Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Our Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CANS01, Jul 2, 2010.

1. CANS01

CANS01
    from Illinois

Here's a pic of our Mercury. Although the TPI set-up is no longer being used. It was passed on to another project that a friend of mine is working on. Going with an LS based motor instead. It is a 1951 Mercury. I purchased it in this condition and have been collecting parts for awhile. It does not have a Mercury rear window and sorry this is the only shot of it I have of it. Haven't gotten to picture crazy yet. So far I have been able to get Buick side trim which seemed almost out of reach had it not been for a trip to Frog Follies in Evansville, Ind. Rear seat is the wrap around Thunderbird seat. Back glass I believe is a late 40's Ford. It needed virtually all new front body panels-fenders, hood, core support, inner fenders, and grill cavity. Most of which have all been found through this board---so hats off to this site. The grill going in it is from a DeSoto (came with the basket case) and the tail lights I believe are from a 54 Mercury.

Well enjoy the pic.

Attached Files:

2. jfrolka

jfrolka

Congrats, it has a real nice profile for the chop.... keep the pics coming, i dig it!!

3. Need more pic's......and join the HAMB Mercury Club too!!!!

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

looks like a cool project please feed the addiction for build photos

5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome aboard and good luck with the Merc project... Looks like you have a good
    start.

Happy Trails,

Mick

6. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice indeed!
    And you seem to have most of the hard work already done (Locating parts)
    Keep us posted....

7. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

Wanna see more!!!!!!!!

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks interesting. You can run the stock Merc core support by drilling two holes for the bolts from the core support to bolt it to the front crossmember piece. It does take some inner fender trimming to get them to fit the subframe and A arms. I put a lot of miles on a similar setup in the 51 that I had.

9. billys54

billys54

great start keep us posted.

10. hvychvy

hvychvy

Sweeeet,more pics when ya can!!

11. my47soto

my47soto

Those Mercs are my wife's favorite and I see why. Im thinking I might need to get myself one, one of these days

12. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Way to go...Good luck... More pictures please

13. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

never get tired of seeing merc projects. keep us posted.

14. CANS01

CANS01
    from Illinois

More pics. Enjoy. Also I joind the HAMB Mercury Club along with becoming an Alliance Member.

Attached Files:

15. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Nice start. I'd like to see a profile picture of the car so we can see how it flows with that rear plug in it.

16. CANS01

CANS01
    from Illinois

It'll have to wait. I don't have a lot of free time till September/October.

17. Nice, where in IL?

I have an LS1 background so I want to swap in something LS-related at some point m'self.

18. Nice! Mercs. rule. Keep us posted with more pics.

19. Welcome aboard! I did the same thing with my '50. Taking the time stockpiling parts really helps when actually doing the build. I always hate waiting to do something as I track down the parts. When I have time to work on it is when I have the time...not necessarily 5 or 6 days later. I have one of those 90 hour a week jobs and both time and money are precious commodities.

20. CANS01

CANS01
    from Illinois

Yeah we had fits and starts trying to get going then I realized it just wasn't worth starting on one job knowing it would be months to get the other job done. Plus I had another car that always seemed to suck the money away just as we were about to start...so I sold it.
    I have finally nailed down how I want the frame setup to be so now I feel comfortable starting this project. Had to get the foundation first. Then the rest will follow.

Also Pro Stock John--check your PM

21. Are you going to leave that rear window in there? Such a small window makes the C-pillar look HUGE! Kinda hard to tell without seeing a side view shot. Looks like alot of the hard work is done though. Did it come with all the front sheet metal,fenders,hood,etc?

22. CANS01

CANS01
    from Illinois

Yes for now I plan to leave the rear window as is... but I have the orginial window with frame in case I simply do not like how it looks but it is different. The window is laid down so when looking out the rear you only have about 4 to 5 inches of verticle sight...

This fall when I get the new frame under it I'm going to put the sheet metal on the front to see how it all flows. Yes it did come with front sheetmetal but it is in rough shape especially the grill shell. Flat-Top Bob is meeting me in Joplin with a lower grill pan hopefully it is in good enough shape. Mine is badly rusted and bent.

23. Did you find a frame, I only knew of a more door frame near Kankakee a while back not sure if the guy still has it. If you look for my Mercury parts thread I listed a guy in WI who sells used parts too. Returning your PM now.