Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1953 poncho custom ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by punkabilly1306, May 27, 2010.

1. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

yeah, thats the car...I didn't care if it was a chevy or pontiac, I just like this basic body style. I really think the hump is an eyesore and is just "there", so at the factory the GM designers can say they did something different then the chevys. I am keeping most of the trim on, especially the hood and trunk straps.

2. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

at least I'm glad you like my colour choice lol

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any parts you decide not to use on this car, let me know! I'm interested for a resto I'm doing!! PM sent!!

Thanks!

4. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Ha! I keep suggesting it and getting shot down....men and their selective hearing, reading, looking, doing, blah blah blah. =o)

5. Well I've been hoarding all shades of blues. There was this 32 at the HAMB drags that made me pee a little. The first pic is how the camera captured it...the second pic I tweaked a little to replicate what I KNOW I saw!!!:D

Also, I'm glad somebody finally bought that thing! Did he really remove the trim and sell it off? I hadn't noticed so may I ask how much you paid...if it is not too bold a move?

I'm now on the search for custom pontiac pics. In the meantime, drool over this blue!

Attached Files:

6. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

The blue I'm thinking is the blue that is on the '99-'03 chevy silverados. The dark blue on top and they usually have a light tan on the bottom.

7. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

Even with the things removed that are removed, I still feel as thought I got a good deal and a good car. I am happy and I believe he is happy the car is gone, so I guess both parties are happy= successful deal

8. glad your happy with it, just saw this thread, some really cool ideas so far...I'm happy it's gone and I picked up the '54 Belair I wanted so everything worked out good

9. As long as both parties are happy, what more could you ask for? I'm still on the look out for some "custom" pics for ya, I just had to get some catfish. My world stops for catfish!:eek:

10. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

this is what is called a "successful deal", glad you got the car you were after.

11. I know this first one may not even be a chevy or at least the same year, but dig the chop and the quarter and taillight treatment. And I know the second car is a convert, but dig all the other custom touches.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  12. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

that '54 pontiac looks amazing, even with the hump...anymore info on it?

13. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Leave the Poncho a Poncho, Bob. If you want a CHEVY come and get a TRUCK from me and I'll take the Pontiac and find me a 455 and a 5 speed to put in the Indian. Put her on the ground, WWW, skirts, polish that trim to a fine shine and whatever Brandy tells me to paint her.

My first love was a Poncho that was left in a barn down the street when I was a kid. I tried to buy it but back then it was a BITCH to get a title. Now it isn't so bad, the barn is gone, and so is the Poncho.

14. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

15. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

he did/does want a chevy but he is moving to florida in a few weeks, so he is selling this one and is going to buy one down there. I think I'm going to keep the hump in the rear and put in some packard lenses. Have to finish all of the other projects first, before I can really work on the car.

16. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

OK...good luck to both of you! I still got trucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. I'm still hittin' the books for pics. It seems when no one is looking for inspiration, I find all the cool stuff. I think I'm just gonna start scanning whatever, whenever just to be safe.

18. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

hahaha ya somebody come hold me down, my head is starting to swell. :eek:

19. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

its the pics you posted that made me want to keep the hump and put in some packard lenses.

20. That's cool. When I had found that, I thought, "Now that is a classy fin." Not like those over-the-top Caddy graft-ons. Have you located some Packard taillights? If not, and I'm not sure if I've posted it yet, I'm pretty sure I have a tech article on making some.

21. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

I have found some lenses on ebay, but they were pretty crazy priced...I have time to wait until the right deal comes around. Post up that tech article!

22. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Just tell me I can carry that buttercreme over to the roof. And can that dark blue be kind of like the color on Jesse James' 51 Merc? Blue piping on the seats? Leather? Rechrome everything on the dash so it sparkles? What about the Indian head? Can the chief still light up?

I wonder if I can get the hood trim onto an AD truck hood. Make me a Poncho Pickup!!

23. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

You got time to learn how to make your own Packard lights. If you do it right, you can probably sell a set or two for crazy prices on eBay and pay for your Poncho!

24. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

I never thought of the Jesse James merc blue colour, that is one good lookin' blue!!! Some buick swooping side trim would look good as well, with the creme colour inside the swoop.

I need to find that article on making your own packard lenses, I joined the tech archive page but can't find it anywhere :(

25. I have it ready. I think the ones they have in the article are more lincoln-esque but if you could wrap your mind around making a Packard style mold it'd prolly work. Look for it later today or tomorrow at the latest.:)

26. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

could you throw up a link when you get it posted?

27. Got it up. Basically if you were to fashion the sheet metal with a round bar frame, you could make your own bucket and paint it white for extra reflectivity, and then make a "buck" for the lens, take a sheet of red plexiglass and mold it on the buck. Also, you could put one of those "office-style" diffuser panels to help dispurse the light.

Here is the link to the "how-to":

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...=289&discussionid=&gmid=238846#gmessage238846

And to some plexiglass:

http://www.professionalplastics.com/PLEXIGLASS-ACRYLICSHEET-EXTRUDED

28. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

awesome, and seems pretty straight forward...thank you!!!

29. No problem...I thought I had another one around here somewhere, or maybe I heard it from some old timer but word is hot water is enough to form plexiglass...and of course a hair dryer.

30. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

a hair dryer seems like it would work and I would have never though of that, you get all the heat without the risk of the flame