club activities. and such occasional use as is necessary for operation and maintenance of the vehicle. Authenticity of the restoration is self certified. The Old Timer plates have black letters on silver background. Old Timer plates SHALL NOT BE USED for business or commercial purposes, racing or rallies, or FOR REGULAR PERSONAL TRANSPORTATION. If the owner wants Old Timer plates, but intends to drive the vehicle for regular transportation, the vehicle must be dual plated; as both an Old Timer and as a passenger car, truck, etc,. There is an initial fee of $25.00 plus a $10.00 plate fee. Once every 3 years an owner verification form will be mailed to all holders on file, and a charge of $3.00 per vehicle will be collected.

[​IMG]
    YEAR OF MANUFACTURE PLATE

This is covered by Idaho Code, Section 49-407. By definition, a Year of Manufacture is any motor vehicle with any model year up to and through 1974, and under 8,000 pounds, and displays authentic Idaho plates manufactured in the same year as the vehicle. There is an annual registration fee, an initial program fee of $25.00, and an annual program fee of $15.00 each year thereafter, and (obviously) no plate fee.

[​IMG]
    STREET ROD PLATE

This is covered by Idaho Code, Section 49-408. By definition, a Street Rod is any modernized motor vehicle manufactured before 1949, or designed to resemble such a vehicle. A Street Rod shall have all equipment in operating condition which was specifically required by law as a condition for it's first sale after manufacture. Street Rod plates bear the inscription "Street Rod", a picture of a 1929 Highboy roadster, and the registration number. There is an annual registration fee, an initial program fee of $25.00, and an annual program fee of. $15.00 each year. Plate fee is $6.00.
    [/FONT]

9. At one time Arkansas had a historical vehicle mileage restriction. Several years ago the legislature removed the limit because it was unenforceable.

Any vehicle 25 years old qualifies for an antique tag so long as it is "stock."

The tags require a one time fee of $25 and are non-transferable.

When you register the vehicle you must sign a statement to the effect that the it is "stock" and that you agree to surrender the tag if the Department of Finance and Accounting (DMV) discover the vehicle is non-compliant.

I am told that there is an individual in Little Rock who takes and mails pictures of non-compliant vehicles to the DFA who then compelled to issue letters recalling the tags.

10. toledobill

toledobill

Every time I hit the road with my '40 believe me, it's an EVENT.

If I were ever asked, my purpose would be to keep the engine and drivetrain "active" -- for its own sake..

Here in Ohio, it's one plate for fifty years, no renewal, and run your one YOM plate on your back bumper -- just keep your Historical plate in your glove box.

11. historynw

historynw

New york has a restriction but I own the plate and pay the state for the privilege of using it. The cops don't know so going for coffee is a club activity. My car is insure for unlimited use.

12. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

If you ask me, YOM plates don't belong on a Hotrod, only restored cars. Who made a Hotrod out of a brand-new car in the 30's? I bet nearly no one. The plate should reflect the time period you would have seen the car in... but what do I know any how???

13. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

In Happy Illinois I have to run B plates on my 38 panel, because its lettered, I have to put it on my commercial insurance as a fleet truck, the insurance company said that if I wreck it they will only pay a grand out because thats what the book value is, the state however wants a tax of 3 grand because they claim its worth 45 grand. What a grand collection of fine people.

14. FIL

FIL

In Australia, I pay $500 per year to register each of my cars... In California it's $88 for full registration on the Cadillac... I see no reason to stress about trying to find a cheaper way to do it... :)

15. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Another reason I'm glad I live in Kansas. No restrictions here.

WB69 likes this.
  16. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It's all about being economical. Every dollar saved on taxes is a dollar more for beer.:D

Yep, we know who we are........ It's easy enough to comply if you know what you're doing.
    I follow the Colorado statute to the letter; I go to a lot of assemblies, conventions, or other meetings , demonstrations, and occasions. I also don't think they would pull my plates for 'road testing' after making repairs. I make 'adjustments' daily and do a lot of 'road tests'.

