Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Jersey help...King Pin Bushing repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sugarlou, Jul 2, 2010.

1. sugarlou

sugarlou

I have a '61 Ford f100 front axle on my truck and the driver side king pin and or king pin bushing is worn out..any NJ guys know of a place/guy who can remove and ream new bushing for me?

2. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Lou,you can try Al-x on Chestnut St.Ask for Jerry.

3. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I highly recommend Dutchman Fabrications from right here on the HAMB.

Ask for Gary: 631-589-4550. He's in Long Island, only a UPS truck away. Super fast service, and he does it right: no reaming, he line-bores them.

4. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

Another good machine shop is Centereach Auto Parts on LI.(631) 585-8850 and ask for Mike or Butch. Tell them Jack Reinhard told you to call. They will be able to R&R the bushings and finish the sizing with a Sunnen hone. Reaming is a poor alternative. Centereach has been around since 1962 and when you go deal with them there is a wealth of experience and knowledge behind the counter.

You will have to get the spindles removed, if you are not up to the mechanical part maybe ask someone you know or a mobile repair service could do the wrench work. It is a fairly easy job but usually dirty as heck from the grease & road grime that accumulated over the years. Once the tapered locating pin is removed it is usually a pretty easy job. If stuff if frozen then you have to use the blue wrench (Oxy Acetylene torch) to get things to free up. If you are going to the bushing replacement do it do both sides.

Heck....if you get the bushing kit, UPS the spindles and kit to me and I will fit them for free except the cleaning if they have to be tanked. Cept' I am in North Florida.....

5. sugarlou

sugarlou

rjaustin thats awful nice of you. I'm sure I can get the spindles off.. Lemmie give Al-x a call tomorrow..he's right up the street. thanks kkoa

6. tromollo

tromollo
    from Easton PA

I would not bother .Get a set of kingpins with the needle bearings instead of the brass bushings .speedway sells them for about $145 you dont need to ream anything and it takes about 20 min each side to do .real easy and the truck will steer like its got power stearing

7. sugarlou

sugarlou

ahhh ..wasn't aware of that option tromollo

but can't find a kit there for later model Ford...mine is '61

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  8. willymakeit

willymakeit

Is there a way to hone them by hand ?

9. sugarlou

sugarlou

this is my first straight axle car..I have no idea. Just know the driver side king pin /bushing wobbles around when you lift the truck..plus I have the jackass pogo front end situation at highway speeds ..I figured the bushing is bad so that's step #1

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Hey, Brad.....you really went from one thing to another, huh!
    Anyway....I'm reall not sure if this guy is still around, or in business any more.
    Olsen's.
    Go out past Rahway prison going toward Carteret, he's a small crowded gas station building on the left hand side. He was THE man to see if you wanted your front end done right, back when I was still living up there. I would guess he's pretty old by now (he was older than me!) so he might not be there, or maybe someone bought his business out.
    Check with Vic to see if he's still around?

11. sugarlou

sugarlou

Thanks Mark ..I'll have to drive by cause nothing comes up in a google search

Does it say Olsen on the building???

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  12. Heres a friendly suggestion to you when you get your rig up and running again, and all HAMBers w/ king pins. When you grease the pins, JACK UP the car/truck first, and allow the wheels and axle to hang by the spring. Put your jack stands under the frame rails, and grease away, this ensures and allows the grease to get to the critical areas of the pin and pin bore. They will last significantly longer.

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Yeah, it used to...always LOTS of cars outside, an old gas station, with no pumps.

14. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Not really. You need to hone them both (upper and lower bushing) at the same time, to ensure the bores are aligned with each other, in the same axis. Otherwise the king pin will bind up.

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm pretty sure he's still there Mark. Billy lives literally 2 blocks from there so I pass it every time I go over his place. The sign looks like a Gulf station, except it says "Olsen's"

16. check and make sure the retaining bolt in the axle is tight also check the axle bolt for wear

17. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Yep, it's there. Not sure if its the same guy or not...

I would also recommend Perth Amboy Spring. I do alot with them through work and they have always treated us right. Ask for J.R. and tell him Bill or Bob from Landscape Maintenance sent you.

18. I mean ,also make sure you check the axle "boss" not bolt for wear......old age kickin in..........

19. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

Olsen the business is still there
    old man not there anymore - retired
    they still do good work
    alot of shop around here still use them
    or try
    BBC in Linden
    Mike and Joe Bontempo
    1539 West Blancke St Linden NJ
    908-862-6336
    They are a real Speed Shop (new and used parts in stock)
    plus Machine Shop in backroom so the work is done right there

20. sugarlou

sugarlou

I know BBC...thanks guys..gonna roll by Olsens tomorrow after work

21. willymakeit

willymakeit