Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Awesome photo! That makes 2 '49 Plymouth 4-doors that competed during the '54 season (the other was #X-100 campaigned by Blackie Pitt the 1st half of the year).

Do you have any pics of Marvin Panch's '50 Plymouth (#15, owned by Chet Chiroso)...I believe he finished in the top 10 at Corbin.

2. Steelking22

Steelking22

Some more info I hope everbuddy enjoys. This car was listed at classic car brokers, the Volo Auto Museum outside of Chi-town recently. Advertised as "authentic" and "restored." Enjoy.
    Steelking22:cool:

3. Steelking22

Steelking22

Some photos of Lee Petty cars. The first is of a contest-winning model of a Chrysler, the other two are of his 1955 Dodge D-500 Coronet. BTW, Lee won the first NASCAR race at Heidelberg Raceway, outside of Pittsburgh ... the first track I ever saw paved cars run at!:cool:

4. Falconred

Falconred

Looks like Randy Holt's car, if it is it has a wild flathead engine.

5. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

It's # 99 night !

Following are three John Sommerville photos - two taken at different Dayton Speedway ARCA races and the last taken at Kil-Kare in Xenia, Ohio at the same special show that the #33 car previously posted also competed in.

I know I have this same car on dirt - just couldn't find it tonight.....

Enjoy.

Vegas_Oldtimer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the only race I ever saw John run at Kil-Kare.

6. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

Any pics of this #X-100?

:)

7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Steve. Gary, I haven't found a photo of Marvin's Plymouth yet.

8. Steelking22

Steelking22

I just wanted to wish all American Iron mechanics, racers and fans a Happy Independence Day, while we still live in a free United States of America. It will not be the same country much longer.

The first picture is a 1950 Olds Rocket 88 tribute to Buck Baker's tracker.

Next is the original NASCAR logo affixed to approved cars.

Third is an unknown feature winner in a 55 Ford at Tampa's late Golden Gate Speedway (paved).

Last is an incredible graphic design from 1969 that you might recognize ... the cars today look like an orange and lime green highlighter given to a 3 year-old ... then the sponsor complains about the return on the investment. I have 1 year of graphic design and 80% of the designs running on TV today would fail Marketing 101. Long live the Co-Cola Monte Carlo!!! The Purolator Mercury, Smokey's Black and Gold and Petty Blue!!!

Steelking22 -- 24 years served in your Armed Forces:cool:

9. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Here's a 4th of July post - Looked for something patriotic. I did find Elmer Davis # 72 ARCA Car with great red, white & blue numbering.

Everyone have a grand 4th of July

Vegas_oldtimer

[​IMG]

10. copley62

copley62

11. DDRE

DDRE
    from Michigan

Thank you Steel King for your service and thank you to all the others on this board that served. My fondest memory of the fourth of July was watching my dad win the feature for the old models at Flat Rock speedway in 1958. I remember like it was yesterday seeing that old coupe geting the checker flag and just as it crossed the finish line all the lights went out on the track and the fireworks started. I remember seeing that old coupe on the cool down lap under the glow of the fireworks. None of our tracks around here have 4th of july specials anymore. So today I spent my day with my youngest daughter, who was the last driver of my race car,and who I am damn proud of, at a barbacue because she will be shipping out soon to Iraq as part of the rebuilding fources. I would have much rather spent it at our local track watching her try to carry on her grandpa's tradition. You were right Steel King thing are a lot different today.

12. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Cotati, Calif..........1964

The first PCLM (later Winston-West) stock car race I ever attended. Some of the field heading into turn #1. The #98 "formal-window' Merc I believe is Eddy Grey. Can't identify the others.

Cotati was an old WWII airfield that had been converted ito a drag strip and sports car racing track. A promoter got the idea to try full sized stock cars but, financially, he didn't make much. As far as I know, this was the first & last Nascar event ever held at this track. Note nothing between spectators and the race cars but a wood post fence!

[​IMG]

13. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Cotati, Calif...........1964

Race winner...........Darel Dierenger in a Stroppe Merc. Deirenger flew in for the race. The Merc was trucked up from the Stroppe shops in Long Beach.

[​IMG]

14. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Cotati, Calif............1964

One of Dick Bown's early Mopars. In the days of true STOCK cars, this was a 4dr HT with the rear doors chained to secure (probably a salvage yard retrieval). The car had a wedge motor. My notes showed a podium finish for this car.

[​IMG]

15. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

And if I'm not mistaken, Steve, that's Don "Brownie" Brown, the ARCA pace car driver, beside Elmer's car. Elmer won an ARCA race at Salem with that car when it was the biggest thing on the track. That was the year everybody started building Fairlanes and Chevelles, and he came out with a Galaxie.

