Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old cars from China.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gavin.zhang, Jun 14, 2010.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah shucks :)

Vince you over here somewhere too?

2. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Gavin, please push and demand for Pontiac.

3. deucegarage

deucegarage

yep, post #30, deucegarage

Reposted from Fordbarn V8:

Pete,
    It looks like Luo Wenyou 骆文有 has made a lot of progress on his museum in the last few years.

I visited his collection in 2006, and also visited the big collection of Liu Xiangyang 刘向阳 and Zhang Yang 张阳 in Dalian around the same era. At that time, Luo Wenyou's cars other than the Hong Qi were mostly jumbled in his building, and it was not a 'museum' and was not open to the public, and none of the big photos were on the walls.

I will work this week to make some some new web pages on my site of the photos I took back then of the collection, as well as the other collection in Dalian.

There is also another nice smaller private collection in Shanghai owned by Sun Hongfu 孙鸿福, and one in Hong Kong I am aware of.

Also, in Anting, there is the Shanghai Automotive History Museum which has a lot of cars on loan from the Blackhawk collection. A lot of nice cars, but very poorly exhibited, with virtually no story or background info.

Here is a page on Luo Wenyou's Hong Qi's (红旗) when they were displayed at the Beijing Auto Show in 2006.

Chinese 红旗 Hong Qi Automobiles (8 pics)

Also some old China car and truck photo links on my personal web site:

Old Cars in China (14 pics)

Old Trucks and Buses in China (12 pics)

Also some other China Auto show links on my personal web site:

2006 Beijing China International Auto Show Highlights (30 pics)

2007 Shanghai China International Auto Show Highlights (27 pics)

2008 Beijing China International Auto Show Highlights (10 pages)

2009 Shanghai China International Auto Show Highlights (10 pages)

Vince,
    Reporting today, July 5, 2010, from:
    中国 上海

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  4. Chieftec160

Chieftec160

That's right, they ride like a dumptruck, I love mine!

5. deucegarage

deucegarage

I had not heard that all the black Buicks will be made in China soon! :D

Actually, Buicks are and will continue to be made in North America as well as China for the foreseeable future. Those are it's two principal markets.

Buick's (Made in China) success in China is one of the reasons that Buick survived and Pontiac and Saturn (and earlier Oldsmobile) did not in the big picture at GM and during their US bankruptcy. The Buick brand is highly successful and highly profitable in China, and improving in the US.

Furthermore, Buick's domestic success in China over the last 10 years has fueled the continuation of Buick branded product programs in China, as well as helped clarify Buick's position and image in the North American marketplace.

This has led to a resurgence in the Buick image and popularity in the US, as well as favorable results in JD Powers, Consumers Reports, etc, and made Buick a good value proposition against many of its competitors in the US.

Buick has a good and growing portfolio of products made and sold in North America, and I do not believe that is likely to change at this point or any time soon in GM's post-bankruptcy history.

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8 million cars sold here in the last 6 months, more then anywhere else on the planet. Apparently the only part of GM profitable last year too.

Saw some old footage on the TV with what looked like 30s cars, I gotta make some fliers and take them with me everywhere. :)

7. shihtzu11

shihtzu11
    from dacoma OK

any old TATRA's still around over there? i saw one 30 years ago...i think they were mfg. in Checkoslovakia, maybe.....very cool cars with a V-8 in the rear, somewhat simular to a TUCKER..........also was some what surprised to find a 1967 pro-stock, very bad ass, outstanding Camaro for sale in Estonia, listed on EBAY...........drags popular over there?...............thanks! shihtzu11

8. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any pics of those mate, will keep my eyes open :)

9. deucegarage

deucegarage

And learn how to ask for old photos in junk shops and markets, and show some example photos because 99% of people will not fathom that you are actually looking for old car photos, even though that is what you are specifically asking about.
    (Does not compute, Does not compute, Does not compute, .....)
    Most of them have never seen an old car photo themselves.
    You must be some kind of crazy Ou da li ya ren!

Ni you lao ye qi che zhao pian, ma?
    (Do you have any old photos of grandfathers car?) (generically an old car)
    Ask some friend for the proper pinyin pronunciation. I can't coach you here.
    Good Luck on the hunt!