Register now to get rid of these ads!

Green Race Cars...unlucky??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hightone111, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Hightone111

Hightone111

Call me trendy, but I'm building a gasser and I plan on painting it green...any horror stories out there that people know of regaurding this urban legend?

The build is of the 60's era and probably won't be the safest ride in the world to start with, so if something horrible DOES happen...I blame it on the 60's

2. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

green is supposed to represent the grass in the infield of a circle track thus unlucky. not sure if it applies to drag racing but i know it applies to roundy rounds.

3. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Maybe John Force could pipe in on this one.

4. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

My old car a 48 Austin was green.It ran D/Gas and was called Greenhorn.I do know the car and open trailer flipped coming back from Florida years ago.So maybe there is some truth but the car set records back then in the sixties.

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Hey if its like M&Ms it makes the girls horny, hang a rabbits foot on your key chain, even up the Karma.

6. George

George

Green was considered unlucky in NASCAR for many years. The 18 car (& others recently)seems to be doing OK though.

7. Thumper

Thumper

A buddy of mine had a 55 chevy drag car that was green......kept blowing engines...so he called it the Jade Grenade...lol.....go figure.

8. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

When I helped my friend race sprint cars we never wore green to the track-

9. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Green is definitely considered unlucky. Also unlucky back in the day: peanuts in the pits.

Not sure if you guys have heard this one, but I read a biography of Indy driver Wilbur Shaw when I was kid, and both superstitions were featured prominently.

10. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

''if it is not fast chrome it...if it still isnot fast paint it green so you can hide it in the weeds''

11. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

green racecars are along the same lines as renaming boats.....bad luck.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

bad luck is not caused by colors.

60's era gassers should all be painted Schwinn Stingray blue anyway. everyone knows that blue cars hook up better than green ones.

13. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Not for Kevin Helms.
    3 time world champ in NHRA stock eliminator.

Tim

14. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Like others have said, I dont think that applies to drag racing. I once was offered a ride in a roundy round car that was painted green, I said sure I'll drive it. I won the first time out in it and then talked the owner into changing the color scheme I ended up driving that car for 4 seasons

15. Steve 38

Steve 38

In Formula 1 back in the 50s and 60s, before teams started painting their cars up to reflect their sponsors, each country represented would have their own national colours, eg, Germany was silver, Italy red, I think the US was white, France was blue, etc, and Britain was green. And cars painted British Racing Green, such as Lotus, BRM, Cooper, Vanwall, etc, had plenty of success.

16. 296ardun

296ardun

There was a guy from Northern California who ran a green top fuel car, number 13, and called it "Superstition," anyone remember his name? Don't think he ever won anything. so probably reinforced the green race car superstition....

17. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Not a lucky color for the Zookeeper......

18. STILL OLD

STILL OLD
    from tennessee

It may have had bad luck on the trailer, but when You unloaded that thing it flew

Buzz

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Some of the old superstitions in racing were the color green (except the flag, I guess), peanuts, even women were not being allowed in the pits. They got started long ago. I'm sure there are more of them, too.

But... ask Jimmy Clark and all the other "ferrin" racers who invaded Indy years ago how they felt about green cars! Nationalism prevails over silly superstitions, eh? Also, I think all superstition got killed VERY quickly when high paying sponsors like Kodiak (sp?) chewing tobacco, Mountain Dew, 7-up, etc started showing up at races with their checkbooks open. Later, Gary

20. Larry T

Larry T

The superstition of green being unlucky goes way back before cars were invented. It was just adapted to race cars, motorcycles, etc. as folks saw fit.
    Larry T

21. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Funny ...4 leaf clovers are green..??

22. Green Gassers! ykes,,,,, who knew??

Attached Files:

23. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Green Corvette Funnycars are considered unlucky.

24. ags41dave

ags41dave
    from midwest

Istwsh:perhaps that is why the current owner of your car has it painted red,Dave

25. chop32

chop32

I grew up hearing that green was unlucky on motorcycles...
    My very first car was green and I had nothing but problems with it. What I then attributed to the color, Ive since realized was just my lack of knowledge!

26. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

"The build is of the 60's era and probably won't be the safest ride in the world to start with, so if something horrible DOES happen...I blame it on the 60's"[/QUOTE]

sounds doomed from the start, so i guess color don't matter. should build it safe first then worry about the color later.

27. Chuck R

Chuck R

Jim Clark - Indy 1965

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  28. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I remember a Mickey Rooney movie about racing, a green car was called a HooDoo wagon, and considered very unlucky!
    I think the movie was called "The Big Wheel"
    I worked very hard for my Good Luck!

29. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Custer rode a green horse to LITTLE BIG HORN.. This is how it got started.........

30. SDhotrod

SDhotrod