Register now to get rid of these ads!

HARD Lesson Learned About Chinese Junk!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Desoto Hemis (Dodge and Chrysler too) have a cam plate that bolts to the front of the block that keeps the cam in place. They aren't like a Chevrolet where you need a cam button with a roller cam.

2. sololobo

sololobo

Sometimes trying to cut cost you go from a smart feller, to a fart smeller. We have all been there so hope you aren't to critical of your self. Hope your damage is minimal. ~Sololobo~

3. Preach it Brian. Hemi's are a different beast entirely.

4. 73RR

73RR

5. Morris

Morris
    from UK

I believe it's the cam/distributer gears that push the cam forward. Doesn't matter if it's FT or roller, it still needs a cam "button".

6. BULLDOG - I'm in NY for the Summer, but thanks MUCH for the offer...it's greatly appreciated...:D

7. 73RR

73RR

The taper that is ground into the lobe causes the cam to 'want' to move. Modern flat tappet cams will have ½ of the lobes taper to the front and the other ½ taper to the rear to balance, but some cams have been ground with all of the taper in one direction thus requiring either a button or a bearing to compensate.
    Perhaps 'brand-x' engines need a button, but not the early Hemi.

8. Also note the cam of an early hemi is retained behind a plate. It can only move forword as far as the plate.

9. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

like 4 days ago i balked about chinese junk and got all these morons telling me how chinese stuff is superior and so on.............
    the shocking part is one dude was from pittsburgh........... his grandfather was most likely doing flips in his casket.
    lol thats the hamb for ya

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it possible that the lift of the cam was more than the play in the link could handle? If the lifter moves up far enough, all of the "play" in the link would be gone, and you'd have the rising lifter trying to pull up it's partner, and at an angle that might well shear the pins off.

11. Valve lift is only .375...

12. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

The thing that is messing up the Chinese parts is this, because their factories are newer and they are obsessed with showing everyone how smart they are they have taken to remixing the alloy contents of almost all of the metals used in industry, this is because they are cheap or shall we say capitalistic, when they get into making speed parts and exotic alloy stuff they cant even get close to reproducing it because they just cant bear to spend on the ingredients that make good steel, or brass or aluminum or anything else, your'e always way better off with old stock or domestic although lately we have been cheating on ingredients too.

13. A buddy of mine put some magic mystery "white box" lifters (hydraulic) in his rebuilt 354 (with a pretty mild Isky cam in it), and man did they make some noise. We tried to adjust it several times (adjustable pushrods) but to no avail.

He contacted the place where he bought them, but didn't get any satisfying response. He ended up buying new lifters from the same place (mistake) and got the same "white box" lifters. The result was the same; extreme noise and lifters that collapsed and wouldn't hold pressure.

Today we took a set of new Lunati lifters that's been left over from another friend's 440 rebuild and put in the 354.... nice and quiet!

14. Shortly after I Posted this, I ordered a set of Lunati Small Block (273-360) hydraulic retro rollers. They're made for Lunati by Gear Company of America in Cleveland, OH (Morel lifters). They are a new offering from Lunati, for the SBM engines, and are on back order...they get snapped up as soon as they hit the shelves. I figured I gan't go wrong with Lunati (Morel's)..made in america. Gear company of America is also a major OEM roller lifter supplier. BTW, the Lunati's are $339 + free Shipping, from Race Mart in Tampa...