16. Falconred

Falconred

Does anyone know of a quick way to add my name and such on photos. I have a lot (14 to 15 K) of scans of my negatives and would post more if I could get my ownership name on them. I have added this on photobucket but it is very time consuming. Thanks ahead of time.

17. Steelking22

Steelking22

Found this rig for sale on the web this weekend. I felt it relates to the subject of this excellent thread. Sad to say, I lust for this hauler ... sooo sweet. Final picture is what I'd haul with this dream machine. Hope everbuddy enjoys. :cool:

Steelking22
    1963 Plymouth Sport Fury
    383/4 speed

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I couldn't agree more, Steelking. That hauler and Ralph Earnhardt's Chevelle would be a perfect match.

19. Fastway

Fastway
    from London KY

built in 1995 by the late Piggy Kallin a 1950 Husdon
    [​IMG]

20. Fastway

Fastway
    from London KY

If you look past the 4 car you see Bubba G (Mike Glanz) old hauler painted Bubba Green. this is what he haul his old car to the track in 1995. Lousiville Motor Speedway

[​IMG]
    I heard it for sale by the man who owns it now in Louisville Ky, but it needs a lot of work

21. sm66p

sm66p
    from gone

22. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Cotati, Calif................1964

More turn #1 action from the PCLM race. Dick Bown's Mopar approaching the turn. Looks like Eddy Grey in the "formal window" Merc had a different idea about how to negotiate the turn.

[​IMG]

23. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Cotati, Calif..............1964

More turn #1 action. The only car I can identify here is one of Coz Concilla's 4 Dr Oldsmobiles which ran the PCLM circuit throughout the mid - late 60s. Some of his drivers were Jerry Oliver and Jim Cook, though I don't know who was driving this one.

[​IMG]

24. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Cotati, Calif....................1964

I don't know who was driving the Mopar. The Ford Galaxie could be that of Ron Hornaday Sr who drove one just like it on the PCLM circuit that year.

[​IMG]

25. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

EVOLUTION:

I found these Kil-Kare shots of the # 61 car, from Columbus Ohio. Don't know who the owner is, but through the years the drivers were Chuck Denney, John Ogden and Marvin Smith, to name a few.

There is also no doubt in my mind that there is a next step - a Camaro #61 that came a few years later. Does anyone have any photos of it ? Might be interesting to add to this series.

Enjoy..

Vegas Oldtimer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Steve, I'd say the Chevelle in the last shot is Marvin Smith, if only because of the sponsor on the quarter panel. Nice seeing Shorty Miller in the second one. Where were these taken, so I can label my copies?

27. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

John,

All were taken at Kil-Kare over a three or four year span, starting in 1966. First there was what appears to be a '37 Chevy Sportsman, a 57 Chevy Late Model, then the Chevelle. The interesting thing is always in the background. Those ambulances (Buick and Cadillac) were there before I started working at Kil-Kare, and were still in use when I left. I wonder what ever happened to them. I'd love to restore one, or both. The other interesting thing is the GMC pickup. It was my vehicle to drive around the grounds for the time I worked there. I would fetch and distribute fire extinguishers, grease sweep, cement, brooms, etc. before and after the race. It only had about 16000 miles on it by 1966 and had never been licensed for road use.

Memories !
    The Oldtmer....

28. arcarace

arcarace

Anybody beside myself notice that Elmer Davis's car is a '67 Galxie with a '68 front clip? Used to see a lot of guys stretching the year rules in USAC like that. One that comes to mind is puting a '65 dodge front clip on a '64 rear.

29. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Right, arcarace. The rules were also stretched quite often in ARCA, particularly when Marcum needed more cars. That car of Elmer's started as a complete '67, because it won the first ARCA race at Salem in 1967 in that form. I'm guessing the front end got damaged sometime before or early in the 1968 season and the '68 front clip was used as a replacement.

As an aside, one of Harry Hyde's two '64 Pontiacs at the Fairgrounds in Louisville for the 1964 seasons (I believe it was the No. 14 driven by Jesse Baird) had a '63 left rear quarter panel when the season started. Harry said they found a '64 body that was in pretty good shape except for that panel, which was ripped pretty bad. Since it was the side away from the crowd, he figured not many people would notice. He was right. I believe they changed that panel later when more of them became available.

Thanks for bringing up the note about Elmer's car. I was wondering what to use in this week's "Driven to the Past" on Frontstretch.com, and these would make a couple of neat stories.

30. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

Got some more Dodge Mirada pictures to share: