Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good spark-no fuel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grinderspark, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

Recently I posted about the 305 I have in a 30 sedan and the lack of fuel delivery to the carb.
    I installed a new mechanical fuel pump, and still have the same problem.

There is gas getting to the pump, but not from the pump to the carb.
    There is fresh gas in the tank.
    The spark is good. I pour a little gas down the carb and it fires right over.
    I blew out the inlet line back to the tank with air in case of debris blockage, refilled the line, connected it to the pump and still nothing.

The gas filter between the pump and carb is new and has no blockage. There is no debris clogging the line at the carb inlet.

Now I'm stumped.

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Question ??? Do you have the pump arm on the F/P push rod ? Is the push rod in the engine?

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

did you remember to put the fuel pump pushrod back in?

4. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

Push rod is in and on the arm of the pump.

5. The Shocker

The Shocker

Dumb question ,but are you sure you have the lines hooked up proplerly? Inlet from tank and outlet to carb.I have seen more than one person hook it up backwards .May also have gotten a new faulty pump ,i have gotten a bad one once from Autozone ...

6. lorodz

lorodz

Did you check if the line is kinked at the pump.also check the filter in the Carb?

7. jjsound

jjsound

I had an issue once with the tiniest piece of plastic from a new gas tank in the diaphragm not allowing it to close and seal properly. I actually couldn't see the plastic but noticed it didn't seal completely.

8. olpaul

olpaul

disconnect the gas line going in to the pump and put a vacuum gage on the pump inlet fitting, and crank the engine. It should suck. Sounds like the check valve in the pump may be bad.

9. lorodz

lorodz

Disconnect the line from the Carb and crank the car over see what shoots out.if nothing than you know.its the line or the pump.

10. lorodz

lorodz

Disconnect the carb line and crank the motor over seee if fuel comes out.

11. Nortin

Nortin
    from Canada

This might sound strange but , check the pieces of rubber hose ( if you have them) where the lines leave the tank. I have seen these hoses tear on the inside and leave a "flap" in the line, The car might try to run but the pump sucks the flap down inside the line and blocks the fuel flow( acts like a check valve) . I've seen this on a driver and on a sportsman stock car and it was a source of much head scratching before it was discovered. Might be worth checking it out. This is where a combined vacuum / fuel pressure guage comes in so you can test the pump operation on both sides of the pump.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen that all too many times. Is the fuel line between the pump twisted or kinked at either end? It usually happens at the carb when someone turns the nut on the fuel line and doesn't hold the nut that it goes into with a wrench. Also check to make sure that the fuel filter isn't in backwards in the carb. Usually they will run with it in backwards they just don't run good.

Take the line off at the carb and stick a plastic bottle on it and crank the engine for a bit and see if it pumps fuel up and go back down line from there.

13. Grinderspark

Grinderspark

All the lines are clear and free flowing. There's no fuel filter in or on the Edelbrock carb, just a new aftermarket one in the line between the pump and carb. There was no fuel getting to the filter yesterday, but when I looked at it this morning, there was a small amount in the glass cylinder that was a slight shade of orange. I'm suspecting that there might be some rust residue in the tank blocking the pickup, and it looks like a tank flush is in order.

14. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If you have one of those fuel filters with a glass body that you can take apart get rid of it. POS that are known leakers. Add a filter ahead of the fuel pump also even if you do get the tank boiled out. One bit of crud on one of the seats in the pump will stop you dead.

15. moparkevin

moparkevin

Man!!!!!!! I have this same problem right now..
    I pulled the glass off the fuel pump.. and got red clay out of it.. then put it back on and crack it.. hardly no fuel to the pump.. must be clogged.. great...