Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1952 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe - Build Thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SanDiegoJoe, Jun 22, 2010.

1. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I have been posting the "Story of my '52" for a while now... but I have not done a proper build thread.

I bought my '52 in Long Beach after selling my 1969 C-10 pickup. The plan was to sell the pickup and finish the 1929 RPU Lakes Modified that I had in the garage... but the '29 wouldn't have been the best to enjoy with my 2 small sons.

The sale of the '29 paid to have the drive train swap done. I can't wait to hear the hopped up 250 that GMC Bubba built.

That and I have always wanted an early '50s Chevy Sedan. My dad won a 53 playing pool when he was a kid and from the day I heard that story, I wanted one.

The previous posts have detailed the early trials and joys of owing my Styleline Deluxe. Now it's time to get busy and build.

The engine / trans / rear are in the car. The car is lowered.

My friend Karl is helping me wire the car. We are using a Rebel Wire 9+3 kit. The old wires are out / the fuse bloc is mounted / the wires are strung.

[​IMG]

This weekend I hope to get the wiring finished!

- Joe

2. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

and you end the story with that lousy pic LOL...I think we deserve better

3. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

My friend Karl is helping me wire the car. We are using a Rebel Wire 9+3 kit. The old wires are out / the fuse bloc is mounted / the wires are strung.
    AND THE PICTURE SUCKS!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

This weekend I hope to get the wiring finished!

- Joe[/QUOTE]

4. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

5. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Yesterday afternoon my buddy Mario came over to check out the floor of the 52. There is some rust under there and Mario is one of the best sheetmetal guys in town.

They are not as bad as I thought (although I won't really know until I jerk the carpet). The bad news is that I need to replace the body mounts.

Anyone know of a company that sells the aftermarket brackets?

- Joe

6. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Talked to Karl last night - We are on for finishing the wiring on Saturday!

- Joe

7. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

dude....yer killin' me with that pic....the sh!tstorm will continue until satisfactory digital media is tendered.

EDIT: ;)....in case it wasn't obvious! :p

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  8. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

We were able to get some work done today... I worked on re-mounting the grill and Karl worked on the wiring.

The gauges are all wired up, I have the 12 volt bulbs on the way to the local CarQuest and I picked up a battery.

Tomorrow I'll run over with a headlight and match it up to the 12 volt equivalent.

OK PoBoyRoss - here are the pix man....

Start of the day, the garage is clean and we can work:
    [​IMG]

Karl working under the dash:
    [​IMG]

I painted the apron to cover the bare steel where it had to be trimmed to fit the reversed radiator:
    [​IMG]

17 years to the day before I was born:
    [​IMG]

The grill is just sitting there, I need to find the body screws that hold it in place. It sure is nice to see it without the layer of filth and that grill in there, though!
    [​IMG]

I also mounted up the coil and cleaned up some of the engine compartment:
    [​IMG]

Once we were done for the day, the boys stopped riding scooters long enough to play in the 52:
    [​IMG]

I miss cruising around with this guy:
    [​IMG]

Damn Karl does nice work:
    [​IMG]

BBQ tomorrow, more work on Monday!

- Joe

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looking good!! keep it up!!!!!

10. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

SWEEEEET. Tell this "Karl" that I need him to come over and wire up my Rebel 20 kit....I pay in "ataboys" and pats on the back.....

Looking wicked and *very* clean. I have a 50, but love the 52 grill. Shoot some vids of it when you get it on the road. BTW, are you running anything special for the exhaust? Glasspacks, Porters?

11. Nice Car!!! Thanks for sharing the pics.

firstnomad

12. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Thanks Chad!

Jersy is a long way to drive for an "ataboy"!

I'm really happy with the quality of the Rebel Wire kit, We have had no issues so far.

The stock exhaust manifold was split by GMC Bubba. I'll be running 1 side straight pipe, the other gets a 24" glasspack... 1 3/4" tubes all the way to the back of the car.

- Joe

13. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Hey - anyone have a part number for the 12 volt headlights?

thanks guys.
    - Joe

14. billys54

billys54

nice car keep it up.

15. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

thanks man

16. fbama73

fbama73

EMS makes repros of the body mounts. I haven't actually held any in my hand, but they look good (and correct) in the pictures, and they claim that they're made from the correct 16 ga steel. If I were not making my own for my '51, I'd certainly try these.

17. give Karl a break and pull the front seat so the man can work! that just looks painful.

just finished wiring the '64 Merc with a Rebel 9+3. Great quality. Bob is "good folks" and helped me track down a couple of gremlins that I created...she's running flawlessly now.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  18. 41hemi

41hemi

The headlights you need in 12 volt will be part # 6014. Just about any auto store should be able to help you out. I wish you loads of fun cruising your car with your 2 kids! Car is looking great!:D

19. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

i dont know if you were trying to be funny or not, but i literally was laughing my ass off for awhile cus of the picture of the guy wiring.

thats an unflatering picture of someone to say the least. LOL

20. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Thanks for the info!! I'll grab those headlights today and http://www.emsautomotive.com/ is a killer source for the body panels.

- Joe

21. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

That was the clean picture. I refuse to post "the money shot".

22. TruckDrivingSOB

TruckDrivingSOB

Joe is an amazing artist also so he takes care of me better than an ataboy! And yes that pic is not flatering but when you are 6'2" and 380lbs its hard to get to places!!

23. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Hey Karl! I didn't know you were on the HAMB!!

Thanks for the hard work today man, you made some real headway while I putzed around and painted stuff on the 52.

- Joe

24. TruckDrivingSOB

TruckDrivingSOB

Yah dont post much but i am here! With out the putzy painting where would we be???

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  25. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

26. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

27. learned to drive a 3 on the tree on my fathers lap as a small kid in his '52. nice car.

28. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Got any pix of the car?

29. I've been checking out early '50s Chevys myself...got an RPU and building a street/strip '48 Austin. Neither is worth a damn when you have a family!

I'd really like a mild mannered, somewhat fuel efficient four seat cruiser. AND I'd put A/C in it so there are no reasons not to take it everywhere - gets hot and humid here. Enjoy that thing with the kids.

30. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Karl was over again today to plug away on the wires. We were able to do a temp mount on the starter (wrong bolts) and we wrapped all the wires in under the hood.

We used hockey tape and to turned out killer. I think it looks factory!

Before:
    [​IMG]

During:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Super clean, huh?
    [​IMG]
    - Joe