"Where you been/going?"
    "Meeting with my old car buddies. We meet for lunch, breakfast, and other occasions a lot. You should join us sometime.":D

(if I ever get stopped. Last time was in about 1990something, I think??)

R A Wrench likes this.
  17. MotorBoyMike

MotorBoyMike
    from Corn Coast

No issue with mileage or anything to sport the "antique" or "historic" plates...but some of the insurance companies are sticklers if you plan on using your old ride for a daily driver.

18. JimSwann

JimSwann

Nashville here, run standard plates. I drive it daily, so to avoid the hassle...

19. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I drive my '63 Econoline every day with antique tags in Texas. Never had a hassle. If I do get stopped, I was either on my to or from a car club meeting or taking it to a buddy's garage for repairs. As long as you have an excuse ready, have insurance and aren't drunk, they'll pretty much leave you alone here.

20. T Fritz

T Fritz

Here in Minnesota the state has Pioneer, Street Rod and Collecter plates. The State really does not want you driving around to work but they have no miliage enforcement. The state allows your insurance Co. to dictate how, where and when you drive and for how many miles.

21. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Minnesota has 4 classes of collector plates for cars:

Pioneer Plates
    Any vehicle manufactured before 1936 and retained as a collector's item can display these plates.

Classic Plates
    These plates can be displayed on any vehicle manufactured from 1925 to 1948 that's deemed a classic car by the registrar of motor vehicles. The criteria for this designation includes superior workmanship, design, elite engineering standards, and proof the vehicle is only used as a collector's item.

Collector Plates
    Any vehicle that's at least 20 model years old and manufactured after 1935 can display these plates, providing you, the owner, also have at least one other vehicle registered in Minnesota.

Street Rod Plates
    You qualify for these plates if your vehicle was manufactured before 1949 or was recreated to resemble a vehicle manufactured before 1949. You must also have at least one other vehicle registered in Minnesota.

Vehicles registered in any of the collector classes are restricted to operation solely as a collector item. These vehicles cannot be used for general transportation purposes. Owner has the choice of being one or two license plates for display. If one plate is chosen, the plate must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. All license plates (with the exception of original Minnesota license plates), are issued out of the central office. No-fault insurance requirements apply to collector vehicles.

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The individual you're referring to is George Beyers of Benton. Here's a link with the letter he wrote to the Roger Duren, administrator of the Office of Motor Vehicles in Little Rock:

http://www.arkansastinlizzies.com/First Level/Presidents Message/Antique Car Plates.htm

23. I agree, to an extent. You could run a tag for the year of your birth, or whatever year you wanted to, but then the bureaucrats would get confused (as if they weren't already) and make things very difficult, if not impossible, to use what would have to be called "pre-issued" tags.

A '31 Ford chopped and channelled car looks odd with a YOM registration. A restored '31 doesn't.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

You just hit a nerve! My 1912 T hasn't been on the road in 12 years, but is sure would look stupid to me having "Antique" plates on the 1985 Ford LTD I drive every day. Sure it's 25 years old, big fucking deal, when it finally dies and repairs are going to be over a few hundred bucks the pile of crap gets crushed. Every house painter with a 25 yeatr old death trap station wagon runs "Antique" plates. Some day something will happen and REAL antique cars will loose the right to use these plates.

25. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

You are kidding. You can't tell me with a stratight face that you would give a shit what plates I had on my car.

26. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Yes indeed. I'll second that!

WB69 likes this.
  27. mj40's

mj40's

Oh come on! Tell us how you really feel about your uncle.

28. mj40's

mj40's

This one really gets to me. This guy is running a classic plate on a 90's reproduction Cobra. Which means somehow he got it titled as a 60's early Cobra to qualify for this plate. The other two are right up there in being a real classic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  29. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

For once I actually agree with you.

Theres plenty of gooder skeletons in my closet to hassle me about.

30. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

lefty is right i mean correct.... i ran a 1949 plate on my 49 and when (and i did) get pulled over they never gave me any slack about the plate as long as i had the other ones with me.