Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 Fairlane Gasser Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shizzelbamsnapper, May 13, 2010.

1. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Yep. Lrm show in Indy did u have it in Louisville in 96 too? I have a 67 that was going to be a lowrider but interests and bank accounts change.:D

2. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Yea, Louisville was the first show, took 1st place in my class and best flake and Best candy.

3. From one Gasser fan to another... Awesome ride Shizzel!

4. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Thanks

5. lorodz

lorodz

6. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Been a while, time for some pics before the Gasser Reunion. Still need to fab up some fenderwell headers and do the interior then its on to paint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. johnboy13

johnboy13

Oh man, that thing is sooooo friggin' cool.

8. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Can't wait to see it at the track. I'll be there Sat.

9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

niceeeeeeeeeeee

10. LOVE IT! Keep kickin' ass!

11. bubba22349

bubba22349

Very nice build how dose it handle? Doing a rebuild of my 63 Fairlane drag car has the old Econline axle under it. Am looking for some narrow front wheels like yours are they a 3 1/2 or 4 inch Ansen Sprint? Wouldn’t mind some narrow steel wheels too.

12. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Thanks,

The car handles great even without the front shocks yet. I can take my hands off the wheel at 60 mph and it goes straight for over a mile, no weird shakes or shimmys. I put 6* of caster in it and it turns beautifully. The fronts are 3 1/2 with tires from 1985 (those have to go due to safety).

13. Shizzelbamsnapper nice car! I thought it looked familar at Norwalk yesterday. Love the red tint windows!

14. rabidcustoms

rabidcustoms
    from Iowa

Looks good Lonnie!

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Awesome build! I've been a Gasser fan since I was a kid in the '60s, and a car like yours will keep me grinning for a week. Just one question; is that a stock T-5?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  16. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Yep Stock T-5 out of a Stang. Cracked 3 blocks from the crank to the cam journals but have never hurt the T-5.

17. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Thanks Chris, hows your project coming?

18. ronk16

ronk16

where did you get the window tint from? looking for yellow tint.

19. freebird101

freebird101

thats amazingly cool

20. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Summit Racing, its Ghila tint and let me tell you it sucks!!!! We use a 3mil tint at work (and goes on great) but the Ghila is like a .75 mill real hard to get on without creasing, so I suggest ordering an extra roll or two. They look to be the only ones who handle the colors. Its the same stuff as the guys on evilbay sell but comes in smaller rolls and in the long run is cheaper.

21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Damn I didn't know they were that strong! I wonder if one will stand up behind a 429. Hmmmm.

Are you going to run the quarter in your car? What gears you running?

22. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

They will if the person building them knows what they are doing and you don't miss third :) Yep I plan on taking it down the quarter, just need to install some seat belts, roll bar and new tires. I have a 3:1 gear in it now, but I think 4.11:1's will be the final gearing.

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

lol Yep that third gear shift can be a bitch if not done right. I wonder if the Hurst vertical gate shifter is still around and if there is one for the T-5. Gotta check on that.
    I'm guessing that with the blower and 4.11s you should hit at least mid-11s if you can get it to hook up. Please post a video for us.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Just checked out V-gates, apparently none are available any more. In any event, after reading up about T-5's its a moot point, considering how the shifter is set up. Duh. I've never worked with anything other than 3 and 4 speeds.
    According to a Car Craft article, the T-5s were only good for about 250 ft-lb of torque. How do you manage to make yours live behind that blower motor?

25. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Really tight clearances, stay on the low end of specs, don't shift above 6200, and no 7000 clutch dumps and it will be fine. They will withstand upwards of 600+ in the tq area. The one Car Craft is talking about is the Non World Class T-5 found in most Chevys and early Fords.

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Gotcha. A T-5 will probably be cheaper than a top loader, those seem to be going for around 2 grand. Whatever I build will be a daily driver anyway, and the 5th gear might help with gas mileage. Thanks for the info.

27. rabidcustoms

rabidcustoms
    from Iowa

Good, Thanks!.... its getting there, I've been working on it at least 3-4 days a week now,a few hours a time as I can. its starting to get fun again :D

starting the dash build now, so I can get a little more creative ;).

28. slammed

slammed

Clean work, really different build.......A+!

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

[​IMG][​IMG]

I was curious to see what the car looked like as a two door, so I Photoshopped it, removing the rear door & "C" pillar. Looks kinda cool!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  30. CYCO_FISH

CYCO_FISH

i saw this going out of UNOH onto Cable. did you get students to work on this? This is Justin Frische. Dad sent me an email with a link to your post with the pics of last weekends Good Guys show and i recognized the car. Sorry i couldn't help myself, bad genes.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010