Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you have a non-Ford body/SBC street rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Jul 3, 2010.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've bought about 4 books on building street rods. I was trying to get ideas for my '41 Plymouth Business Coupe. All of the books should be titled, "How to Build a Street Rod.............using a Ford body, a small block Chevy engine and a 9" Ford rear." I like Fords but...........Jesus. Let's have some variety. You can only do a Model A Ford and a 40 Ford so many ways. And don't get me started on 46-48 Fords..........

I'm sure there are some creative Hamb'ers out here who have lots of late 20's to late 40's street rods that don't prescribe to this formula. Let's see 'em.

2. rodger6494

rodger6494

I have a 29 Ford rpu w/a Dodge 318,and a Dana rear. I'd rather have it all Ford,and someday I will.I believe in Dodge in Dodge,and Ford in Ford.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slow day in NC? I'd say that the majority of us either don't have a Ford or have at least one non Ford rod in the batch that take up space in the driveway or garage.
    Right now I only have a sbc in my daily that came with one.

Now I need to go back out and figure out how to run vacuum lines on a Holley carb on an Edelbrock performer where there is only one vacuum port on the carb and one on the intake. And I have four things that need vacuum.

4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not slow. I've been busy in the shop all day. I finally got tired of trying to make the original engine/electrical system in my 41 reliable. (I think that's impossible.) I'm on the lookout for a SB Mopar engine, some yet to be defined tranny and a Jeep/Dakota rear to go into it. I really wanted to wait until I had time to do a frame off to go to the leve but I've had it with the old drivetrain. So, I'll update the drivetrain and drive it while I finish my '64 Catalina. Then, I'll take my time and finish the '41.

5. George

George

Buddy of mine & member here has a 41 Plym 2 dr with a 354. My 48 has a 331.

6. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Thank god for you people.

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

37 chevy p/u with no sbc.

8. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

39 chevy , 327 turbo 350 ,10 bolt chevy rear ,4 wheel discs car is all gm. except for the heidts mustang II front end and ford rack.

Attached Files:

9. cool 39.what color ya goin ta paint it?? :)

10. bowtie40

bowtie40

I'm kind of lazy, so I put a SBC. into a 40 chev... go figure.

11. Billa212

Billa212
    from Milwaukee

1950 Chrysler...I have a 350/350, but it isn't in yet, trying to get a small block mopar for it

Attached Files:

12. dndrodshop

dndrodshop
    from Wales

One with 440 / 727 E-Body 8-3/4 on stock spring (bolt in - no mods)
    The other under contruction w/ 5.2 magnum 5-speed w/ another E-body 8-3/4 4-bar rear air bags.

13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love your car, Ed!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet Chevy! I like it like it!

15. dndrodshop

dndrodshop
    from Wales

Did you ever see Tex Smith's How to Build Chrysler Plymouth Dodge Hot Rods?

Older publication but he lays out A-motor installation in early mopar body.

Attached Files:

16. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have some "excerpts" that others have shared with me but I'm not paying $150 for that book. "The Hot Rodder's Bible", so far, is the best of the bunch that I've acquired.

You don't have an extra copy of Tex's book you want to sell reasonably, do you?

17. dndrodshop

dndrodshop
    from Wales

18. i know how you feel. i do searches all the time looking for info/pics for my 36 pontiac build, only to get 36 ford results. i copped out though, i'm gonna run a 283 in this one.

19. always wanted to builda driver truck with a PONTIAC Overhead cam6....that is one hell of a motor!! even came with a Holley 4brl on some

20. I have a 32 Chevy 5 window with a 350 Chevy small block. I've owned the car since 1972 and rebuilt it 3 times. Owned a number of cars but never a Ford.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      157.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      250.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aw c'mon. I've got a 326 Poncho you could build and put in it!

22. George

George

There's a link somewhere on the board to the LA in a 48 Plym article.

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

George, I searched but did not find. If anyone has that link bookmarked, please post it.
    Thanks
    Rock

24. 4woody

4woody

25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, the last straw broke the camel's back this weekend. I originally was going to get my 41 running and "reliable" with the flathead 6. I planned to drive it for a while like that while I finished up my Catalina. This past week, I had the radiator flushed and it turned up full of holes. Then, the damned 6V starter gave up the ghost on Saturday morning. That was the last straw.

So, today I removed the front end and the engine/tranny. I'm going to put a SB Mopar, AX-15 and a Dakota rear axle in it. I'm also changing it over to 12V. I just can't take it any more. :)

I was trying to hold off and then do a full restoration on the car when I did the power train. I guess I'm going to get it reliably driveable and drive it a while, then take it apart and do the restoration. The only thing I hate about this is having two cars in disassembly at the same time. My shop is getting cramped.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  26. Kinky6

Kinky6

You might send a PM to David Walter here on the HAMB to compare notes. He has a '41 Plymouth sedan w/ a 354 hemi; he's put over 200K+ miles on it.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

My '48 Plymouth has a "breathed on" 360 Tremac five speed kinda deal going on. There was a thread from last week called Rattlers/Premier frame and body BBQ from last week, look it up and check out the video of my car doing immature squirrely kinda stuff on one of Phoenix's main streets. Just click on the only picture on the page and let it load. As far as putting your small block in your stock chassis, pretty easy to do. I have not done the deal in several years, so I'm not aware of the later model exhaust systems and such. I'll recommend the way it was done about twenty years ago. You need a pair of "A" or "B" body exhaust manifolds from any seventies Mopar. These will allow you to use your stock steering. Put the engine in the compartment, and it will fit only in only one place. It ends up offset a little to the right, about 11/2" or so. Make some tabs to pick up the stock mounts. You will need to clearance the firewall right behind the pass. cylinder head, as it contacts. Build a trans mount to match the offset, that's it. When the whole deal is right, the drivers exhaust manifold just wrap around the steering column with about a half inch of clearance. The offset by the way, is exactly how Mopar fit this same motor in every "A" body they ever made.

28. ricky from va

ricky from va

Hey rockable: Just a few notes. the plymouth builds are out there but seems like no one post much on the net. this is where it will direct you any way. next thing is You should do a book on this subject I know I will buy a copy. and last ill drive over and take all that junk you strip off your plymouth. my 53 can always use spairs. ricky

29. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make me an offer! Engine, tranny, rear axle, drive shaft, etc.!